Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leased lines, need help

Options
  • 19-02-2002 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Anybody know about leased lines

Trying to get info about other companys apart from eircom/esat
    who lease lines , and looking for general info about leased lines
    benifits etc.....

I figure some of ye are def. in the know about this sort of thing
    would appreciate any help please , tried lookin around ,all i got was sale pitchs , but generally no good info.....

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

hum.. don't quite know what you are asking but anyway. I'll make a stab.

Apart from esat/Eircom, the others I know of providing leased lines are worldcom and NTL. There are lots other, I'm sure some people here will post up.

The benefits of a leased line.. It depends on your business and what you need ? I'd imagine from the fact that you are asking this question here, that this isn't a large IT company ;)

For the small user uou would need to have some fairly serious demands to meet the need for a leased line. Typicaly a leased line has a few uses.

For the one user, there wouldn't really be a need for an leased line. An ISDN line that dials up periodicaly and retrieves email in batches would be slightly more economic.

a low speed line, 64 or 128k is usually used for checking mail, general web surfing. ( it's what we have in my place for around 14-16 people).

Larger lines, 256 and above would be used for same purpose but for larger offices obviously. Getting into these sizes and above would be then hosting. Having webservers running off the lines.

That's pretty much general waffle.. What exactly are your requirements ?

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Tanks verb , your right small company
    and ive never done this sort of thing before , so my trying
    to iron out all creases before i start

basically its for a webserver /knowledge database /E mail
    But im trying to find other uses for it , so as to sell the idea to
    the heads
    company is around 100 users across the country and intend to
    use line for a controlled central point of access

But wondering what else i could get my new toy to do ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

A useful possiblity is a VPN. Virtual Private Network ( which you may have in place already since you are allowing the various users around the country to access the line ).

Basicly, it encrypts the connection between client users and the lan. This means that a user can connect to the internet, using their local ISP, run a program which will establish a secured link into your network and then access the machines on your local network. So for example, jimbo can connect into the lan securely and print up his report straight to the printer on your desk. Or access his files/internal email.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Yeah VPN would be ideal for your situation and it would save you a load of money in telephone costs (local instead of national).

The cheapest ISP by far, that I've come across, is Via Networks.

You'll also need to buy a router (€2,000+) and there's an installation fee for the line - usually about €3,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks guys
    Just got off the phone to via networks
    they seem all to willing to help and answer
    my silly questions just waiting for a price

As for vpn's , there definatly in the pipeline, once
    we get the line up and running (hopefully)

Thanks anyhow let you know what happens

:):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Let us know what price you get off them,
    Just out of interest loike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

2Mb leased line:
    port charge ~ £8,500 pa, loop ~ £8,500 pa. (last time I asked)

Advertisement