Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hhuuummm

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Online petition.... now thats the kind of brainwave thats needed. Right - Im definatly going to get that into the site.

This site is GOING to make a difference. Lets make sure of that.

The address will come soon......

--Chris--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

Chris

Good man that would be another weapon to the arsenal.

Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Sperimator- i know its **** for gaming, hence why i didnt mention it smile.gif iirc you can get 2 way satellite connections but they cost a bit. You can get download only though, and use modem for upload, so you will have about 60K/sec 24/7 downloading, if you have a queue of stuff setup you dont even have to go online with your modem to keep downloading. Its no good for games, i know that (works out at about a 550 ping with the best possible conditions) to a normally good server. Satellite is good for leeching and surfing though...

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭^Sanantagio

Stone, the petition was my idea biggrin.gif , give me the credit biggrin.gif

San

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I've been crawled by people with *dsl*.eircom.net referrer strings since Mar 2000 so it would appear ADSL technology is working in selected Irish homes. Eircom flew a kite with a pricing scheme that's well-removed from the mass market. You won't see that pricing scheme change unless ODTR let Eircom pump broadband entertainment they've created down their ADSL.

It might help if the local loop was unbundled so we can get some real competition into the dense-packed city areas.

/Bernie Goldbach
    http://www.topgold.com/connect/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes ^Sanantagio, when we are sitting on our 50 meg pipes, for £20 a month, you will get all the credit.

Sanantagio

To be honest i tried to spell petition but it kept looking funny so i plumped for letter lol. So indeed you have credit for the idea of a petition.

Main thing is that we get as many ppl to sign it.If Dahamsta hasnt posted the draft letter by tommoro ill start a new thread here on tech with a draft of our own so ppl can check it for facts spelling gramma and content ok.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭^Sanantagio

biggrin.gif sounds good .
    We need to get all major gaming & business websites to support us too, maybe a link to our webiste (Chris hows it coming ? ) so we can get some big hits on the web site, and get the petition signed and sent off with the letter, biggrin.gif

It should work biggrin.gif

San

The website is slowly getting there. Just one or two more sections and a couple of graphics to do. It is taking such a time since I have to be very careful about what I say. Cant defame companies.

I will try and get it launched soon. Not this weekend I wouldnt think, but the next or the one after. I'll keep you all posted.

--Chris--

Ok ive posted the letter on this forum under the heading Eircom.protest.letter inventingly enough hehehe.coments sugestions [sensible] welcome.

Stone

• Advertisement

I think that people who read this rant and want to create a tidal rant ought to publish single pages where they explain in simple terms how slow teleco service costs them money. Then each page should be linked to a web ring with a focal page that gives the passing punter an idea of what's going on.

The only way the State gets in the face of big business is when many little people begin grumbling out loud. There's more grumbling about teachers striking, road gridlock, dead cows, and Dublin rats in blocked sewers than there is about alphabet soup telecomms. So you have to make this a tidal rant.

People have been talking about the real impacts of constraints on the local loop since at least 1995. That's the first time I heard it mentioned in a public session (during a DCU meeting before the Information Society existed).

You're p i s s i n g in the wind unless you join forces and let observers see raw numbers who care about this stuff.

Faster datacomms is essential to competitive e-business. High speed lines make multi-user international games zones possible. But nobody is going to give you second notice if you cannot prove you speak for hundreds of disgruntled citizens.

I'm not happy either so count me in. I'll do a web page about my views and link to this thread and to the pages of other people. I'll call into several TDs. I'll tell my barber about the high costs of high speed phone service. I'll write 800 words about it for Connect. I'll send letters to several national papers. I'm make a few banners about the campaign once there's an online petition to sign and identifiable people to lead the charge. It would be helpful if those posting here would do some of these things too. Otherwise, nothing will continue to happen.

/Bernie Goldbach Dublin.Thurles.return
    url="http://www.topgold.com"]HSCSD on Citygold[/url

[This message has been edited by topgold (edited 13-01-2001).]

I agree if anything is going to change we need massive suport.Thats what this is all about making it easier for ppl to get there vioces heard as no offence here i include myself in this that people are generaly lazy when it comes to this kind of thing.Needles to say alot of people feel that whats the point as they never listen you only have to look at the voting to see this what was it last time round? about 42% actualy bothered to vote.There is the suport for this i feel but dont bother asking people to queue at the clinic to see there local TD as people just wont bother.

Stone

There is a lot that people can do besides rant on this board. If not getting reasonably priced ADSL bothers you, then say something to a pressure point outside of this community. Going to a TD works, although I know most people wouldn't. Writing letters to the national papers work too, because PR companies clip them and use them as evidence of public opinion. Those same clipper companies don't Hoover boards.

/Bernie on Citygold
    [HSCSD on the Dublin.Cork line]

I keep trying to explain this but ****e it doesnt seem to sink in .The idea is to have a final draft of the letter i posted [or whoever comes up with the better letter] on this forum once we have a letter most people are happy with then we just print it off in the comfort of our own homes sign your own name on the bottom pop it in the post to the relevant persons/TD?[who`s name`s and address should also be posted] In other words a petition each person sending his or her own name on a formal open letter instead of having all the names on one peice of paper.

Stone

I was thinking - this letter will have to be by the postal system.

So, on my website, I will not be giving Ms Doyles email address, because if a thousand people for instance send it to her, I will be accused of spamming and I will get into ****.

Postal ones arent traced in the same way, or something. You know what I mean.

Next week the website should be launched. Been sick for a few days.

--Chris--

Chris thats the idea like kind of a spam on paper sent to show how strong a feeling there is in the comunity.Its hard to ignore sacks apon sacks of letters

Stone

I added a few bits to the letter you posted, and am setting it up on my website. The new draft is under the Eircom Protest Letter post.

Cheers,

--Chris--

Advertisement