Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exams and Certs and why take 'em?

• 20-02-2002 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

at the moment im sitting in head office for a while so ive taken to doing some study. fairly hefty stuff it is too.
    i also noticed someone saying they had done a comptia exam.

so, wht make you of all these exams and certs and are they worth it at the end ofthe day. personally, ive been starting an mcse in 2k for the past year! however, im currently going over comptia's a+, network+ and server+ exams and i think i will go for them soon.

and what is the story with this new microsoft certified server administrator? it appears that the comptia exams count in that as well.

and amp, dont bother putting your paper mcse down ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I've never had too high an opinion of cert's etc. The microsoft ones especially. ( Though i am probably being a bit unfair there )

The only cert's that I see as being serious, are Cisco and Oracle.
    Seemingly there's only around 20 CCIE's in Ireland ?

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Verb - most sys admin type jobs in medium/large companies require professional exams these days tho..

The Oracle exams are very expensive, were talking sell your house to pay for them expensive :)

(thank god I dont do that admin rubbish more!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

White Wash mAn

IN the middle of doing the comptia and win 2k exams at the moment
    the story with the comptia is you need too take 2 comptia exams
    network + and server+ or a+ and server + to qualify for one
    microsoft elective and before you do this you need to have at least an mcp as they look for your m/s number

As for Certs and Exams , today you either have alot of experiance or certs with small experiance or both but no one will hire you at the moment without an mcse or 5 years min exp or both,
    so whats a fellow to do to get work you need exp to get exp you need work, vicous circle routine

personally im going for the win2k mcsa path using the network + and server + as an elective and then trying for some cisco as well
    to give me a solid base , but thats just me

Advertisement