Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring up cable

• 18-01-2001 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

just thinking about putting some tv cable sockets into the upstairs bedrooms of the house (and escape from 2 channel hell), we already have the 1 downstairs.

just wondering how you would go about this?, could you do it yourself or get an electrician?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Ring Cablelink, they'll do it for 25 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

they wont give me legal stick about having to get extra licenses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Cabling is a tricky process but easily mastered. As for licensing to quote my own tv license:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The above named person is hereby authorised....blah..blah...to keep and have possesion for wireless telgraphy for recieving sound and visual images in colour and monochrome broadcast by a broadcasting station.</font>

Which in english means you can have as many tellys or radios as ya like. Cablelink don't care either.

So while personaly I like to do the cabling myself £25 quid will save a lot of hassle and probably look nicer.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

smile.gif
    Its not hard if you have been shown (which luckily I was, well I watched and learned I guess smile.gif)

The real pain in the ass is running cable around a house and keeping it hidden i.e. you might have to run in under floorboards, and/or have to take up carpets etc. This is if u want a neat job, which I might add, I have never seen any cable or telephone company do. They just staple the cables to the skirting board (which is fine by me, but ****es my parents off)

But basically, if you are completely inexperienced and want to learn how to do these things, you might as well give it a shot. There is nothing that requires a rocket scientist involved in the wiring, just dont be awkward smile.gif.

If however you couldnt give a crap about knowing how to do these things for the future, then yea, £25 is prolly easier smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Renty reads the above replies.... (sillyness)

Okay mate its fairly easy to do what you want to do.

First off you need to get your hands on some CO-Axial Cable (get this in any hardware shop) i.e. Mulveys or something, Lay the cables by whatever way you want (in the corner under the carpet .. etc) then put connections in each end , which is easy enough, Strip about 1 inch off the end of the Co-Axial cable then you will see kinda netty golden wires, pull them back but dont cut them, You will then see an inner cable (covered in white plastic), Strip about 2 cm of that. till you have a copper wire showing. Then get your TV connector bit, and then unscrew the back of it and you will find a piece that comes off (little silver metal bit which goes onto the wire.
    plug it into the connector and then screw the whole lot back togehter
    (thats one end)

The other end you wire directly into the wall socket

im not gonna explain how to do that as i have to go take a sh!t now, so em.. yeah read a book bout it
    or pay that other bloke 25 squids wink.gif

RentZ

• Advertisement
Advertisement