Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mcp's and Mcse help ?

• 21-02-2002 6:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello guys

I am looking for some information on getting coarse material for the Mcp and Mcse exams. I have been looking around the net and done a number of searchs but I am finding it hard to find anything Irish related or even European related for that matter. Could any body pave the path to them for me Please. Your help or comments are welcomed with the upmost respect.

Best Regards

Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

what sort of info are you looking for?
    do you want to know of places where they do the courses, or just general info.

as for course material you can just ckeck amazon.co.uk and search for whatever exam it is you want to do.
    for exam centres, you will probably want to search for prometric (ithink) as they do some of the exams.
    global knowledge in dublin is one place you can do them. they also do the courses, but are quiet expensive.
    a quick search on www.google.co.uk for 'irish mcse exam centres' should return a good result for you, or somethingalong those lines.
    otherwise, just go to waterstones and they have a fine array of course materials foryou to buy. but beware, they are pretty expensive.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

You can do the MCP course at Fás. You even get paid to do it (like all Fás courses). Apparently its quite hard to get into the course but I shall know exactly how hard after my interview on monday.

Been wanting to do the MCP exam for a while... might as well take the opportunity to get paid to do it instead of me paying to do it. (Might be able to catch a semi-decent job then)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

rymus can u provide more info on this fas mcp course ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by Thomas Kelly
    Hello guys

I am looking for some information on getting coarse material for the Mcp and Mcse exams. I have been looking around the net and done a number of searchs but I am finding it hard to find anything Irish related or even European related for that matter. Could any body pave the path to them for me Please. Your help or comments are welcomed with the upmost respect.

Best Regards

Tommy

Hey Thomas,

Do the following, it is a clever way to do it, where you will get an extra four letters after your name, I'm currently on this path, get yourself some books and do a little research on the net and before you know it, you'll be an MCSE, for me it's an upgrade cos I was too lazy to study for the freebie they were giving. The following exams will be MCP/MCSE/MCSA titles, they shouldn't take a huge amount of effort if you deal with this type of thing everyday and also if you can stay awake reading the tripe ;)

Anyways good luck.

1. 70-210 Installing, Configuring and Administering Windows 2000 Professional
    2. 70-215 Installing, Configuring and Administering Windows 2000 Server
    3. 70-216 Implementing and Administering Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure
    4. 70-217 Implementing and Administering Windows 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure

CORE DESIGN ONE REQUIRED:

1. 70-220 Designing Security for a Windows 2000 Network

TWO ELECTIVE REQUIRED:

1. 70-218 Managing a Windows 2000 Network Environment
    2. 70-222 Migrating from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000

Originally posted by yellum
    rymus can u provide more info on this fas mcp course ?

I can indeed. First of all it starts sometime mid march (according to the most recent Fas documentation). Its either 19 or 26 weeks long (depending on which piece of paper you look at. That includes 3 weeks in company experience. Oh and the 19/26 weeks are full time monday to friday - like regular college. The 'official' title of the course is Networking & Data Communications Installation & Maintenance.

You have to be 20 or over with relevant post leaving qualification or suitable experience. It also says that good presentation and communication skills are essential also (but isint that usually a space filler anyway?!?)

Those were the details of the course as of November 2001.

If youre interested in enrolling get yourself into the fas office on sullivans quay for an application form and a date for the interview. You'd want to get in their quickly cos if u leave it ure likely to miss the date for interviews (and have to wait till a date comes up next month).

the phone number for the cork fas office is 4856200

Ohh and look.. everything I've just said is on the fas website here

There are some minor differences between the website and what ive posted, but im presuming mine is correct cos its the info they are giving out up at the office.

Get yourself up there fast - looks like an excellent course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Thomas Kelly

Hello Guys

Thanks for all your help you have provided me with all the knowladge I need on getting started. Google.co.uk was very help full I also was down the local fas office and applyed for their coarse.

Best Regards

Tommy.

tell us how you get on.
    im sure more people would be interested inthis if they knew about it.
    i would have saved myself 3 years fluffin about in college doing physics if id known about this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Thomas Kelly

Will do mate.

Rymus,
    Apparently theres 180 people down for that course in Fas in Cork. There's 20 places. From the info I got you also have to be registered with Fas before you can apply for the course, and you have to wait for the next registration day to come around. Man government redtape in action...

They said if you know someone in Fas you have a good chance of getting in the course. They actually said that !

Originally posted by yellum
    Rymus,
    Apparently theres 180 people down for that course in Fas in Cork. There's 20 places.

Ohh arse! There goes my chance of getting in then. I've been registered with fas for a while. Ahh well... Off to get an application form for some extreeme career direction change - like the gardai or the air corps or something..

Time to pool my resources and see if I know anyone that works in fas. thanks for the depressing news all the same though.

• Advertisement

Would you believe you'll get on the course if you have a drugs problem. I know someone that managed to skip a years waiting list for another course when their drugs councillor rang up.

Can you sound like a drugs councillor ? Try it, emotional blackmail will work.

"If you don't let Rymus on the course and he OD's it will be your fault, mmmmmkay "

/me shoots up on heroine and gets into rehab within the space of 2 hours..

"I... nneeeeeeed this courrrrrsee....."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Tommy,
    You should get the exam cram books. There's a core four set that you can buy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1576107248

You should also buy/steal/copy Windows 2000 Server and play about with it.

I did the "Designing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure" exam for the design option and was fairly poxy with all these waffly type questions where every answer is right, just not right enough. That's the only difficult one, the rest aren't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

was gonna post the best resource, braindumpheaven, but looks like its been finally put to rest.

try this instead:

http://www.foxinternet.net/web2/tonycharity/mcse_links.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

just on the microsoft server thingy ,if you ring up those little guys
    they send you out trial copys, which are great for using for the exam crap books,me got copys of server / advanced server /
    professional

See big bad microsoft is just a little cuddly toy really!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

Best idea is to sign up with 2test.com they provide the courses so you can book whenever you want wherever u want there is a listing for dublin and worldwide.. Best of luck..!

on a follow up to a previous post - i went for my interview today for the Fas MCP course. I managed to get in (after a grueling 2 minute interview). The only thing is that the waiting list for the course is about 18 months.. so i'll be lucky to get started in may 2003

time to apply in mc donalds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

dont give up yet ,
    there should be one starting in fas limerick soon, and if its already started , people drop out and new people start

i did the course about a year ago and for the first two months
    people were coming and going the whole time

ill be going down this week so if you catch me before that ,ill see if i can get you in , the Trainer is well decent so if he could get past the red tape he would

But like i said before thursday/friday if you want to go
    send me a private message
    or ur number and name or something

hok

ahh, its nice when we get dates going on the work board.
    tell me if i need to buy a new hat or not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

Best way to Mcse has to be self study. Get two cheap computers and Microsoft training kits and trial copies of software and start playing on your own time once you are near to exams use the Cram books. You will learn better then going to a course if you really want to but probably stating that you went to course is better then saying self studied in your CV.
    Market is bad and with no experience getting a job just with Mcse is very hard, unless you know the person interviewing you!!!:D

I wish there was another Y2K!!:D :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement