Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leased line in Dublin

• 19-02-2002 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'm currently looking to join 2 offices in Dublin with a leased line.

Am looking at 1mb and 2mb. One office is in Sandymount, the other on Mount Street.

Has anyone any recommendations of who would be best for the job? I've just started making inquiries.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I reckon you may have to get eircom to install the leased line.

after that, im not sure for point to point leased lines as apposed to dedicated leased lines for internet access.

I priced a 64K channel from my home,

Line and ISP from eircom for 1 year: €9000
    Equipment: €2000

that was actually a frame-relay as apposed to a leased line, the leased line was €11000

hope that helps some what.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

We have an 256k Esat leased line in work. Our experience with Esat has not been positive -- I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. We've had 24 hour outages, we were delayed weeks in getting the thing installed and we were lied to repeatedly by our customer "service" representative. This would be bad enough for a home user, but our business is paying Esat an exorbitant amount of money for a crappy service.

We're going to be moving offices over the next month or so, and I think we'll be changing our leased line provider as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I don't know about Sandymount but COLT telecom(head office east wall rd.) Might offer an alternative to Eircom. I am not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Zoot

We have a leased at the moment from Sandymount to the UK where we use their firewall and messaging system. The new line is for our other office to utilise this line also. We can't go with frame relay as we need leased line pt-pt.

Esat - I had forgotten the horror stories. Thanks for the reminder Meh, it's been so long since I've spoken to them.

Have contacted COLT, and they are in the process of covering Sandymount - will let me know the rollout later.

Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

You realistically have two options Eircom or Esat. A 2Mb line from Eircom will probably be just over €10,000 pa. Esat should be cheaper.

I've used leased lines from Esat and Eircom and haven't had any major problems.

You'll also have to buy a NTU for each end and routers etc, so you'll end up spending another few thousand on the initial setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

what do you think a leased line would be in limerick?? do you have any address that show there pricing??

Originally posted by irishguy
    what do you think a leased line would be in limerick?? do you have any address that show there pricing??
    There isn't a set price for a leased line. The price depends on exactly where you are in relation to the destination of the line. So if you're right beside Esat's NOC in Dublin, for example, it'll be less expensive. If you're out in the middle of the bog somewhere, expect to pay through the nose.

it would be in limerick city between 3 to 6 k of the exchange

telephone exchange != noc. Anyway, I've no idea how much the per kilometre price is. Just ring round a few companies and ask them for quotes.

Where's the other end of it going to be?

• Advertisement

cig man have a look at your PM

cig man have a look at your PM

Haven't got any pm's from you? email me - ronan@72ndstreet.com or else just tell everyone where the line is going :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

You could also consider a licensed point-to-point radio link.
    http://www.odtr.ie/radio_links.asp

want kind of output restrictions is there? and what kind of speed would i be expecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

For a radio link?

Output restrictions: My understanding of "Guidelines for Applicants for Point to Point Radio Links in Frequency Bands above 1 GHz" is that there are no restrictions on EIRP output per-se, as long as it is appropriate for the distance, terrain, and bandwidth needed. Use of the most directional antennas possible is requested.

Speed: Various speeds - browsing the equipment reference codes I see Altium 18GHz STM - 1 which is STM-1/OC-3 (155Mbps)

dam only 155mbs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

There are limits on output if your looking to set up an 802.11b radio then you need to check out www.irishwan.org then check out www.irishwan.org/board for more info.
    if your looking to setup 5GHz network then you need a lot more money and a license. (that can do 155mb but your looking at 20 grand or more for that type of setup.

Advertisement