Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagate HDD

• 18-02-2002 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

OK, I got a new 20GB seagate hdd for myself nearly 2 months ago. Formatted it for linux and installed. Then after less than 1 month, it starts giving hassle. It started first with one partition not being unmounted properly, and itime(?) flags were left set, when they should have been off. Linux problem I thought, then it got worse. After a few hours of using it, it would make a horrible grinding noise and then the OS wouldn't be able to access it at all. Windoze of course just died on me (I had a windows partition on it too). Linux of course, being ever-helpful informed me of an ide0 irq error. Then it would 'reset' ide0 and try access the drive again, but to no avail, returning the error 'Drive Busy'.

I'm stumped. I thought the drive may have been overheating, but it's not jammed in with loads of other drives, it gets plenty of ventilation, and it is a brand new drive. If I leave it for an hour or two, it becomes accessible again, hence why I thought it was overheating(letting it cool down). I went to the seagate site, and it seems to be very windoze oriented. In fact the only linux stuff on the site were links to linux HOWTOs. The drive did come formatted as one huge DOS partition. Could it be that the drive just doesn't like linux? Help me :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Well the drive dosen't give a toss what filing system is put on it, its like having a wall and you decide the style of shelves you are going to use.

Anyway what I'd suggest (especially if you heard a grinding noise) is if seagate or where ever you bought it from have a hard disk testing program then run it, it might tell you the drive is gone! (EG gateway use a gwscan to test their drives so check which test they recognise because they might not like a third party testing program).

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Ive the same drive, they do cause extreme heat, and can be very loud, the newer models are better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

nearly 2 months ago

If its only 2 months old my first priority would be to get an RMA and get it replaced. It shouldn't be giving problems like that and theres no point in trying to get it working if you can get a nice shiny new one for €5 of postage. In the end if there's something wrong it will probably end up dying with all your data on-board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by leeroybrown

If its only 2 months old my first priority would be to get an RMA and get it replaced. It shouldn't be giving problems like that and theres no point in trying to get it working if you can get a nice shiny new one for €5 of postage. In the end if there's something wrong it will probably end up dying with all your data on-board.

Yeah that's what I was considering. There is no data on it, cos it's all on my other HDD with windoze, so I'm not worried about it completely dying on me. I bought it in peats :rolleyes:. Will they honour a warranty if I have no receipt? Anyone know? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Dunno about Peats:

But if you've got no reciept then normally you'll have trouble.

I keep all my reciepts for any PC related stuff in with my manuals and driver disks in one box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I suggest you run Seagate's Seatools disk checker program to see what's going on. It unpacks onto a bootable floppy disk you can use to run a full check, and issues the error codes you'll need for an RMA.

Gadget

Advertisement