Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom.protest.letter

• 12-01-2001 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Ok here it is a rough draft
    If there is anything that will get me sued heheheh or any errors,persons to send,missed points post here.

To whom it may concern

We the undersigned are writing to formally complain about the state of the telecommunications industry in Ireland.
    We feel that eircoms behaver is to the detriment of Irish e-business and home users alike.
    We respectfully request that the government innact legislation to free the monopoly that eircom has managed to sustain through its ridicules pricing polices on landline rental.
    If eircom cannot provide for Irelands broadband and telecommunications needs then action should be taken to stop them hindering other companies that would be able to offer these services.
    We the people of Ireland demand the basic right of any democracy the right to choose

Yours sincerely

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you forgot to sign the bottom...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

Whitewash

I think you miss the point your suposed to print it out when its ready and YOU sign it lol

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

And you believe that this letter will be taken *seriously* on account of the various typos and non-capitalisation? smile.gif

Why don't you get someone who has at least Junior Cert Honours level English to draft it. smile.gif

Rob.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"There are Britney people and non-Britney people." - Britney Spears
    </font>

Robo

Get a life you sad git
    If you could read! the post starts with

Ok here it is a rough draft
    If there is anything that will get me sued heheheh or any errors,persons to send,missed points post here.

Or should we all do what you probably do sit on you fat backside and slag other people without doing sod all.Or is it more likely you work from eircon sit on your fat ares and do sod all ?.

Have a nice day rolleyes.gif

Stone

ps Yes i do expect it to be taken seirously if enough people suport it

[This message has been edited by THE SPERMINATOR (edited 13-01-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I think you'd get more impact by simply calling into a clinic of your local TD and dropping off a handwritten letter with the staff, or seeing the TD for a 15 minute chat.

Fine Gael and Labour want election issues. You could make detrimental market behaviour by the leading teleco policies a real issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Can I make a copy of that and shove it on my website????

--Chris--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

we've been *****ing about this for years and the goverment know it's a problem. Of course the currect minister is a total ****wit who couldn't tell her ass from her elbow. I can't see it becoming an election issue tho - not when so many people seem to take pride in being computer-illiterate.

I'm half expecting them to declare the earth flat and gather some kindling for burning witches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">We respectfully request that the government innact legislation to free the monopoly that eircom has managed to sustain through its ridicules pricing polices on landline rental.</font>

Good intentions but your letter really is unprofessional. Are you unaware that the government have already introduced legislation to deal with the monolopy. What do you think Etain Doyle is doing ?
    There is no longer a monolopy in Ireland. Esat, Oceanfree ?

You have made no specific points of complaint as regard to Eircom behaviour.

Admittedly the state of play with regards to the 'internet connectivity' in Ireland is poor, but it is changing. NTL are working hard to introduce cable. They can only work as fast as the cable get's put down, and the supporting infrastructure is there.
    There are now 3 companies with licenses for wireless broadband ( or 4, not positive ) who are starting to develop the hardware and software.

And... You may or may not know it, but Eircom have been told to restrict the introduction of xDSL until the local loop in unbundled. This will thus prevent them from getting a head start on their competition, esat, etc, in the area of broadband access. It is coming, but you are just going to have to wait 2 or 3 years for it to get to your home.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I heard that Eircom will continue to drag their heels on xDSL service until they're given a green light to offer their own content down DSL into Irish homes.

Some Eircom staff have ADSL in their homes already. I can understand how Eircom would like to leverage their dominant position alongside subscriptions for content services. Chorus and NTL have multimillion pound lawsuits ready to file if Eirom are permitted to push rich media content into homes across broadband. Eircom want to provide the infrastructure and the content. There will be delays on xDSL infrastructure while the battle is fought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

well least we dont have to worry about ntl making a law suit......th ey cant sue eircom if they them selfs dont do DTV........****ing a$$ lickers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Advertisement

VERB

Of course its unprofessional im no solicitor im just a bloke who's ****ed off with the state of telecommunications in Ireland which is way behind the rest of Europe/world [third world not withstanding]as for no monopoly!! tell me this if you still own all the lines because no one will buy them at the price eircom is asking it has the same affect as having a monopoly though legally you could argue that they are there to buy if you wished to make massive losses and what company would do that.As for ms Doyle what the hell has she actually done ?Please post a list coz as far as I know she hasn't moved either way on eircoms pricing of land lines.

Stone
    PS id be happy for anyone to post a suitable letter to be sent to ms Doyle or whoever it should be going to.

Life or death thread - to top of board. smile.gif

A letter, (based on yours Stone} will be put on my website - when its finished. (Soon)

--Chris--

Right - here is the altered copy, for the website.

Dear Ms. Doyle,

We, the undersigned, are writing to formally complain about the state of the telecommunications industry in Ireland. We feel that Eircom’s behaviour is to the detriment of Irish e-business and home users alike.

In a recent interview, Taoiseach Bertie Ahern stated that Ireland should become “An e-commerce hub”. This goal is completely unattainable with the current schemes soon to be offered by Eircom. High-speed unmetered Internet access, via ADSL for example, is a pivotal part of realising this vital goal. Failure to implement such services along with the rest of the world will hinder foreign investment in the country and in turn, would have an effect on employment, emigration and the Irish “Celtic Tiger” economy.

We respectfully request that the government enact legislation to free the monopoly that Eircom has managed to sustain through its ridiculous pricing polices. We believe that successful unbundling of the local loop will greatly help Ireland become a more prominent part of world hi-tech affairs. The offers proposed by Eircom in the Access Reference Offer document are among the highest in the world, which is quite a statistic for one of the largest software exporting companies in the world.

If Eircom cannot provide for Ireland’s broadband and telecommunications needs then action should be taken to stop them hindering other companies that would be able to offer these services.

We, the people of Ireland, demand the basic right of any democracy - the right to choose.

Yours sincerely,

--Chris--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Right, overall letter looks good. Just a few nitpicks :

"which is quite a statistic for one of the largest software exporting companies in the world."

Change companies for countries smile.gif

Id also make the point that the local loop is being unbundled at the moment, or at least plans for it are. You should tell them to hurry up, rather than telling them to do things that they are already doing...

Otherwise, a very nice and concise letter smile.gif

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Moriarty:
    Id also make the point that the local loop is being unbundled at the moment, or at least plans for it are. You should tell them to hurry up, rather than telling them to do things that they are already doing...</font>

Yeah - she'll think she's already done everything you've asked and is doing everything that needs to be done. She won't realise she's a total ****wit unless you tell her.

Thanks for the input folks..... Will change those things now....

--Chris--

Chris

Have you happened accross an address to send the soon to be finished letter ? If so could you post it here too ta.i for 1 will be sending this letter off hope quite a few other do too.Just to let you know ive told eircom to get this overpriced isdn line out of my house.No-limits here i come and before you tell me about how bad N/L is i dont care i just cant stand the thought of eircom sqeezing me anymore THIS UDDER HAS RUN DRY hehehehe.

Stone biggrin.gif

Ps chris the additions are good
    PPs there is no prob with using the letter its public domain as far as im concerned

[This message has been edited by THE SPERMINATOR (edited 23-01-2001).]

I have the ODTR postal address..... smile.gif

And I know a trick. I'll be asking people to put Personal on the envelope, so Ms Doyle will get them all personally!!! Muhahahaha...

I'll get the website done soon - promise. Life stopped for a week - great time to get the flu....

--Chris--

Hehehehe

She`ll wonder what the fup is going on

Stone

Advertisement