Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ill-fated systems of the '90s

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

They're here -> http://www.boards.ie/gathering/

Also via board.ie\ sitemap\ gathering on the top menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I had a 3do and i had one of the best games i ever played and can`t remember the name.Please help. It was a 2 player split screen war game with a choice of tank,jeep or helicopter and all the way tru was a classic music track and loud explosions and stuff.
    was like Silkworm 2(SWIV) but a 2player game against each other .
    Anyone who had one please can you help me name that game?

It was the classic game 'Return Fire'. Such a good game! I think it was eventually ported over onto PC. Used to play it for hours with my brothers. The object was to capture the enemy's flag from their base and then bring it back to yours. You could use a small or large tank and the helicopter to blast the enemy defenses, then you had to use the little jeep with no weapons to go in and collect the flag. :D

Still have the 3DO stashed away in a drawer somewhere, along with the games. Have some really cool games like Return Fire, Need for Speed & Demolition Man (it was great at the time purely for the novely value of having movie clips IN a game. The actual mechanics of the game are pretty poor). Have some truly AWFUL looking demos that were just hideous to play from the official 3DO magazine -- I remember one where you played as this guy who had a mini-helicopter rotor to fly around and shoot things, something like 'Coptor Cop', but it was DIRE. There was also this tragic FPS called "PO'd", talk about woeful graphics, and the game just CRAWLED along.

The Atari Jaguar, I only played a few times -- rented one plus 'Alien vs Predator' for a night, and it was just terrible. Those joypad.... a calculator with some gaming buttons added as an afterthought, HORRIBLE!

*edit* Just realised the person who was looking for the name of that game has probably either forgotten all about it in the 2 years since s/he asked, or has long since discovered the name :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Oh man, the Saturn!!

Was that an ill-advised move, or what? (even though it had some great games!)

SEGA thought that 3-d gaming was just going to be a fad for the forseeable when they released that, so they updated their tried-adn-tested stuff, the Saturn has some of the best 2-d rendering of any system ever made.

Unfortunately it was too expensive, and thes the PlayStatio happened:o

I have to say though, they completely redeemed themselves with the DC, that was an excellent design, aparently easy/cheap to develop for too, just never had enough of a userbase to entice enough proper third party support!

But everyone should have one for the SEGA games alone imo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The sofware only rendering of 3D on the saturn was a silly move by Sega. It could do all the effects that the PS could do but it just took some very skillful programming. Even still just look at the saturns best looking 3D game, Panzer Dragoon Azel. It maybe a lovely looking Saturn game but it looks like an early PS game and has some terrible pop-up. The nicer looking games also tend to be RPGs and can get away with slow frame rates (the exceptions being Panzer Dragoon Azel and the saturn version of Quake which are small miracles of programming).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

The dreamcast was very very easy and cost effective to program for as it ran off a windows ce version so games could easily port from dc to pc and back.

Problem was with the saturn sega lost out huge to sony and the dc was left with far too much ground to make up. Still a fantastic machine adn easily the most beautiful...

• Advertisement
Advertisement