Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best cure for a hangover?

• 19-02-2002 9:48am

My name is MoonHawk and I am...I have a hangover.
    *sniff*

Just wondering what the best thing to do on a hangover is?
    I've tried many different things, like spicy food (interesting), ribena (lovely!), milk (bit iffy on that one) and tea (wouldn't recommend it, especially with a queezy stomach).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

Irn Bru. Best left flat. If you remember when you go to bed, leave a can out open. Always does the trick, and tastes like heaven too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

It depends on the level of the hangover. A small to medium can usually be cured by a good fry-up. Lots of suggary tea/coffee to replace those sugars that where lost the previous night. For a medium to brutal hangover, there is staying and bed and suffering because if you get up it will be much worse.

It helps to drink loads of water before going to bed. It takes the dryness off your breath and leaves you feeling slightly better the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

A bottle of the fizziest coke cola.....just open the top and guzzle it straight down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

A bottle of the fizziest coke cola.....just open the top and guzzle it straight down.

Maybe try to get some from Burger King or Mc Donalds. The coke made from concentrate, if the mix is made right, is just heaven for a hangover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Two alka seltzer and a glass of water. Follow this with some stodgy reassuring food - hash browns, for instance. Assuming you've managed to drag your sorry carcass out of bed at all and are on your way to work/college/wherever, these are easily obtainable along the way as you crawl to your destination.

Follow the hash browns (or spicy wedges - stodge is truly the answer) with a bottle of lucozade.

Over the next few hours, give in to whatever strange cravings you may have - a cheeseburger, chocolate, chili, pickled gherkins, whatever - it's normally your body's way of trying to get back the minerals you pissed against the wall last night.

Still - prevention is the best - two pints of water down the hatch before bed, with a third pint on standby for the 4am parched wake-up... (it can be good to have 2 alka seltzer on standby for 4am too - that way you can take em, wash em down with some of your pint of water, then pass out again and let them do their magic while you snore...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Don't go out, then you won't have the problem in the morning !!!!!

Drink a few glasses of water before going to bed, thats the cause of the hangover in the first place, because the body dehidrates, also, if you feel sick in the morning, that's proberly, a small case of Ecoli, it comes from dirty hands, either Barman or yours, drinking out of dirty glasses, ICE is a huge problem with Ecoli (spelt wrong).

Well so if your sick and headache, then you are dehidrated and suffering for a small does of Ecoli .............

Now.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Ranger, you're a happy little camper aren't you.......... (pfff Not drink Pfffffff, Whats the world coming too)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

you have three options to cure that nasty hangover

1) wake up, continue drinking
    2) large, greasy, lard soaked fry-up
    3) toasted sausage and cheese sandwiches :)

either works a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

a pint is the best cure but if you cant stomach that then try bananas or a tomato sandwitch.

MORE BOOZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the best..............*Hic*..........Cure......*Hic*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

a large bloody mary.
    accept no subsitute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

A couple of Berocca's in water is what the Aussies use.

(And then a cheese toatie or a cold beer or BOTH)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Going for a swim can do it, but you do not want a dodgy stomach if you are doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

3 pints the next day is the best cure only problem lies in I've that kind of addictive personality that 3 pints leads to sesssions leading to parties leading to feeling twice as bad next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yeah, theres nothing like the morning "depth charge" to sort you out. A few pints and maybe a brandy and you'll be laughing.

Alternatively you could have a massive fry fro breakfast. (Luckily I had access to this wonderful resource all summer long while on work placement)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

fizzy orange usually does the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Death :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Rafter

Definitely ICE CREAM!:rolleyes:

Swimming does the trick, but the problem is that, the water is too cold here(Ireland), worked in Aussie, when the water temp was high, and 40c sun as well.....

Them were the days............................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Originally posted by Dustaz
    a large bloody mary.
    accept no subsitute.

Man after my own heart!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Water.
    Simple.
    The rest is just comfort food.

Your liver needs a hell of a lot of water to break down alcohol. This water is taken from other organss (ie: brain) and when the brain starts to 'dry out' it produces a chemical which sticks to teh surface and congeales leaving it hard and rubbery-tough => headaches.
    This chemical is broken down gradually with water, but stuff like panadol and Paracetemol-type products will act as catalysts for it, breaking down the stuff and making your brain all nice and squishy again.

On the other hand I find cheese+chopped onion toasted sambos to eba real treat with a nice cup of strong tea followed by a carton or two of juice/fruice/dilute stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If it's a bad one I just sleep it off. If it's a mild one, loads of coffee usually fixes it for me.

Your liver needs a hell of a lot of water to break down alcohol

Yep. Actually, if you're compus mentus enough to do it, one of the best things you can do the night before is drink about a litre or so of water before going to bed - a pint or two of it at least. It'll prevent you dehydrating too badly while you sleep, so you wake up feeling a hell of a lot better. It also dilutes any alcohol in your stomach, which can help with the whole "it's 8am on saturday and I'm puking bile, huuuuugh" sensation :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

The only real cure is to stay in bed until 6:00. Being a student helps a great deal :)

Another possibility is not to go to bed at all. If you get in after 5:00 it's quite possible to drink loads of coffee and surf da net until you have to go to work at 8 or 9 or so. I've never had a "hangover" after pulling an all nighter, just feel bolloxed tired... :)

Finally, if you get in at 2:00, and you just have to get those 5 hours of sleep, fried mushrooms are great, with milky tea.

Another definate one, is do not mix drinks. This is a disaster waiting to happen, and I should know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    Over the next few hours, give in to whatever strange cravings you may have - a cheeseburger, chocolate, chili, pickled gherkins, whatever
    - it's normally your body's way of trying to get back the minerals you pissed against the wall last night.

Na, that's your body's way of saying you got knocked up last night (DISASTER).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

A pint of water & a bag of crisps before goin to bed is your only man, then in the morning I swear by the greasy fry & half an hour later a large sh*t ( you know the one...break the toilet bowl sort)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I never get hangovers, but the worst tired/drunkenness I had was like this.

Working in Petrol station till 11 pm, proceeded down to pub to work as bouncer till 1 am. Had four odd pints while working in pub. Proceeded to neck a few shorts after 1am and then headed to a night club with the manager of the bar. He bought ****e loads of booze double vodka's baileys pints of smithwicks etc, after nightclub circa 3 am went back to the pub for "lockin". stayed drinking till 6.15 am, went home, had a shower and went to work for 7 am back in the petrol station. Luckly I was opening up so I went and sat in the office till about 9 while having juice and breckfast rolls fed to me. At abut nine I went and stood at the till, looking fresh as a daisy....... (bollox)

John

I've never had a "hangover" after pulling an all nighter, just feel bolloxed tired...

I usually don't get hangovers after an allnighter either, but the one I have had was the worst "oh my god I want to die" hangover of my life. Massive feed of pints followed by shorts, and not a proper bite to eat all night; it was also far, far too hot and I probably dehydrated a lot through that as well. Was fine until about 8am, walking up Grafton St, when suddenly hangover and tiredness hit me at once and I almost fell over. Dragging myself the rest of the way home (stopping to retch every now and then) was the most unpleasant experience I've ever had.

I always find a load of water in the morning the most useful non-alcoholic solution. I always drink some water before going to bed too and bring up a pint glass of water to my bedroom with me to aid the pre-getting-up recovery.

I find fruit juice pretty good too. Plenty of water and a load of vitamains and minerals.

And then of course the mega-fry!

Generally I keep away from all those painkillers and hangover remedies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

ketamine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Shinji
    "it's 8am on saturday and I'm puking bile, huuuuugh" sensation :)

Call me a freak, but I love that :) I hate the whole feeling sick thing, but once I'm getting seriously sick, It starts feeling better, and once it's finished...ooohhh the relief, and your stomach feels soooo much better :)

Then you go and eat a huge tuna roll with really sugary coffee or fried eggs on toast with really sugary coffee. Water is the best thing, but I feel horribly sick for about 20 mins after a pint of water when I'm hungover :(

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Ice-cream and lots of it! That always works for me on the rare occassions I get a hangover (by some great fluke I usually feel fine in the morning regardless of what I did the night before).

Oh and the sooner you get up out of bed and start forcing yourself to do work the quicker you'll recover. Lying in bed all day feeling sorry for yourself will never do you any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Drink about a pint of pure orange juice and take 2 Ibuprofen before going to bed.

The orange juice replaces vitamins and minerals lost during the night and Ibuprofen, get this, stops the brain from swelling. Its the best headache cure known to man. You'll wake up next morning fresh as ever but still won't remember a thing.

Some mates of mine swear by "Verve" but I've never tried it.

Funny hangover story:

(A what not to do!)

A couple of years ago during RAG week a friend of mine called up to my house with a 40 oz bottle of Poitín. There were a few of us there and we started working our way through the bottle. We were about 2/3 the way through when another friend called up with a guy he knew. We decided to head down to town to go to the pub so we gave him a key and the end of the poitín.

He finished off the poitín and headed down to town himself. He went into the college bar and had a load of guinness, onto a pub in town for more guinness and some vodka and red bull. Later he went to a night club where he drank more vodka and red bull, a few sambuca and a load of other shots.

When he got home that night he realised that after drinking a concoction like that he'd probably feel like a dead man. So he decided to take an alka-selzer before he went to bed and a couple of paracetemol.

All the lads in his house woke up in the morning to the sound of him roaring and shouting from his bedroom. One of the lads went into his room and he was standing up on the bed shouting I can't move my fúcking hands. They called an ambulance and he was chceked into hospital for the day to recover (and to be laughed at by all his friends).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

usually just REALLY tired after a night out, but when i do get the pain, it's orange lucozade sport and loads of cheerios at work. and a panadol before i leave the house.

i also find blowing chunks (chunks is NOT my dog) in the jacks/street/wherever usually sorts out any problems. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

I normally wake up about 8/9 in the morning feeling like sh*ite, take 2 solpadene which I put beside the bed the night before along with the glass of water and roll over and sleep for another few hours and wake up feeling great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    When he got home that night he realised that after drinking a concoction like that he'd probably feel like a dead man. So he decided to take an alka-selzer before he went to bed and a couple of paracetemol.

NEVER, EVER, mix pain killers with booze. teh side effects can be tooo scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Originally posted by harVee

Na, that's your body's way of saying you got knocked up last night (DISASTER).

...I think I'd remember at least a little of the previous night's procedings if I managed to get knocked up, and my thumping head would be the least of my worries...

But hey, who knows what alka seltzer can cure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 chunk 3:16

all you need
    is on 500 ml
    bottle of irn bru
    tis that simple
    have it sitting at
    the side of your
    bed for when you
    wake up it will either
    destroy you or
    sort you right out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

15-20 hard boiled eggs the next morning with water. It works a treat.
    g'wan, try it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

livewire/red bull/ anything with taurine in it

and

some energy tables available in all pharmacies!!!

works for me....or else a big feck off fry

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

I never get hangovers regardless of what happened the previous night, but my friends usually eat about (literally) 4 litres of Ice-cream, usually chocolate mint or raspberry ripple, and they feel fine afterwards...

Sounds disgusting I know:

But that first morning-after trip to the jacks always seems to get the system up and running again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lister

I've always found that morning sex with my girlfriend or another women, depending on how the night before went, is a great hangover cure. It's fun too, and it leaves you in a good mood for the rest of the day. :)

Mmmm, morning sex ....

So how about this:
    • Leave a pint of water beside your bed.
    • Morning sex.
    • Morning trip to jacks
    • Long hot shower (can be combined with Morning Sex or Extra Morning Sex)
    • Big Fride breakfast with fruit juice.
    • And of course various drugs for those of you who take morning panadol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

ICE-CREAM........MONSTER MUNCH OR CHIPSTICKS......... AND LOTS OF 7UP

works a treat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Banging someone is the worst thing you can do.
    It only makes the headache much, much worse.

BTW, you forgot TEH EN0RGE DINK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lister

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Banging someone is the worst thing you can do.
    It only makes the headache much, much worse.

BTW, you forgot TEH EN0RGE DINK

Try facing away from the headboard, it may help the headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Best cure really is abstinence , but failing that alot of Lucozade works well .I heard about the icecream thing before ,but four litres? ,tbh thats a bit much for any normal person to have at home , unless you live in a Mr.Whippy van or something :)

Advertisement