Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting in Ireland

Options
  • 20-02-2002 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just curious, but how many Irish Hosting companies (doing shared hosting, etc) actually host in Ireland, or, for that matter, own their own boxes?

AFAICS there are only 1 or two?

Anyone?

Stephen

ps: disclosure, we are one of the 1 or 2 - hosting365.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Most of the ISP's I would immagine...
    Eircom/Indigo
    Esat
    ViaNetworks ? (Do they still exist ?)
    IOL
    MCI
    TeleCity
    Worldport did untill they went
    Global1 used to.

Um... I'm sure there are a _good_ few others...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I run two dedicated boxes, one in the US and one in the UK. I wouldn't set up in Ireland in a fit, it's like pouring money down the drain. The speed difference is negligible anyway...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hi Moist,

Obviously an ISP has to be - obviously I meant 'hosting' companies, as in companies that offer hosting only - not the ISPs.

Is it a big factor ? For colo/dedicated servers are people happy to have the boxes hundreds if not thousands of miles away?

Stephen

For colo/dedicated servers are people happy to have the boxes hundreds if not thousands of miles away?

Why not? My server in the US is sitting on OC-48's from four different providers. Responses from the server there often better than the machine in the UK, which is sitting on pretty good pipes itself. You can't even get that kind of connectivity over here.

adam

Hi Adam,

The facility we use, here in Dublin, has 3.6Gb from four tier-1 providers.

Why not move your two boxes back home - you'll get physical access, and response times just as good if not better :)

Stephen
    :)

• Advertisement

They're dedicated machines Steve, they ain't mine. Wanna buy me two machines?

adam

:)

Nah, but I'll lease you two for €199 each per month, no set-up charge :)

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The facility we use, here in Dublin, has 3.6Gb from four tier-1 providers
    as an ex staff member of an ex hosting company I betcha that above statement is bollix and would not stand up to any kind of technical examination. We had all kinds of stuff like that over our PR - and most of it was blatant lies, but that technical that no one questioned or looked into it.

But I agree, unless you have mission critical stuff you may need phisical access too hosting in the US or even UK is usually the best overall value

Hi Vaggabond,

Well, if you want to sign an NDA, we can provide it to you, and we have checked it ourselves.

€99 per month colocation with 50Gb transfer in Dublin - and yet hosting 3,000 miles away is a better option?

Stephen :)

its not that important, dont worry about it..

Im just saying that hosting companies PR may not be 100% accurate thats all :)
    50Gb transfer in Dublin - and yet hosting 3,000 miles away
    I think I can presume that you know its not that black and white in the wonderful world of the internet :)

• Advertisement

Well, we try to keep it that way :)

Simple service, good prices, no b******t ! :)

Stephen :)

ahh, so your a sales pe0n for this wonderful company doing research on who your up against :rolleyes:

Hi Vaggabond,.

As is clear from my discolsure on my thread-starter, I work for hosting365.ie.

I was genuinely interested, as we get asked daily where our servers are, and told stories about other, less scrupulous hosts, who tell customers they own theur servers / they are based in Ireland, when they lease/colo in the UK or states.

Just was wondering if there actually were any other local hosters that I was not aware of :)

Stephen

oops..

I dont read so good :)

Nah, but I'll lease you two for €199 each per month, no set-up charge

Feel free to tell me the specs, but I'm willing to bet you're not even close...

adam

HI Adam,

€199 per month will get you a PIII 1Ghz, 512Mb Ram, 40GB HD with 50Gb per month.

Specially for you :)

Stephen

Does that get close?

sorry to barge in, but is the "50Gb per month" a traffic limit or a bandwith promise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

steve-hosting36:

Was just wondering what kind of deals you do if say i would pay for a 12 month contract upfront. Could you give me some sort of discount? say for the equivalent of €125 a month over 12 months.
    ie €1500?

On antoher note, i believe you do hosting for educational purposes, could you provide a similar spec for an Institute of Technologies Netsoc/Websoc for a reduced price?
    At the moment it is hard to get Colleges to allow outside access to netsoc/websoc boxen. To host the Society boxen somewhere else, like your dedicated boxen, would be ideal and would keep the college's and the users of said boxen happy.

Drop me a mail if you wish.

paul.kelly [ @ ] dahomelands.net

Regards,
    Paul

Hi Vaggabond,

The 50GB is a monthly transfer limit, with overage charged at 0.4c per MB.

For annual payment, we give you 2 months free, soa years colo for a 1u box with 50GB per month will cost you € 999.95 - saving 200 euro.

Mail me direct for more info/quote,

Stephen

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

As per our previous discussion here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40677
    and now advertised on our website: http://www.spin.ie/hosting.asp

We're doing unlimited bandwidth over 2mb lines (boards.ie is running on one actually).

All boxes are hosted in Ireland with Inex connections.

Tom.

€199 per month will get you a PIII 1Ghz, 512Mb Ram, 40GB HD with 50Gb per month.

Well, I concede that your pricing isn't bad, but the product is overspecced (and so overpriced) for me. This box would be a replacement for my RaQ in London. You can guess where it is.

adam

Hi Adam,

I can do you a nice price for a Raq4 with 128Mb, 20Gb HD, ready to roll, with 50Gb per month, instead of the 5gb you are getting - mail me pm/direct for more,

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

The shared hosting prices don't seem to compare very favourably to the likes of http://www.tera-byte.com considering the MySQL option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    as an ex staff member of an ex hosting company I betcha that above statement is bollix and would not stand up to any kind of technical examination. We had all kinds of stuff like that over our PR - and most of it was blatant lies, but that technical that no one questioned or looked into it.

I have agree, there's no way any hosting company in this country would be using 3.6Gb. I'd say what they actually have is a lot of dark fiber with an option to increase their bandwidth if they need it.

I thought that 'less you were spliced directly into a backbone, the biggest pipe you could get in Ireland was STM1? You'd need about 20 I reckon...

Sorry Stephen, but I've been thinking along the same lines myself. I was just waiting for someone else to point it out. :)

adam

Hi Guys,

On the shared hosting prices end, I think we are very competetive, in the Irish market. You can get cheaper in the states and UK, but wont get things like Irish Freephone support, etc :)

On the capacity side, connnectivity is to 4 Tier - 1 providers - meaning directly to the backbone. I have seen the specs myself, and anyone who wants the tour / details are invited to visit and sign the nda :)

Stephen

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I thought that 'less you were spliced directly into a backbone, the biggest pipe you could get in Ireland was STM1? You'd need about 20 I reckon...

Esat do DWDM gigabit connections and they also do STM-4.

Also Steve, I'm sure you do have more than enough capacity for your business, but I don't believe that you have 3.6Gb. Are there Tier-1 ISPs in the same building and you just happen to be there? Cause you could easily have four gig-E connections running into the room next door, but just not use any of it.

One more thing, why do you keep insisting that you sign a nda to get a tour of the building? If I had 3.6Gb of bandwidth and 4 Tier-1 providers I'd be shouting it from the rooftops... (I'm sure I could guess who they are anyway :))

Hi CSM,

We lease facilities from Inflow, which has four Tier-1s in the building. While I'm sure most of it is not used, it's nice to know it is there :)

Anyone can have a tour, it's just inflow insist on an nda before diclosing their network infrastructure :)

At the end of the day, ya get what you pay for :)

Stephen

• Advertisement

I had a look at the Inflow website, looks impressive alright. There's no mention of 3.6Gb anywhere though, so I hope your not braking the nda.. :)

Advertisement