Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap Broadband offering flat rate high speed internet...

Options
  • 21-02-2002 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Leap Broadband to spend E19m on infrastructure
    Thursday, February 21 07:58:52

(Business & Finance)

Leap Broadband will launch its flat-rate high speed internet access service in the coming weeks and has pledged to spend E19m on infrastructure over the next five years, reports this week's Business & Finance magazine.

Leap is the wireless local loop operator that has risen from the ashes of Formus Communications.

A year ago Formus closed after its US parent became another casualty of the telecoms industry downturn. Original shareholders Charlie and Rory Ardagh have bought Formus' assets and are relaunching the service.

Bart Bonsall, former managing director of Chorus, has joined Leap as chief executive and he says the company intends to raise E12m in three tranches with the first funding round due to close next week.

The company promises to bring low-cost, always-on internet connection to the SME market which to date has had no alternative to expensive leased lines.

"The development of the Irish telecommunications network falls well behind the UK and other European countries. Recent market conditions have meant that existing operators have delayed network development and thus Irish business users have not had access to low cost, high performance services that are readily available elsewhere," Bonsall said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

they used to be eap.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

No doubt there will be something to make this latest broadband hope a pipe-dream. Like the service only being offered to those who were born while Venus was in Mercurys shadow etc etc

It being only available in Dublin should get you started. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

not only that but only basically dublin 1 and bites of 2

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We're getting on the trial.... they have the experience and have done it before (Formus was actually live and hosting connections for real companies before it went bang).

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

It may have been live but it only had a handfull of customers..

fair play to them tho - hope it works out for them

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

fair play to them tho - hope it works out for them

Indeed, anyone who can get the whole thing kickstarted will get a nice fresh pack of Bourbon Cream biscuits from me. I may even buy them a pint if they're really good. You can't say fairer that that, can you? :)

adam

You can't no. :P

Its great that they have the testicular fortitude to do it. It doesn't take much though to realise that people are screaming out for cheap bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

there was an article today in the business section of the irish times about LEAP Wireless. not so much as article as a little mention in the right hand column of the technology page, but hey, im still hopefull.

i hope it takes off, moving to dublin4 in september and there is nothing there afaik apart from phone lines even though the ntl office is like, right across the road

/me thinks about getting a nice long 500ft rj45 cable

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Originally posted by Zyox
    /me thinks about getting a nice long 500ft rj45 cable [/B]

You mean cat5 cable, with rj45 connectors!
    And you're limited to 100meters.
    Set up a wireless link! I'm sure NTL wouldn't notice.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Dublin Dublin fecking Dublin forgive me for being a retard but using a beamed system in a built up city then egnoring the rural population where it would really be helpfull sucks **** out of a dead donkeys arse with a flexy straw suck it and see.**** dublin they have a **** load more hope of getting a decent connection than us bumkins.1million in dub rest of the country 3million but ddddddddaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh dubil people live closer together so it "MUST" be more cost affective ****ing retards.

Stone (not only pissed but pissed off too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Originally posted by Stonemason
    Dublin Dublin fecking Dublin...

The (sad) reality is, that if it doesn't happen in Dublin, it's unlikely to happen anywhere else either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

wow, now im agreeing with Yoda :)

The reality is that the most profit to be made is probably in Dublin (or Cork, or Limerick), simply because of the concentration of business there. If Kinnegad offered the same ratio of businesses to area then they would aim it there. If it suceeds, then a rollout could take place elsewhere.

Its true, they're going to go where the money is, they ain't stupid. (Ignore the bit about Formus going bankrupt :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

mmm...Broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

/me thinks about getting a nice long 500ft rj45 cable

You won't get a signal over 200m...... without some kind of amplification

no tv and no beer make homer something something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Dustaz
    wow, now im agreeing with Yoda :)

The reality is that the most profit to be made is probably in Dublin (or Cork, or Limerick), simply because of the concentration of business there. If Kinnegad offered the same ratio of businesses to area then they would aim it there. If it suceeds, then a rollout could take place elsewhere.

Haw haw, pull the other one.

Here is sad reality, I live not 5 minutes walk from the Garden of rememberence (less probably) and the company I work for is about 2 minutes walk from my house right, ok.... the only options for meself and the company are the emasculated iolnolimits I still use or the exorbatant fee that the company pays for 128k isdn, eof, do you see what I'm getting at? In very select areas of the South Side you can get different types of broadband, but in reality most people who could avail of the ntl service or would have the interest ie(students) are not prepaired to live in tempelogue or tallaght and no one can actually afford adsl even if it were available.

Still if this company can provide a high speed alternative to isdn I'm pretty sure I can swing it's implementation in the company (I am unoffically the 'technical expert' :D , good looking, genius, modest to boot). Where was I, does anyone have a link to these guys and their mecca of connectivity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

But unless there is some extremely high ground overlooking dublin i cant see how a line of site technology will be of use in a built up erea.At least around here using an omni directional transponder on top of keeper hill you could cover quite a large user base.Also bare in mind that there would be no exspencive lines to lay or maintain personal i would except the cost of the required hardware to recieve such a service simply because the intial outlay would soon be recoverd in savings from no longer having to pay per minute.With the added fact that with technology being what it is today i could have a connection that would actualy be of use to me.

Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by Stonemason
    But unless there is some extremely high ground overlooking dublin i cant see how a line of site technology will be of use in a built up erea...

Stone

The Spike

How about placing an omni directional transponder 120m high? I'm sure that would have quite a bit of coverage! At least it will make the damn monument useful;)

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mega1

LEAP will only be used for business and they have no plans personal customers. but i am testing something the same at the min and i hope to be setup by the end of the summer all going well, my access will be for everyone.

Advertisement