Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking woo's

• 20-02-2002 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

I really can't under stand these networking questions, i've gotten the lecturer to go through them 3 times with me already n still they make very little sense to me!

E.g. of the question's i'm talkin about:
    Given the IP address 202.8.8.0
    Work out the subnet mask (so that's a class C, so the default is 255.255.255.0, then what?)

How many bits are required to impliment subnetting scheme. (24bits?)

Range of legal subnets on network (how do ya figure that out?)

broadcast address for each subnet (huh?)

calculate how many addresses are lost. (two per subnet?)

And with this question he's askin for 14 subnets.
    So can someone help, explain what you're doin and why, tanx i'd greatly appriciate it! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If I was at home I'd have the answers right here.....do a google search for info on subnetting. Basically, subnetting is splitting up you block of IP addresses to create separate networks. 255.255.255.0 would be the mask if you had no subnets. But for subnetting you need a different mask.

Basically, the idea with subnetting is all to do with how the protocols implement them. When you create subnets, you must throw away the first and last entire subnets, ie if you have 8, you throw away subnets 1 and 8. On top of that, you must throw away the first and last IP addresses of each subnet, as you would for a normal network block. You do 14 subnets because that's the optimal no - ie has the least wastage of IP addresses from throwing away. I have 'Teach Yourself TCP/IP in 24 hours' at home and I read up on this recently, but the specifics have escaped me. :(

I think it may be 4 bits for your mask, ie 255.255.255.15, but I doubt it, and don't hand that figure up!!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Ok i have what i think is the answer.... is it right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

well due to he lack of help i found here i did a googley woogley and found this site which not only does the calculation for you but gives a nice explaination of whats going on. :)

Advertisement