Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love at first sight...

• 19-02-2002 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭

So. Love at first sight. Does it exist? Is it reliable? Ever happened to you? Is it remotely compatible with 'happily ever after'???

(Sorry folks - having an idealistic morning)

Dear JEBUS!!! I'm sorry I even STARTED THIS THREAD!!!!! Every time I come to boards.ie now I hope that a flame war has broken out and this thread has been locked and relegated to the recycle bin...

boards.ie should come with a health warning... 'do not post while hungover and whimsical...'

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

So. Love at first sight. Does it exist? Is it reliable? Ever happened to you?

yes it happened to me and it lasted 12 years (though looking back) - should it not be called "lust at first sight?"

Is it remotely compatible with 'happily ever after'???

happy ever after??? this does not exist! at this stage, I'm beginning to think that everything has a beginning, a middle and an end....
    right now I'm on my third long term relationship (in the middle of it!) I hope the middle lasts a long time this time as I'm as happy as a pig in sh*te!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yeh, happened to me. Didnt last very long. again, dont know if Happilly ever after actually exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    I'm as happy as a pig in sh*te!!

:D

Hehe who said romance was dead?! :D

I know that feeling.:)

I need to know someone to love them so I don't believe in love at first sight. I know it sounds like a load of bull**** but it really doesnt matter too much what the person looks like, when I fall in love it's not because of looks, (of course when I am in love that person is the most beautiful in the world).

Lust at first sight is fun though and can possibly lead to other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Puck
    I need to know someone to love them so I don't believe in love at first sight. .....Lust at first sight is fun though and can possibly lead to other things.

But at the same time you can have a 'damn good feeling' about someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Victor

oh i have those all the time :D

but love at first sight, no i don't so... love (imo) developes over time. When u see someone for the first time you're only attracted to the outside appearence, it takes time to get to know a person and develope intimate feelings..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭daftbegger

Yes it does exist!!
    I first seen her in 96.
    Finally got her last Saturday.
    When I am with her it will always be fun.
    She will never get fat.
    I can always trust her.
    She will even have threesomes with another girl.
    And she is FAST.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

It seems to exist for me but not for the other person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I'll agree with that Bullman - experience it at least 5 times a day in the canteen!! (I love breaktimes :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Originally posted by Victor

agreed, I don't believe in Love at first sight. But I do believe in that first insitinct when you meet someone that that person is gonna play an important part of your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by flyz
    I do believe in that first insitinct when you meet someone that that person is gonna play an important part of your life.

Well put flyz :)

As to do "I" believe in love at first sight. Well .. anything is possible, nothing is impossible, and never say "never" (speaking from personal experience there too)

So - YES - I do believe in it. Do I base my relationships on it day in day out - No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Casey

I dont know wether or not I believe in it.......my head says no its impossible .......but my heart just doesnt want to let go the notion there might still be a some degree of magic out there (I felt simmilarly about the existance of santa for many years too!)

It MAY have happened to me once........I now prefer to think that I was just experiencing the effects of some hormonal imbalance/temporary insanity at the time ( they do say thats what love is anyway dont they ?:/)........suffice to say it was unrequited and caused no end of heartache!

BUT....interesting love at first sight fact!
    According to a survey done recently in the UK men are more likely than women to believe in love at first sight.......and the one characteristic all these men apparently had in common was immaturity!!! I saw it on Richard n Judy so it MUST be true!!!

No offence intended to any believers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 gramps

I wouldn't say I believe in Love at first sight but I agree with Flyz..Two people I have met and had that feelin about them....both of em are very close friends and always will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

dose exist did happen to me as for lasting long lasted 2 years . now we dont talk or even say hi for some reason last time we spoke i think we both tried to see who can bleed more . she won .

but i still think it exists .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I don't think you can fall in love with someone the moment that you meet them - but I do think it's possible to get an inkling that there is somehting particularly special about them at first sight which could (after the whole infatuation period) turn into love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by neuro-praxis
    I don't think you can fall in love with someone the moment that you meet them - but I do think it's possible to get an inkling that there is somehting particularly special about them at first sight which could (after the whole infatuation period) turn into love.

As flyz said - that you have an instinct that this person is going to play an important part in your life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

LOL! Love at first sight - Would ya look at the morals on that one ;)

More controversial question - does love exist at all? Is there a special bond that grows between two people, or do they just fool themselves into thinking so for fear of loneliness etc?

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I dont think there is love at first sight.

Love at first conversation maybe....

as for love existing... i'm not quite sure, hormone imbalance stuff and all that.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

I don't know about love at first sight. I've never experienced it. In fact I totally disliked my boyfriend when I first met him but am now more in love than I ever imagined was possible.

He's my best friend in the world and if I could spend every day with him I would. God I sound so soppy but I've never felt something so utterly amazing... and it just feels so right. I'm sure that many of you can identify with what I'm feeling and hopefully understand what I'm trying to say.

And fio.. love definitely, definitely exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Nah, it'd just be lust, it might develop into love but at first sight it isn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Love at first sight is just a way of describing when you actually end up in a relationship with someone who you were extremely attracted to at first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭daftbegger

I do believe in it now.
    It strikes in the most unusual places. It is a girl I had a ‘thing’ with last year. I even flaunted her under my g/f’s nose. It was purely a ‘revenge shag’, but since we have met again we realised that we are actually in love, and have been for some time.
    As for happy ever after? Dunno, we will see I am sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

My last one lasted 3 years... well 2 and a half really.. It all started to go downhill when I realised the girl I was with belonged in a loonatic asylum (or at least in observation in a psych ward). Now I'm in a truly 'on again, off again' relationship.

As daftbegger said (on page 1) my 'permenant' love will never get fat, always be fun and never bitch and moan at me... that is of course unless I drop her whilst traveling 80 down the dual carraigeway. (and yes - this one was love at first sight)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Three words:

Love Is Suicide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Originally posted by draffodx
    Three words:

Love Is Suicide

Did you just recently break up with someone by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Love at first sight is like a plane crash : it's one of those things that only happens to other people. (Until it happens to you, of course)

Actually, that does not make any sense whatsoever.

Lust at first sight?

Oh yeah!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Call me unromantic, or a pragmatist, or whatever you like, but I don't believe in love at first sight. In fact, I don't believe that love can really exist in a relationship until a least a few weeks after the people in question have first met each other.

The lyrics of an old (and not particuarly good) song come to mind
    If this ain't love, why does it feel so good?
    This is a mere delusion. Lust is the overriding impulse at work here. Of course I believe that love can be fostered from this emotion, but there is a difference between thinking someone is damn sexy and loving them in a sense that transcends love in the platonic sense of the word.
    Love Is Suicide
    On the contrary, love is living. Without something to love, what has one to live for? A vacuous state of apathy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Happened twice, both had the same name incidently and are very alike...as for lasting...second one is about to go down the tubes but aah well, men are like buses.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Toulouse
    Happened twice, both had the same name incidently and are very alike...as for lasting...second one is about to go down the tubes but aah well, men are like buses.... :)

Not really, good buses come in 2-3 minutes.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Did I say 'good' buses? I'm talking Dublin bus delay times :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Who resurrected this thread? :rolleyes: I agree with them up there near the top, flyz and Lemming and some other guy. :)
    I had plenty of women who got more attractive and desirable the more I knew them (or the more desperate I got :p) but my current gf was more desirable than all of them from the first time I saw her. And no, love can't really exist for a few months at least. Anything else is sexual hormones messing with your head.

:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yep definately does exist.Met her in a club 8 years ago.Ours eyes met across a crowded dance floor(if any one wants to vomit -do so now)And im still happily married for 6 years now.Best thing ever.So IMO it does exist and can work ouy very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Excuse me. I have something in my eye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

think if most ppl were more honest when they were out frist on the night what would it be like

guy : so what you hear for ??
    girl : need to cheat on my bf
    guy : want sex
    girl : well not with you .
    guy : walks into wall

and I expressed my extreeme displeasure of a particular female tendancy tonight after a few pints... the tendancy of course being that they only want what they cant have..... Really 'busts my balls' as tony soprano might say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fi

I met a guy one time, been talking on the pc for months, had no interest in him, even saw his pic, but when he sood outside my door i fell imediatly in love with him as he did me.

BUT.......

it didnt last!!!!!!

that was years ao and i irmly believe i will never be in love again, i think i lost my chance, love doesnt come knocking everyday.

just my humble opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

The majority of the time I think its lust at first sight, but theres the rare and lucky time that its love at first sight.

The developing relationship with someone when you get to know them more and parts of their personality merge into yours and the same the other way around are great. Thats the best part nearly. I'm a bit of a romantic though.

Smiles: Love is most certainly real though. Hormones and chemical imbalances can describe most of the human personality, not just love.

does anyone get that flutter of the heart anymore, my mom still gets it after over 40 years of marraige.

it is too easy for people to give up this day and age

Originally posted by fi
    does anyone get that flutter of the heart anymore

I used to.. but whats the point anymore? Might as well just rip my heart out, microwave it and stuff it with breadcrumbs and garlic butter.. at least then it would make a tasty meal...
    i irmly believe i will never be in love again, i think i lost my chance, love doesnt come knocking everyday.

Here here.... I feel the exact same way

here is another question maybe one should open a new thread with it...........

do you believe you have a "soul Mate"?

funny thing is what if your soul mate doesn know he is suppsoed to be your soul mate!!! or visa versa!!

and anoother one, why do you always fall for the same type of guy when you know he is so wrong for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

Originally posted by fi

do you believe you have a "soul Mate"?

yup.

funny thing is what if your soul mate doesn know he is suppsoed to be your soul mate!!! or visa versa!!

Thats a good one, that will hurt my brain to try and figure out.

and anoother one, why do you always fall for the same type of guy when you know he is so wrong for you?

Love isn't logical, clever or perfect. It just exists. Love is.

• Advertisement

Love is....... blind

Love is....... looking into your eyes and seeing our future

Love is........ waking up and thinking of you

Love is........ such a load of c£%P !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Love doesnt exist, its just a form of gratification and silly dependancy.
    You do make a choice on it.

but isnt it nice to hear the thud thum thus of your heart when someone special comes along??????

anyone who says there is no love then i wonder are they really passionate about someone but holding thier feelings in by denying it.

you men are so "Brave" LOL:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Before asking if love at first sight exist; we should ask 'Does love exist' or may be what is 'love'?
    I tend to believe in trust. And I know that when I see somebody I like its my hormons messing up with me, nothing else. After that, I put my hormorns away in a little box, save them for later, go talk to the person and then see if it's worth it... After that I take my hormons out again...

So lust at first sight yes, love... Well... You surely have a good/bad feeling when you first meet somebody. But love, I don't think so. We are just animals after all, and react to nothing but instincts.

So lust at first sight yes, love... We are just animals after all, and react to nothing but instincts. [/B]

this is a typical male thing!!! i love the way men can just lock up thier feelings.

maybe your right and there is no such thing as love at first sight but i would never look at a bloke in any situation where i didnt know him and say i would lust after him, deffinatly not.

now Mel gibson....... lol i'd give him one!!!!!!

sort of lost my own battle there didnt i lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

On the contrary, love is living. Without something to love, what has one to live for? A vacuous state of apathy?

thats exactly my way of thinking, there is nothing in life worth living for other than love, but love can be so cruel and soul destroying aswell (unrequited love)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭apiou

Yep - that is better - Love at first sight could be lust or something instinctive - BUT A SOUL MATE - that is for life - and no matter what happens or where we roam - to have a soul mate is the best thing that can happen to anyone - it keeps one alive - man or woman..................... :D :rolleyes: :cool: :)

and if you have a soul mate, does this mean that you are thier soul mate or can thay have another one,

how do you know someone is your soul mate?

and what happens when you all in love with you soul mate but they love soemone else, a ghost even........

all these questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

*Long sigh* Me twiddles a daisy

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    *Long sigh* Me twiddles a daisy

ok pettal why the sigh?

now im wondering when your heart skips a beat is this love or lust..... has to be love surely?

• Advertisement
Advertisement