Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Internet Broken ?

• 25-01-2001 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

So yesterday MS' domain name servers were down. Today I can't access Ireland.com or rte.ie, to name but two and various other weird DNS related ****. Rogue routing tables ? Computer revolt ? Is it the of the world ?
    Anyone know whats going on ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Microsoft have explained themselves ( wink.gif), I can get through (nice and fast too) to the 2 sites you mentioned, and I'm having no real problems meself accessing any others ... so far.

Maybe it's just you...(?)

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted. -Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Major problem with UUNets backbone in the US. Anyone using them or routing thru them will expeirence timeouts and failed connects. Supposed to be fixed this afternoon sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

ROFL: this is what the link gave me.

The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.microsoft.com/info/siteaccess.htm

The following error was encountered:

Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.microsoft.com
    The dnsserver returned:

No DNS records
    This means that:

The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
    Check if the address is correct.

Your cache administrator is root.

Generated Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:09:59 GMT by lisa.bayridge.ie (Squid/2.3.STABLE4)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

*shrug*

still comingn up fine for me, connecting via a leased line to Esat.Net

Bard

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted. -Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

you broke the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    originally posted by bard:

Microsoft have explained themselves ( wink.gif ), I can get through (nice and fast too) to the 2 sites you mentioned, and I'm having no real problems meself accessing any others ... so far.
    Maybe it's just you...(?)

</font>

in summation- NO

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Funny you should say that, thats the excuse given to a dial up customer by (I think it was) Indigo a few years back when they first started because they had some problems with their routers so some of their probably blonde bimbos in their tech support at the time were telling their customers that 'The Internet was broken!' I remember it cause a friend of mine rang up and he said 'what? all of it????!' and she goes 'Yeh!'

Blade

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 26-01-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I'm lucky. I made a backup of the internet onto a floppy disk there last week. If anyone needs a copy, let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I tried to backup the internet on a floopy, but it was too big, even for a CD!!!
    But I zipped it and it fit onto the CD with enough room for some donk3y pr0n and mp3's (4LL 1LL3G4L!!!!!!)

Advertisement