Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't use BT as a reference for Broadband pricing.....

Options
  • 20-02-2002 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Came across the following today:
    BT is Europe's biggest broadband rip-off

£30 per month in the UK compares to £12 in Belgium, £14 in Spain, £18 in France... the list goes on...

BT's retail and wholesale ADSL prices soar way above those in the rest of Europe, according to independent analysis from Point Topic.

[Silicon Says]
    Is the UK becoming a broadband backwater?
    The research firm found BT's monthly charge of E49 (£30) was more than twice the wholesale price offered by Belgacom in Belgium (£12 per month) and Spain's Telefonica (£14 per month).

France Telecom and Telecom Italia offered mid-range prices of E30 (£18) and E36 (£22), respectively.

Of the European telcos surveyed, only one - France Telecom - offered a cheaper home connection than wholesale. In the UK, Belgium and Italy, the incumbent telco's retail prices are higher than the wholesale price, but only by between 12 per cent and 17 per cent.

According to Point Topic, that margin is too narrow for competitors to be able to make a profit at the price level set by the incumbent, a situation which European competition authorities should address.

The survey did not include installation costs or hardware.

It's very interesting to compare Eircoms proposed wholesale price with that offered in Belgium and Spain.

Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

I don't know who gave you the figure for the spanish price but that's too F4cken cheap.

The actual price for 256/128 ADSL is €39.07, while cable stands just a bit cheaper with €36 or €30. Believe me i know it by experience.

JamworkS

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

I'd guess you're referring to retail prices. The original post was referring to wholesale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

ok, big sleep up i had there. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"BT is Europe's biggest broadband rip-off"

Ahem...have Eircom been voted out of Europe :p ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea, your right...

Who wants a 'Always on' connection with Download speed up to 500Kbps for the rip off price of £40 a month..

:rolleyes:

get a reality check

• Advertisement
Advertisement