Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Telecommunications Facts

Options
  • 21-02-2002 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Typed that into Google and the first page back was this:

http://www.irlgov.ie/iveagh/zzzzzzz/facts/services.htm

" Telecommunications
    The Irish telecommunications system is one of the most advanced and sophisticated in Europe. Telecom Eireann is a State-sponsored organisation providing a wide

range of telecommunications services. The total number of telephone lines has been growing steadily. There are approximately 83 lines per 100 households.

In line with EU policy, and in advance of schedule, the telecommunications market in Ireland will be fully liberalised by the end of 1998. Three licences for the provision of mobile telephony services have been granted, namely to Eircell, Esat Digifone and Meteor. The digital GSM mobile telephone network serves over 95% of the population.

The country’s international network is 100% digital. Telecom Eireann is a key player in the teleservices industry with over 30 international companies having set up call centre operations in Ireland, for example UPS, Gateway 2000, Best Western and Dell
    "

The next link: http://www.irlgov.ie/iveagh/information/facts/iib/services.htm is more or less the same.

http://www.idaireland.com/docs/yframes/faivsy.html

There it says:

" Telecoms

Ireland has one of the most advanced and competitive telecommunications infrastructures in Europe. The investment of over $5bn in recent years has resulted in state-of-the-art optical networks and virtually unlimited bandwidth. The telecommunications market is fully de-regulated and currently over 20 companies compete on the basis of value-added services.

Some of the leasing telecommunications providers active in the Irish market include WorldCom/UUNet, Eircom, BT/Esat Telecom, GTS, Cable and Wireless, Colt and Furmus. "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"Gateway 2000" - didn't they get rid of that name about 1997, so as no to be blamed for Y2K? Must be the daftest websaite I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭limey_tank

What amazes me is that this is true. Ireland has (or had) a really great infrastructure. I was looking forward to a nice DSL line in 2000. Of course things have changed in the last 4 years. And they are still trying to sell ISDN (1980's technology at 1980's pricing) and Tony O'Reilly stole everybodys stock etc.....

You know, as time passes by, my need for broadband increases by the week. I'm going into Kevin st. to do my big transfers, but that won't last for long. And I'm never going to be able to afford it at this rate, and I plain refuse to pay by the Megabyte. The more desperate I become the more desperate the measures I will consider taking.

Barry
    (it been said before I know, but not by me:-))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

the sad fact is that students and sme's are losing out badly, and its only going to damage the economy... *cough* IS damaging the economy. Its not funny any more when I see a small company of 10 people, sharing one 56k line. Its embarrassing

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by ando
    Its not funny any more when I see a small company of 10 people, sharing one 56k line. Its embarrassing

Try a branch of a multinational corporation, with 35-odd employees, sharing a 64k leased line. Not just for the Internet: for access to the corporate AS/400, for internal email, for WAN file-sharing, and for the Internet.

If it wasn't for the AS/400 needing always-on connectivity, we probably would have been stuck with dial-up.

Is it any wonder I had to quit and retire to the countryside?

Advertisement