Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Status bar stealth possible?

Options
  • 20-02-2002 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭

Hi ,

I'm in the process of writing a little website (with notepad for my sins because i'm too macho to use wsiwyg editors-->>truth.. my brain hurts with frontpage ..:).

Anyhow, its a www.blah.utvinternet.com addy, i've got a domain with Gandi and am using Mydomain.com for free stealthed url forwarding (el cheapo setup) and a script to not display urls on mouseover on the site.
    Problem is during the daytime especially , the site loads up really slowly and the true paths are visable in the status bar for long periods of time.

So two questions really..

1) Is there a script that will either just display the domain name in the status bar while ppl are visiting the site or just blank it altogether and

2)Any recommendations for cheap and cheerful bannerless hosts, only need a couple of megs for space , visitors will only be a few hundred a day i expect.

Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Well for setting the text of the status bar you could do something like this:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Test</title>
    <script language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    function setStatus()
    {
       window.status = "Hello World";
    }
    //-->
    </script>

</head>

<body onLoad="setStatus()">
    yadda yadda yadda

</body>

</html>

Not sure if the URLs will show up when images are downloading etc.

As for hosting, dunno. I found out years ago it's best to pay. You'd get a pretty good service for 10-15 quid a month which isn't much really. Also you'll get plenty of space so you can host multiple sites there. It's worth thinking about if you're serious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You should use default.status to set the, uh, default status. Then add onmouseover actions with window.status. Note that you /always/ have to return true after a status comment, otherwise the status comment won't clear.

<body onLoad="default.status=''; return true">

<a href="#" onmouseover="window.status=''">Link</a>

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭MÓC

<script>

function hidestatus(){
    window.status=''
    return true
    }

if (document.layers)
    document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEOVER | Event.MOUSEOUT)

document.onmouseover=hidestatus
    document.onmouseout=hidestatus
    </script>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you only need a couple of megs space drop me an emai with your exact requirements and I'm sure we can work something out:
    info@blacknight-solutions.com

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

You got your script for the status bar. Any more javascript you need you should check out http://www.a1javascript.com.

Regards hosting... we do windows and linux hosting starting at just €99 per year. If that's in your budget... you get alot for that.

Linux Hosting

Windows Hosting

Kind regards,

Dave

• Advertisement
Advertisement