Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medal of Honour €60... No fluppen way

Options
  • 19-02-2002 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

This is mostly to do with the strength of Sterling - and the quite weak state of the Euro.

The official price of MoH in the UK is £34.99... Which is just over 57 Euro.

Amazon.co.uk sells it for £29.99 - almost exactly 49 Euro.

This doesn't stop Game and EB being a shower of barstards, but goes some of the way to explaining the problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There has been less than a 5% (=£1.75) change over the last few months.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I bought my copy in HMV yesterday for €50.78 (£39.99 IEP).

The Euro being weak against sterling is no excuse for a €10 differential.

Differential between stores isn't the point - you obviously buy wherever you can get it cheapest, it's that simple. The issue is high prices across the board, and that's due to the weakness of the Euro against Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

i paid nothing for it! hah!

i got it to review for [plug]irishplayer.com[/plug]

i agree, €60 is insane, bu whats the point of buying a strategy guide for €15 extra so you can finish the €60 game quicker?

it's nearlly worth it for mission 3, the saving private ryan reinaction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I hate the idea of strategy guides. They're not guides for strategy, they're just walk throughs and take away from the whole game. I can't see how someone would want to pay an extra €15 to have the game devalued like that.
    The thing is short enough as it is without a guide to ruin it.
    Imo they're for kids who don't know enough about the subject matter and/or haven't the simple experience yet to figure out a particular part. Waste of money.

Retard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I thought the Operation Overlord mission was very good - a pain in the arse at first because it seems ridiculously hard, but once you work out how not to wander into a hail of bullets or stand on a mine it gets easier :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

:o ITS €50 IN DUN LAOIGHRE SHOPPING CENTRE UPSTAIRS.

CHEAPEST OTHER THAN HMV PAVILLION SWORDS WHERE ITS €50.63c AND DIXONS (FACING THE HMV STORE FUNNILY ENOUGH) WANT €56 FOR THE SAME GAME, AND ANYONE DUMB ENOUGH TO CONSIDER BUYING THE GAME AND ITS STRATEGY GUIDE DESERVES TO BE ROBBED OF THEIR CASH :)

GAME + NO STRAGEY GUIDE = €50 20-30 HOURS GAMEPLAY + SECRETS

GAME STRAGEY GUIDE = PROBS €60, 10-15 HOURS GAMEPLAY + NO SECRETS????

SO UR PAYING MORE FOR LESS GAMEPLAY... MORE OR LESS! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Prices have just gone crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

euro is not worth ****..

I lodged a 200 sterling cheque over the weekend to my AIB account and got 320 euro..

everything imported has 20% added onto the price cos the currency is so weak..

must be costing some business a fortune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Morphéus

You're in Dun Laoighre? Strange I can't hear you WITH ALL YOUR SHOUTING!!!!

Originally posted by Morphéus

CHEAPEST OTHER THAN HMV PAVILLION SWORDS WHERE ITS €50.63c AND DIXONS (FACING THE HMV STORE FUNNILY ENOUGH) WANT €56 FOR THE SAME GAME, AND ANYONE DUMB ENOUGH TO CONSIDER BUYING THE GAME AND ITS STRATEGY GUIDE DESERVES TO BE ROBBED OF THEIR CASH :)

GAME + NO STRAGEY GUIDE = €50 20-30 HOURS GAMEPLAY + SECRETS

GAME STRAGEY GUIDE = PROBS €60, 10-15 HOURS GAMEPLAY + NO SECRETS????

SO UR PAYING MORE FOR LESS GAMEPLAY... MORE OR LESS! :D

Your caps lock button stuck?

Hmmm i think i'll just get my games from amazon or smyths if some one'll give me directions. *hint**hint*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by Jabba

Your caps lock button stuck?

Hmmm i think i'll just get my games from amazon or smyths if some one'll give me directions. *hint**hint*

Your hint button stuck, but anyway Smyths is in the tallaght centre place or across the road.

It was my impression that games were going up becuase of ever increasing game development costs to compete, think how much it cost to make MOH:AA and advertise,
    HMm but they do make soooo much money, but still 10 euro diff. between shops is a joke

It was my impression that games were going up becuase of ever increasing game development costs to compete

No. Prices in the UK have remained pretty steady really, only rising slightly if you allow for inflation. Irish prices fluctuate because Irish stores get their stock from the UK, buying in Sterling.
    HMm but they do make soooo much money

Game developers? Christ no. Shops make the majority of the money. Publishers make a decent whack but not that huge; the shop makes more money off each game sold than the publisher and developer put together, in most cases. For console games the platform holder (Sony/Ninty/MS) also makes a big whack even on third party games.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Originally posted by Shinji
    ...Shops make the majority of the money....

No idea what the margins are like on games but the ludicrous V.A.T. situation here can often mean that the Govt. make the same amount per item as the retailer... with none of the effort :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

as Ive said before, the developer makes the least on the games 'food chain'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Mate of mine[edit]..okay okay, it was Bitchin..since he's BEGGING me to tell you all :rolleyes:[/edit] got it for €45 euro down 'ere in Kerry...plenty left.

Just send your checks to Kyro@gameshop.ie and I'll get some for ye. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭MelKor

dat game woks!!

a bit wolfenstien at the start, espesially the submarine mission but it got really good really quick, im only on the mission with in the demo, and i cant wait to get home and finish it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Got MOHAA for €49.99 in comp. shop upstairs in Dun Laoighaire Shopner! Personally, I have been in Game and EB at TCD in Dublin and have walked out cos the games are too expensive and also in HMV I think they rip people off. Virgin and Smiths are cheaper. I think that if enough of us gamers actually walked out and didnt buy the games there,that are overpriced, then they would lower their prices. Well at least match the other shops!! I wouldnt even buy a music CD in HMV...why?... when you can get it sometimes up to €4 cheaper in another shop!! I know its only €4 but these f*ckers make millions!!! Plus they buy then in bulk and probably get them cheaper. €4 = taxi home from work..it all adds up!!:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

yeah i was suprised how much cheaper smyths toy shop was, concidering its just a you shop. I used to think game was great but not any more.

Mind you 60 euro for a 30 hour game sounds a lot better that the 50 euro for a 10 hour game like max payne, great but short.

Has anyone finished MOH2 in less that 30 hours. Ive nearly finished Serious Sam2 in about 16 hours but at least it was cheaper that other games.

• Advertisement

I got what I think is ~halfway in about 4-5hours, stopping every now and then. Quicksaved a lot on Normandy too though.
    I'm currently past the base after the woods, maybe further, I forget.
    Is the much more (I hope so)?
    Even for multiplayer it's worth my €45, maybe €47 but where do people get off charging €50? it's way above what the prices were before (OPFLASH on day of release in June was £35 in Smyth's)
    £35x1.27=€44.45 which is waht I'd expect to pay for any new game (not special edition or box set or anything).

Protest with your wallet and dont pay for the games at such high prices. Tell them too that they're too dear, but don't mention where you're taking your business to.
    I payed €49.99 yesterday for it. I think I got jipped.
    Can't see how anyone would pay €60 for any PC game.
    €70 is a joke for X-Box games too, seeing as how the hardware can be gotten cheaply from Nvidia and Intel.[EDIT] And hence MS shouldn't need to charge as much to make bak the money from selling the box at a loss[/EDIT]
    Those companies can afford to sell the stuff at a decent price because of the inflation they're share prices will take due to a larger market share.
    €500 is too much for a console too. You'd buy a decent spec PC for that, monitor included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭][Spoof Jesus][

I was in Game in cork and medal of honour was €60 and with the strategy guide it was €82.50...I then saw the strategy guide separate in HMV for €15...

[Once more. Píss me off ONCE more and I'm going to remove your access. Are we clear on this? - S.]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

warezmonkey.jpg

Wahey, first time posting a gathering card.

I recommenced playing ti today. Turned out iwas 3 misisons from the ending.
    Total anticlimax, too short (finished it with no cheats/odes on medium in about 7-8 hours) and deffinately not worth €60, considering it's running on an old engine and hence does not need to make back nearly as mcuh development costs.
    €10-12 would be about the right price for it (taking that as being the cost for 3-4 WW2 videos).
    If you don't intendto play it multiplayer (or if the mod commuinity doesn't get off to a good start) you may want to hold off on the game.
    It's good but €60 is too much fo this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

€60 is indeed too steep for MoH....BUT..it is much better than RTCW.
    Less missions, shorter overall...but much better.
    It's not as frustrating as RTCW.

It's definately got some classic moments ((Omaha beach...Tiger tank driving....nading a room to have a Axis soldier fall outta the closet......))

The "stealth" missions are worth it tho...disguised as a Officer and having to show your papers when asked or risk blowing your cover.
    That was something that was apparently supposed to be implemented in RTCW but obviously didn't get past the drawing board.
    Pity...

It doesn't look like there are many servers running MoH yet but if your looking for the best FPS of the year so far...forget the price and buy MoH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well i was in game yesterday and i`ve just seen another cleaver marketing trick.

'preorder metal Gear2 now as extreem european shortages expected'

Now when it come to hard ware i can understand this but how can you run out of CD`s for a game, and boxes and manuals and the like.

Even if every ps2 owner bught the game i dont see how they can run short and even if they do they will have more a week or two later and we have all waited long enough for the game as it is, a week or two wont kill me.

Actually MGS2 is having severe production shortages - there's only one place that does PAL discs for the PS2 (the DADC plant in Hungary, iirc) and as a result, although Konami is shipping more discs of MGS2 on day one than any other game ever has shipped, they'll still not even be able to meet all their preorders on the day of launch...

Advertisement