Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is this..........

• 26-01-2001 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

what is cpu hysteresis ?
    Anyone know coz its bugging me lol

Ta
    Stone biggrin.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭PJ Hunt

Hysteresis refers to something about the effects of changing the state of something, like the temperature of your CPU. If your CPU gets hot, cold, hot, cold, etc, it's going to have an effect on the materials, just like bending a spoon back and forth. There's also some references to the lag between action and the subsequent effect. But the first is most relevent when it comes to CPU temp monitoring.

The hysteresis feature only is useful if you have a variable speed fan on a system that tries to keep the CPU at a relatively constant temperature. By setting the hysteresis feature below the max temp, you're telling the fan to shut off or slowdown so it doesn't overcool. By increasing the range between the two temperatures, you lengthen the cycle at which it starts to shift the temperature in the other direction.

The benefit to a smaller range is that you can keep your CPU at it's optimum temperature. The downside is you have a higher hysteresis, meaning more cycles of changing temperature. Like wiggling a spoon, it can have an adverse effect on the materials.

Got to do with AMD's I think.

‡PJ‡

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

thx muchly pj well presented too hehehe

Stone biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭PJ Hunt

Your welcome...
    But I forgot these ---> " "
    smile.gif

‡PJ‡

Advertisement