Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

minidisc mic for recording gigs

Options
  • 18-02-2002 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

heya

looking for a mic that you could use to record gigs on my personal minidisc recorder as i can't really bring my computer one!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

I checked inot this before and they seem quite pricy:

heres a link http://www.minidisco.com/miniordercool.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

just wire your md recorder into the mixing desk and record.

bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 gertrude

i used a panasonic tieclip mic, got it in some hifi place on dawson street. works like a charm - good quality and easy to conceal. given they have a big speil about it being illegal on the back of tickets and all. works well for comedy but some music gigs are a tad loud for it. depends if you're near the noise or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Scon

More and more artists these days allow taping at gigs..... check it out with the management beforehand.

A good quality but relatively cheap mic is the Shure SM58 which will set you back about €100. It can take a few falls too... but it's normal mic size so don't expect to be able to conceal it. You're gonna have to forfeit quality the lower mic size you get.

If you can, always try and and record straight from the digital soundboard. You'll get stuff that's as good as any live album you'll buy from that (after a little editing) Again you'll have to contact the management/venue beforehand because they're not just gonna let you walk right up and plug your recording gear into it. Minidisc is alright but if you intend on recording a lot of gigs, invest in a DAT recorder. Aswell as having a slight edge in audio recording quality it has better jacks and not the tiny ones minidiscs have that ruin the sound.

If you're planning on recording some mainstream band in a large venue then I think you can forget about anything other than sneaking a mic in :)

Advertisement