Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arf, more short power related questions.

• 19-02-2002 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Ok, my saga with my pc goes on. Despite marx telling me the mobo was faulty, and sending back a new one, I still get the same problem as before, which is no post from the machine. Basically, I want to know if it COULD be the psu. The fans whirr, the drives are accessed, but no post follows, no beeps or nowt. The psu is a 300w Codegen (Gerry ?!). It powered a kt7a and 1.4 t bird fine. Can't seem to power my Elitegroup k75sa and Athlon xp 1800. So could it be the psu?! Its the only part not replaced now...the alternative is sending back the mobo to marx again.

Oh and if anyone can sell me a psu that WILL work with my mobo I'd be very interested.Either quality 300w or a 350 I suppose.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its possible its the psu's fault, just not very likely. Perhaps if you live anywhere near dublin you could call in and see if marx computers can get it working for you on the spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...I had to go to a guy's house back home to help him with a (Gateway) PC that just wouldn't boot. I got lights, HDD/DVD/CDRW would spin up, but nothing else.

I thought the mobo was fried, as I got no beeps on removing either the RAM or the CPU, so I gave him an old box of mine, which I knew worked, and I stuck his HDD (with '98SE on it) and his modem in, and switched it on - all of a sudden, the same thing. One weird thing was that there was an audible power surge - the +12V line dropping for a second or so (as you could hear the HDD spindle motor speed would dip momentarily) as it tried to boot - so I suspected there was a dead short somewhere.

Pulled the modem out, and it booted perfectly - so did his machine once I stuck the bits back in (without the modem, natch). Pulled the covers off of it to find a blown diode, as it happens. So, if you have a modem or other non-essential expansion card in it, especially a non-new one, check them by removing them one by one.

Additionally, check that your RAM, CPU and graphics card are seated properly; also in case your mobo needs a working fan stuck in a specific header on the board, check that in the manual, and comply if necessary - some Abits, amongst others, are snotty about that if memory serves.

Finally, check the top of your CPU for scorch marks, just in case :eek:

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'm having the same problem with my fully new pc, get the drives spinning up, and at times I get into the bios, but I dont get any further, I tried a different psu, and nothing. I built the machine myself, and I've being having the problem for 6 months now....... It's pissing me off big time.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it could be that motherboard, I was helping someone the other day, who had a similar board (same chipset), and found it didn't boot with AGP cards, but would with PCI, he then plugged back in his isdn TA, and the agp card, and it worked as normal, try and get a bios update for it if you can, and try different memory configurations.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wolloxs, I have the same ****, i got a 350W PSU and I am waiting for the board and PSU to come back as I presumed they were faulty!

• Advertisement

Presumably you tried the board with just cpu,ram and gfx card in it. Also as astrofool said try a different graphics card. There may be a few jumper settings which are not set correct by default (highly unusual these days though). I remember boards coming with the clear cmos jumper on the wrong pins before though, that was a good laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I'll have a new 350 w psu to try on it this weekend, but I'm not too hopeful to be honest. If it doesn't work then the board is going back to marx again, and I think I'll ask for the value to be placed against a different order. Pity, the reason I went for the board was that it was the cheapest ddr board available.

Anyway, I have tried everything, I only attempt to boot with the minimum hardware on board. I have tried both sd and ddr ram in all the available slots. I have tried a different 3d card, though it was also an agp card. The jumpers all appear to be set correctly... it is absolutely infuriating :o

Been a couple of months now I have been pc-less for various reasons!

have you tried it with the board out of the case? It could be shorting, has happened to me a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

that chipset doesn't support the athlon XP apparantly.

Quote from Tom's Hardware
    We have also omitted the latest chipset from SiS, the 745, since it surprisingly does not support Athlon XP processors.

get a via kt266a board

http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q1/020220/index.html <- link to article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Your last post gave me a shudder astro :o

I ran to the ecs site and checked, and sure enough athlon xp isn't down on its specs as a supported cpu. But then I checked the bios page and I saw that support for athlon xp 2000+ had been included in a release:
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/download.htm

I've been told by ecs support that it ships xp ready. It has a sticker under the socket that reads "XP". I'm confused. I know I saw marx selling xp's and k7s5a's in a bundle before xmas. Plus I have an old duron that I'm fairly sure works fine but gives the same result in this mobo. /me shrugs. I've tried botting out of the case too Gerry, same result.

The saga continues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement