Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compaq Bootup logo

• 18-02-2002 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Compaq Presario with Win 98 SE on it. When you power on the comp, i have the compaq logo..then it boots into the normal windows 98 logo..is there anyway of removing the first Compaq one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

were is it, your bios?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

yep, bios..

well one way is to get a bios update for that motherboard, it should remove the image. unless of course you get the update off compaq as well.

I used to have a way for creating your own bios image somewere, didnt give it to much attention as it sounded slightly if'y

Grab your BIOS file from your motherboard manufacturer's website and decompress it to a temp directory. This is where AmiBCP comes in. To load up your bios file:

amibcp bios.bin

Go into Edit BIOS Modules and look for a line that reads 31 OEM Logo Data:

biosmod16.gif

Old Logo Line

This is normally the standard green EnergyStar logo. you need to delete this module by hitting [Del].
    Note: Be careful about deleting modules, if you nuke the wrong one, exit AmiBCP without saving. I wouldn't touch the Graphic Logo lines either, removing or changing them can screw up your BIOS.

you need a program to edit the bios file, i remember now why i never used it, what bios do you have, award? ami? what?

different programs for different bios's

Unless someone else can suggest a universal bios editor

• Advertisement

Many thanks Boston, i'll give it a shot :)

well heres how to do it for award

Which is most likely what you use but not 100% sure it would be

Nah, mines jus the big red Compaq text in the middle of the screen..no other logo....thanks tho

they dont write the bios, some other company sub lets the contract, like afaik gateway computers were all made buy a company which is now a sub company of award.

just find a program that will edit your bios file, and you all set.

Do you know how to flash your bios?

No idea how to flash...tho i'll have a look for that prog to edit the bios file :)

• Advertisement

hmm, this is getting less and less software related, i feel it best to move it to somewhere more appropriate, and since id label all this as tweaking a piece of hardware, thats where its going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

huh.

Hardware - something thats not software
    Tweaking - to fiddle, improve, remake
    Bios editing - software messing

Advertisement