Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

positioning

• 22-01-2001 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

wondering is there a web site that can tell you the location of a mobile phone ??? im just wondering more out of my morbid mind . anyone have any ids ?

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I sincerely doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

only way is to get a friend in eircell with access to the HLR, and good luck too, you'll need it smile.gif

Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy.
    The following tale of alien encounters is true.
    And by true, I mean false.
    It's all lies.
    But they're entertaining lies.
    And in the end, isn't that the real truth?
    The answer is: No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What's a HLR then? smile.gif

- Munch
    dogbert.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

yes, there is such a website, its called a upl, universal phone locator. can't remember the address though, so good luck with the search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Currently not possible in the US. 911 calls the first thing they ask you if it's a mobile call is "Where are you?".

• Advertisement

hlr= home location register
    where all cell info, billing etc is done

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

if anyone finds one coul you tell me the url aswell plese
    thanks wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

this will be a intresting hunt for this page ..... hmmmmmmmmmmm

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Technically.. it is possible to tell the general region or cell that a person is in when they use their mobile phone.

But I haven't come across anything publicly available that will do this. You don't even need to be phoning anyone though. Your phone is like a little tracker.. someone can follow you wherever you go with it !

I don't know the area resolution though. Anyone know the size of a mobile's cell area ?

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Apparently with the right equipment they can get a fairly decent fix on location. Wasn't there a case during the Chechan War where the russians had a missle home in on the mobile signal of one of the rebal commanders and took him out.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Ring the NSA and ask them if you can 'borrow' Project Echelon for a few minutes smile.gif

sig.JPG

if u work for the teleco its easy
    you just check the triangular the best 3 tower signal strenghs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

it worked in that movie Ronin. remember when he was trying to get the location of that evil ex KGB geezer. To cut the long story short... call Robert DeNiro and he'll sort it out for you.

adnans
    smartey comment goes in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Well whats done to find the exact location of a mobile, is u simply triangulate its position.

I.E. gets the direction of its signal to ome point, and then to another, draw 2 straight lines and where they cross vóila.

As for finding a website that does that, like i said, I would doubt it.

HLR isnt the same thing either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

wasnt there a big scandal in switzerland a few years ago where it got leaked that the government was monioring the movement of everyone using a mobile? aparently theey had millions of gigs of info on every single calla dn ahd triangulated the co-ords fairly closly, to within a few yards of where they were.
    of course, this could just be completely misleading information, but it made a nice story....

/me stands corrected
    the details of which cell u are in is stored in the VLR

Advertisement