Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WinME

• 17-01-2001 10:38pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok I've got windows ME,
    used for gaming ... but my hd is be comming fragimented as I can feel it
    when I try to use the windows default one, I have errors on it, due to win crashing so many times ...
    I run scandisk in windows, but it can't scan because something keeps writing to the drive I've closed down everything ecept explorer and systray and I still get the problem
    as there is no option in winME to reboot into dos and scandisk from there
    would anyone know how I would be able to get into dos without loading windows first in winme so I can run scadisk for dos ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Humm... see if you've got a boot disk from an older win98 install.
    Otherwise AFAIK, you can use a winME boot disk and strip the non-essentials off it, should do the same job (according to PCW anyway wink.gif).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

Most computers u press F8, then u get a list of options, one of them is command promt ie dos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Hum, to the best of my knowledge WinME doesn't like you going into real-mode dos, so I fink that option is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Boot up with a bootdisk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Yea, goddamn ME and it's "No DOS" ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I had a similar problem with ME and after trying everything I could think of I just said to hell with it and formatted it. Now dual-booting W2K and SuSE.

Best thing I've ever done. W2K is nice and stable and plays all my games and I can get my work done on Linux.

My advice would be to either go back to 98/5 or get yourself a copy of 2000.
    ME is seriously the biggest piece of cack ever made. Dangerously unstable, a total RAM hog and if I'm not mistaken the *exact* same as 98 except for the start up screen.

Anyone who's thinking about upgrading(sic smile.gif) my advice would be to forget it. Stick with what you have or go for 2000.

Of course that's just MHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

As far as I remember with ME there is an issue with either scan disk or defrag which was fixed in a update. If you want to do a clean but read here
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q267/2/88.asp

worth a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

thanks logic and Kayos wink.gif
    the f8 doens't work frown.gif
    but I will hvae a look at your two links guys
    btw I remember it doing an autoupdate and fixing I pritty sure it was disk defrag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

from that boot menu choose booting in "safe mode" - to get it press ctrl while starting up. safe mode loads and you can run scandisk from there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Win 2k all the way for me.

I installed a duel boot with 98 because I thought it would be better for games but NAY!

I havent used 98 for more then 10 minutes since I installed 2000. It runs all the games I want and goes weeks without a crash.

You can keep your toy OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

install win2k mate.
    its just a whole lot easier....

Advertisement