Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard disk problem's'!!

• 22-01-2001 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

<advisor in civ2 impression>I agree!</advisor in civ2 impression>

If it was me I'd prolly just but a new disk and be done with it. If you retain the old one you might be able to transfer data to the new one without it crashing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

If you I happy formating it before reinstalling it try this. If it is Gateway/Dell and you have system disks. Boot to dos and run the disk utility (not sure of name, depends on system) There should be an option to write zeros to the harddisk. when this is complete It will report if the Hard disk is faulty. If so and the disk is under warranty get it replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

i was thinking that too, would be a good option alright, if the format reinstall doesn't work like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i know the hd in question and its just about binable but the thing is u have it less then 3 yrs send it back . your getting a new one from me so i wouldent worry about it reely . but do send it back

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Energizer1

i am having some major problems with my hard disk.it is a 10gig seagate.At first my computer would not shutdown properly,i'd get the 'it is now safe to turn of your computer sign' but my hard disk would not turn off,so i had to switch it off manually.This really f***ed up the hard disk.When i turn on the computer i get a load of beeps and no signal going to my monitor,so i have to restart the computer 3 times to even get it to start.Then my hard disk would fail and i would have to restart again, at which point windows would finally start. OHHH and thats not all, as of late my hard disk has begun to crash every five minutes when i am playing a game. My question to you is can it be fixed or should i just scrap the B**TARD?
    Any help would be welcome!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

try a format and then a complete reinstall, and if that don't work scrap it, that's my handy hint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Hmm, why do you think it's your hard disk that is the problem? Nothing you mentioned is specific to a HDD.

Do you hear something definitive like the HDD heads banging right before it crashes, or something similar?
    Have you checked the beep codes you receive during POST in your system manual to actually see what it's trying to tell you?

loomer - A:\Gwscan\Gwscan.exe, unless they changed it lately.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 23-01-2001).]

Thanx for the help lads.i will send back the hd.i'm getting a 30 gig hd off elexes that should help.if the problems persist i will have to look in other areas of my computer!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah, what the hell are you talking about? A hard drive is not going to stop the computer posting, its not going to make it beep. Then you say "Then my hard disk would fail and i would have to restart again" what error message does it give? And when you are playing a game, your hard disk will not cause crashes. Unless you mean that you hear the heads hit off the platters every five minutes. And the fact that it doesnt power down is due to power management being disabled, or windows is just messed up and it needs a reinstall. No point in blaming all the problems on the hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

gerry i know this hd and its like a extreemly noisy vibrator . its working at the moment but not for long .

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by elexes:
    its like a extreemly noisy vibrator</font>

oh really?

eek.gif

• Advertisement

gerry, calm down man. i never said it was only the hd.all i wanted was your views on whether it was.i also said i would look else where in the computer if it wasn't!

Advertisement