Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is scandisk problem hard drive scar??

• 18-02-2002 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I am driven demented and hope you can help. Several weeks ago I ran into general processing problems on my home PC, which led to an eventual full re-install of my OS (Windows ME _ I know, I know, it came with the PC!)

Was trying to scandisk and defrag last night, and it would not let me scandisk in thorough mode, which I needed to do as defrag hit an impass.

There were NO processes running in the background, virus scan was off, active desktop, etc was off, but still it kept stopping at the same point in the scan and restarting

After 10 restarts the usual query came up suggesting that they were processes shared or somesuch, none of which was true (lies, I tells ya, all lies!)

Anyone any ideas/suggestions/therapy?

Cheers in advance
    Hedge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by hedgetrimmer

There were NO processes running in the background, virus scan was off, active desktop, etc was off, but still it kept stopping at the same point in the scan and restarting

silly question but im sure u went CTRL+ALT+DEL and END TASK on all there cept explorer and systray then started scandisk ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Did you try running scandisk in safe mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Run SCANDISK in DOS (not a command window - restart in DOS mode or boot off a suitably-formatted floppy). That's the only way you can be absolutely certain there are no background processes that are interfering.

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

is there a screensaver?
    I came accross this problem when doin' 20 gigs using thorough option and it stopped as the screensaver kicked in.

in other words "turn off screensaver"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Thanks for the replies guys.

Found out after a 3 hr scan and 1 hr defrag, that Windows ME has a bug which copies the CAB files before any changes are implemented, thus causing scandisk to start again everytime it reads a CAb file (at least I think that the eplanation)

Anyway, for all experiencing a similar problem, there is a fix at

http://www.computerproblems.com/answer.cfm?AnswerID=26631&QuestionID=26694&CatID=39

Basically, the solution is to go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

hit products update and dowload (and it auto-installs) Window IDE Hard Drive Cache Package. This will fix the bug for you...

See? I solve problems too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I just ran Windows update myself,

"The "11 February 2002 Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer" update eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting Internet Explorer 6, as well as six new vulnerabilities"

I'm glad Opera is my first choice of browser.

Advertisement