Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn Win2k COM ports.. can anyone help?!? :O(

• 24-01-2001 4:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭

Laeds..
    Ive been attempting to get me modem working properly again in win2k.. Ive installed about a million drivers for it (so many different ones) and the only com port it installs on now is COM 6.. It used to (in my old win2k setup) be on COM 3.. but COM 3, 4 & 5 are now always in use.. and there seems to be no way to find them let alone uninstall them in Device Manager or modem properties or ANYWHERE.. Im ****in' **** ended here.. any ideas laeds?

Ohh.. the reason i want to try and get it on COM 3.. as the orginal config was is because there seems to be something majorly arsed.. Itll connect to the net once! but if i attempt to reconnect itll dial through and ALWAYS get stuck on "Verifying username and password". The only way to get it to work again is by rebooting the machine.. bit of a pain in the **** if youre connection Effs up and you have to restart EVERYTIME! to get on the net.

Ohh and one last thing.. originally it was a Conexant SoftK56 Data, Fax, Speakerphone modem on COM 3.. but with ALL the drivers ive been able to find it seems to have become a Data, Fax, Voice, Speakerphone modem. Could this be a problem.

FINALLY.. I know its a winmodem (SH|TE) but i dont have the cash to get a new one at the moment.. cheers in advance for any help you can offer laeds! smile.gif

"LOSE me.. Hate me.. SMASH me..
    ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Right we have a win 2k machine in work with a modem and we have to do a seach for it and then cancel when its completed to find the modem on the proper port but that doesn't seem to be your problem. To the best of my knowledge win2k doesn't support win modems??? I could be wrong and if I am I'm installing win2k at home (I had been holding out due to a crap win modem)

KaYoS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Are you using anything on the com ports as it stands? If not then set both com 1 & 2 to off in the bios. This should free up com 1 & 2. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

try uninstalling your modem, then uninstall your ports, reboot and hey presto, everything should work

i did say SHOULD didnt i?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

All tried wwman m8..
    see problem is.. after i do that.. (as ive done numerous times) and reinstall modem it kept installing on a higher com port..
    so now im up to com port 6.. none of the others are visible ANYWHERe.. ive tried uninstalling 1 & 2 and still nothing.. in the modem properties where FIFO buffers and stuff are.. it lets you select a com port.. thats the only place COM 3 - 5 are visible, problem is.. it says theyre in use.. `severe PAIN in **** ..

ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

A wee update fer ya's.. ive got my modem installed on COM 3 now (Finally).. but its still Effin' up a lot..

Basically, It will connect to the net ONCE.. then when i disconnect if i want to connect again, i have to restart the machine as it will ALWAYS get stuck on "Verifying Username and password" no matter what isp is used..

Any ideas on that one lads?

ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Allright Chief
    Heres your solution (I hope)

First off, Go into Win2K (im assuming ur running Win2k Professional) But go into Win2k VGA mode (equivlent to SAFE), Remove all your Ports com & lpt. Remove all your Modems and anything to do with it.

Load up regedit (Start -> Run -> Regedit)
    (CTRL+F) Search for COM1
    and keep looking, remove every occurence of it
    Do the same for COM2 , 3 , 4 , 5 and 6.

Is it a Lucent Winmodem ? (LT) ? Get a newer drivers from www.lucent.com or from www.driverguide.com .

Are you sure your connection settings are right ?

Reboot and hopefully everything shud work

If your not on a local network
    make sure you only have the Dial Up Adapter and the TCP/IP installed

Oh, and make SURE you dont have internet connection sharing in there, unless ur on a lan, cos it will fu¢k sh!t up rightly.

RentZ

Hope it helps (be careful with the registery)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

by the way, if it says your ports are in use, what are they in use by?
    have you any communication software ro anything?
    have you got an SB live installed?
    SB live emulator software tends to bugger up your com ports. i had to disable it in win98, no prob since i installed win2k thou... but you never know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I've been having a problem with win 2k for nearly a year now. Basically I can do very little involving networking. Occasionally I may get a net connection going, but it will be very unstable, any attampts to browse game servers fail, and it all came down to all my ports being in use for some reason or other. I have nerv been able to solve this error:/

Redesigned

Well Renton that sorted the installation of the modem on COM3.. all is good there now.. but the Effin' reconnection error is still there! BALLIX! It will connect once! and never get through again.. un less i restart the machine frown.gif It sticks on "Verifying Username & Password" for an age and the throws up this error:

Error Connecting to Esat

Error 619: The specified port is not connected.

&

Restart your computr to make sure that all recent
    configuration changes have taken effect.

Only way to fix it is to reboot the machine.. (and it all starts over again!) Any ideas laeds? frown.gif

ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

[This message has been edited by Chief (edited 26-01-2001).]

Advertisement