Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connection problems

• 16-01-2001 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

i recently got a lovley new comp.
    its a big thing and im not goin to bore you with the stats.
    my problem is with my internet connevion.
    ive got a lucent win modem and it connects me at 4.6kbs +
    thats not the problem the problem is that my connection comes in spurts.
    ie im on the web ,playing cs, anything and my connection dies.
    i dont disconnect but i just stop downloading anything.
    this happens about every 5mins and lasts about 1 min.
    anybody have any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

What I****P are you u****ing? Anyway, high-****pee**** mo****em connection**** are alway**** un****table. Limit the max ****pee**** of your connection to ****omething like 44,000bp**** an**** it ****houl**** be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

haha, looks like someone has screwed up their filters... dodgy **** stuff going on there man
    Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Woohoo, i got a curse in there

Gav

As I was ****ing saying before all this ****e happened...internet modem connections are always unstable at high speed. Limit your connection speed to something like 44,000bps by using the init string and it should be fine.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Frodo, by any chance are you connected to NTL ?
    as I have this problem and I'm connected to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

winmodem? errrm *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Nah, the lucent chipset is the exception in winmodems, i.e., it's good.

Try : http://808news.com/56k/ltwin.htm

or

http://www.lagless.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Frodo@work

no im not on ntl
    mmmm the same thing happens with my old modem wich is a peace of ****.
    could it have something to do with explorer.
    souls i reinstall it.
    lucent make rockin winmodems.
    this modem gives me a faster connection than the 1 or 2 externals ive tried.
    and it only cost me £20. if i ever pay jm that is smile.gif.

Did you try limiting the connection speed? The phone lines doesn't let you send or recieve more than 5kb/sec which is about 40,000bps anyway. The connection on my 56k modem used to be very unstable and I'd get lockups etc when it tries to connect at the fastest possible speed. You might be having the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

It sounds like your phone line young feller.

The odd time for a few days my connection will get like that, not sure why or how but it just happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

This happened to me on my old winmodem 2 andy, Dunk here biggrin.gif

Have u configured network neighborhood to send small packets?

Have you pinged your isp through DOS??

Find out what size packets your isp is sending and receiving info at??

My winmodem would be connected to gamespy and then all of a sudden.........All servers wouldn't ping, then it came back bout min l8er!!!!!

My external faxmodem/Trust/USB connects at 46,666, I get a ping of bout 150 and download between 4.5 and 6.0k a sec!!!

Get an external, it will be worth it.

I think compustore in sandyford ind. est. have still got 1 or 2 pace56 modems in!!!

They are the best, especiall for your pingaling on C/S. smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I have Lucent Winmodem 1646 I thik, I forgot whatv it said exactly on the chip. i kknow they're good, i checked Lagless.com ages ago, and with new drivers, Oceanfree as my ISP (previously Eircom <sic> ) I get 28880 using the Oceanfree connect thing on my desktop. My gamespy ping is usually around 200 for most Irish CS servers running Linux and I get around 3k download. I have never ever been kicked off, the modem connects when I want every time and I can't really complain. Except 28800. WTF? I live 8 miles from my exchange (Eircom <is it their gear I wonder?? HMM?> ) in Galway city and use a 50ft extension cable plugged into the primary socket (I think - must look at the wiring plans for the house). I'm pretty sure the cable is not at fault cos a cousin of mine uses one stuck together, literally, with pieces of sellotape in places and he gets 44000bps roughly. Could it be the wiring in my house? We had an extension built a few years ago and I think there is a loose end in the attic some where. I'd really like to check it out and see for myself. Could anyone e-mail me a wiring schematic with colours for phones?? Where can I get new drivers? My lucent is a genius pack but they only have drivers from 1997 on there site. Lucent is hard to track down, can't seem to find new drivers anywhere. Does anyone have a similar setup??
    Lucent modems are ok is the long 'n short of it. THX -=SyxPak=-, Moycullen, Galway

Hee hee... he said a 50ft extension cable.

Hee hee.

Oh by the way if you didn't gather from my previous post, a 50ft extension cable is BAD.

You wanna make the connection from your modem to your Eircom installed wall jack as short as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Hee hee... he said a wall jack.
    Hee hee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

The length of your phone extention doesnt make a damn of a difference, Think about it. If you have 50 feet, from ur PC to ur Wall jack it doesnt make 2 ****s of a difference cos its like another >1km to the telemaphone exchaissimo.
    (telephone exchange)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

The length of cable can make a difference. Talk to anybody who has done tech support for an isp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

wondering if i can get a **** in this thread

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

the 50ft could be the problem
    becuase it requires more power for the line, which it cna't get
    also do you use a splitter ?
    they usually eat up the power and theerefore you get lower connect speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Frodo@work

people you seem to be missing the point.
    it aint got **** to do with my modem ,cables, distance etc.
    i think its a software problem.
    i connect at 4,8 kbs
    that is good, i dont want to change my modem.
    but when im on the net my connection freezes and then starts up again.
    it doesnt happen anymore when im playing cs etc only when im using internet explorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

This has happened to me with my last 4 modems.

I had a 336 winmodem(twas ace) then 2 56k winmodems, both were crappy and now i have a external 56k Mr.Modem which gives me no problems at all....bar those 'pauses'.

Guess what...Ive a 50 foot phone cable, and I also worked for an isp so I know the cable does matter. Ive had several os reinstalls in the past 2 years and also had different operating systems on the machine(linux) with the same probs so im willing to bet its not a software problem.

I can live with it, even though it can happen in cs a bit still, but i need a 50foot cable if i want my comp in my room biggrin.gif

Snaga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Frodo....4.8 kbs is BAD.

I think what you mean is 4.8 kBs (as in BYTES). There's a lot in a capital - don't get annoyed because you used the wrong descriptor and led people to believe your connection was b0rked......

Anyway, sounds like a TCP/IP problem then. Try removing it (And everything from Network Neighbourhood actually for the hell of it) - then re-add just DialUpAdapter, TCP/IP and Client for Msoft Windows (But set the logon to Windows only)

ReaveR.gif

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 26-01-2001).]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The length of cable can make a difference. Talk to anybody who has done tech support for an isp </font>

ROFL ISP tech support will always try and blame the line on your end for their $hite service. It doesn't matter a damn as Renton pointed out what lenght your cable is once it's not squashed by a door or someone walking on it every day and once you don't have dod*** splitters along it. If your connecting at 46,000 regularly or around that then it's NOT your line, if however you get a few odd connects of below 40,000 then it is your cable or the connection of your line at your local junction box which Eircom will sort out for you. Also if you pick up a handset on your line and press any digit to remove the tone you'll be able to hear if your line is reasonably clear, if the crackling is fairly noticable then it's your line.

Blade

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

D O D G E Y is banned??? Or was it the G E Y word that Daa made up?

Blade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DXX21

There are a few things to check on your line:

What else is connected?
    1. Some phones with memories / line powered speaker phones can cause problems. They intermittently draw power from the line to keep memory settings or power clocks, this can mess up your modem connection (especially older phones)
    If they have fancy functions and now ac supply or batteries.. be wary.. same goes for payphones, they are almost always line powered.

Try plugging everything except the modem out and make an internet call, if this resolves the problem, you'll know it's your phone.

2. Do you have a phonewatch type alarm? These actually pick up the phone occasionally during calls to check the line is ok! (call phone watch!)

3. Is call waiting off ? dial #43# and if you get an announcement or a long tone/ringing tone.. your callwaiting is now off.. if you get an engaged tone it wasn't active in the first place.

4. Your line may be carried on a pair gain system. i.e. eircom are carrying more than one line over a single copper pair. These systems can be spotted pretty easily, you'll have a large box where your phone line comes into the house, or possibily on the line pole. They usually put it in the house though. Older pairgain systems tend to cause way more problems. They're fine for voice calls but narrow the bandwidth available on the line and skrew up modems.
    Ringing the repair service 3/4 times a day will usually sort this out! smile.gif Or if you happen to know the number for your local exchange, call them there or ask to speak to a local engineer, they can be a lot more sympathetic and knowledgable than the drones in their call centres! At least they know what they're talking about! As in they know what pair gain is, they know what a modem is, a telephone etc..

Check your home for grey boxes with "pairgain" or "property of the telephone company" etc on them. They're obvious and definately not simple junction boxes!

Finally the most simple questions:

How old is the cabling in your house?
    is it beige plastic stuff or twisted pairs?
    open twisted copper or aluminium pairs are usually 60's - 70s installations!

Check for simple things like are any of the phone wired crossing major sources of electromagnetic fields.. eg. power cabling, televisions, microwaves.. etc..

Pick up and dial a digit and listen.. crackles or cross over is BAD!

If you have 2 lines check for crosstalk..
    pick up the modem line while an other call is going on on the other line. Dial a digit to get rid of the dial tone, see if you can hear the other conversation. If so you have a problem with crosstalk! smile.gif Basically one line inducing a current on the other due to poor insulation, usually in older wiring systems.

If you have a home PABX or anything of that nature by pass it!

Finally check for metering pulses. These sound like a very high pitch tone applied to the line every time a unit is used. U'll hear them on payphones/cardphones. Some lines had them activated for various reasons. If you hear them and dont need them tell eircom to turn them off.
    hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Jeez, sorry I took sooooo loooonnngg replying, Leaving cert. , mother paying/complaining about phone bills ( which shouldn't be so damn high).

Anyways, that is a great help, thanks man! Did or do you work for a telecomms company or ISP or something?? Christ, that should be a FAQ on its own. My lucent modem is supposedly the cream of Winmodems (means FU(k all really lol) but when I downloaded new drivers for it I got a LOWER throughput, around 1 - 1.5kbytes! The ping was **** too. I saw a thing on a website that said that if the isp didn't have the right software at their end your speed would drop back to 28800bps no matter what your modem had(X2, K56Flex, V.90) I am constantly connecting at 28800 so I reckon it has to be a software prob or possibly something at the Oceanfree server I'm connecting to, I'm not sure. A neighbour of mine got Isdn and he has an external modem free so I might try that soon. I actually have two Dial-up adapters installed one normal one a and one with' VPN Suport ' WTF is that? The drivers seem identical, same dates and everything. Will an external modem use the IRQ of the comm port it's connected to?? The 5oft cable is not (to my knowlage) near and EM source, though we do have a microwave in the kitchen where the wall-socket is... We got an extension built a few years back and a second phone was put down in a room, not a second line mind juct an extension of the 1st one. I believe the wiring of the house is fu(ked basically, I think there is a couple of loose ends up there and I really need t to be sorted out. Luckily a guy working for Eircom lives nearby but I don't want to pressure him cos it would be on his own time u c. 2day I d/led MTUSpeed to try it out, with no noticable effect unfortunately. there doesn't seem to be any noise on the line during voice calls but I haven't had a chance to check the gainpair thing yet. It really is a ***** that Eircom's helpline staff are soo ignorant and just want to get you on isdn so they can suck more blood from your veins..
    This is getting too long, time to star a new thread, or catagory even. go back up to the origin and look at his post pleez. thanks again for the help, I have an uncle who's an electrician so he might be able to help me. is there newhere I can get schematics for phone cabling?? One last thing, I got a ISA adaptec SCSI card, on internal connector, 50-pin. Can I rig a cable out the back of the case to plugin a SCSI zipdrive??

THX loads again, -=SyxPak=-

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Once she nearly suffocated,
    Now she breathes through a smoking barrel

Advertisement