Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bankers and their questions

Options
  • 18-02-2002 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

The following anecdote was told by David Norris during a Seanad debate about aib's current crisis:

In the 1950s there was a farmer in the midlands who wanted a loan of £100 to build a bathroom extension to his farmhouse. He went to the bank and the bank manager said that he would put the proposal to the group which vetted those loans but he would have to ask the farmer some questions first. The farmer said that was fine. The bank manager asked the farmer whether he owned his house. He said yes. Did he have a mortgage on it? A small mortgage. Did he have family? Yes, a daughter and two sons. Did he have any kind of indoor sanitation? No. The grilling went on, until the farmer turned to the bank manager and said: "You have asked me some fairly personal detailed questions. Do you mind if I ask you some in return?" The bank manager said that this was very unusual but told the farmer to go ahead.

The farmer asked the bank manager whether he owned a house. He did. Did he have a mortgage? No. Did he have family? Yes, three daughters and two sons. Did he have a bathroom? He had two bathrooms. The farmer then asked him how often he took a bath. The bank manager said that was a very personal question. The farmer replied, "Well, it may be, but if you are expecting me to lick your arse for £100 I am entitled to know what condition you keep it in."

Comments

Advertisement