Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the Road

Options
  • 18-02-2002 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Just started on the road by Kerouac (about 60 pages in) and it has already grabbed me...one of the best books i've read in ages and one that has been on my list of 'must reads' for ages. Well recommended for those who haven't read it and any comments from those who have?

cheers
    m

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I read it about 10 years ago, so it's probably time to re-read it! I loved it so much I photocopied a particular passage and still have it stuck on my bedroom wall! a little passage about how he himself was the quiet type but was attracted to people full of life and would try anything - written in a more poetic way, of course! :)
    it really made me want to get in the car and take off! which I didn't, me job, me gaf, me responsibilities! etc... ah, maybe one day...... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

I remember that when I started it I wasn't able to put it down until I finished, and I read it twice...
    It just gave me a mighty kick in the ass to shake myself and do something I actually felt like to rather than stay doing something I didn't enjoy anymore.
    Another book that did that to me (I couldn't put it down) was 'The Ancients' Cavern' by Tuesday Lobsang Rampa. It's the admitance and education of a child (Lobsang Rampa) in a Buddhist Monastery. It really changed my view on things.
    Anybody read it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

On the road rules alright its a great book
    Am reading Hunter S.Thompson now just
    starting The Proud Highway cuz
    Fear and Loathing in las Vegas rules
    ,i love the way he writes its brilliant
    and honest too like Kerouac

That Budisty book sounds interesting must look it up

Advertisement