Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish 128k dialup modems?

• 20-01-2001 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

I haven't heard about these in years so my information won't be totally accurate. Back in the day, analog modems went throught the same kind of oneupmanship in terms of speed that processors did. They "quickly" went from 1400 to 2800...14000....28000...up to 56k. afaik 76k and 128k modems went into production, but not many people bought them. afaik the most you can get out of a standard phone line setup is 68k, and because of slow internet routing you'll rarely, if ever get performace above 48k.

Basically the performace from 56k modems was the same as 128k modems so people stopped making them.

oh yeah - Irish ISPs only support 56k modems so there's no point in getting a faster one.

[This message has been edited by Blitzkrieger (edited 20-01-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

If you're talking about the 'shotgun' system of connecting 2 modems to 2 seperate phone lines, that can be done to give a theoretical maximum of 112k, but realistically you'll get maximum about 80k, often with severe packetloss.
    The easiest way is to get an ISDN line, which is 2 64k channels, and connect with both to give a solid 128k connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

"oh yeah - Irish ISPs only support 56k modems so there's no point in getting a faster one."

True, but some of the ISP's do support 128k ISDN. Buy + Selland Ocean do, with IOL (Including NoLimits} supporting it later this year.

This will all be on my website, soon to be launched, about the Internet in Ireland.

--Chris--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

While we're on the subject...
    What's the story with V.92? - or is that a myth?

Bah who cares - I WANT MY DSLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

I have heard that there are 128k dial up modems dose any 1 know where to find them and dose any 1 know if there any good?

I'm on a 56k atm and was thinking if i could get 2 128k modems and ran them as a dual modem like 1 takes info 1 and the other sends it out ect.I would have a faster connection than what i have now. Can this also be done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Dual ISDN is 128k, is this what you mean?
    You'd need 2 separate ISDN lines for 256 though, very expensive.

ReaveR.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Unison also supports 128k, also eircom net if I do correctly recall. Not sure whether they support STAC compression as Ocean and B&S do though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

53kbps is the max. you can transmit on an analogue line (excepting the type of compression the faster protocols mentioned use).

If you want it for games ISDN is great, even just the one channel (Eircom Free is one channel only, subscription is 2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Hoojah Nickabolokov

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris_533976:
    True, but some of the ISP's do support 128k ISDN. Buy + Sell and Ocean do, with IOL (Including NoLimits} supporting it later this year.

--Chris--
    </font>

just jumped on the 128 bandwagon meself - waitin for the bastidz to upgrade (8-(

Tellus sumthin? Do B & S or Ocean sting you with a charge for providing 128? Or do you just get charged double for the twin dial-out?

cheers guvnas

h nickabolokov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

V.92 isn't a myth. It's out right now. Supposed to be well nice for modem play online aswell...

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Logic, i heard something about that a while back...

But don't the ISP's have to update their firmware to v.92 before you can use it?

As far as I know, my modem can be upped to v92 (i think i read this on some website, i may be wrong so smile.gif) ... it's a Lucent 1646 chipset.

- Munch
    dogbert.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement