Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice-sex inside-not really.

• 21-01-2001 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

hey got a wee problem.

I have two hard drives on my computer.

Orginall i had a 3gb one which has windows installed on it. But then i got a new 20gb one cos the 3gb one was full. So i moved some stuff to the 20gb and added more since. But now i want to sell my 3gb hard-drive and i was wondering first of all,

1. How do i make partitions on the 20gb hard-drive with out losing the files already on it.

2. Should i install windows from new, onto one of the partitions or is it possible to move everything that is on the 3gbdrive to the 20gb dsrive partition and make that partition bootable. (if ya get me!)

Thanks in advance for any help.

gideon2000.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Why sell a 3gb hdd? smile.gif
    You will only get about £10 tops for it smile.gif

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gideon2000:

1. How do i make partitions on the 20gb hard-drive with out losing the files already on it.
    </font>

You can't. You have to format the disk in order to partition it. I think there is some commercial programs out there that will make a "virtual" partition put I wouldn't trust them. If you are using Windows 2000 it can do the same but..........
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gideon2000:

2. Should i install windows from new, onto one of the partitions or is it possible to move everything that is on the 3gbdrive to the 20gb dsrive partition and make that partition bootable. (if ya get me!)
    </font>

.....it still wouldn't be bootable. I'd recommend formatting all the drives and reinstalling windows on the 20G (making sure you have proper boot and installation disks) but you probably don't want to go to that much trouble.

If you XCOPY (look up in windows help) the windows directory to the 20G all you have to do is change the boot order in the BIOS and it will boot from the 20G. You might find that your shortcuts don't work anymore and you might have copy your applications to the 20G too, or reinstall them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Partition Magic (latest version is 6) will let you repartition your harddrive without erasing any data already on it. Yes it's a commercial software but it's easy enough to find if you look around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Ya im sellin the 3gb as part of computer not by its-self. I'll have a look for that partition magic. I don't want to lost the files i got on the big hard-drive and don't have anywhere to put them while i format it.
    As for reinstallin i can't cos so many of the stuff was downloaded fromt the internet and the install files are long gone. not to mention all those upgrades and lucky finds!

But thanks anyhew.

gideon2000.jpg

Advertisement