Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

15¢ per plastic bag

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

mike, you started it, and seem to want to continue it... sad really, do any of your posts have points in them?

victor, even if it was 100 billion i dont see the harm or justification for a charge on each plastic bag, in fact the only harm i can see is the hassle of having to carry your purchases back from the shop, i mean, do extra plastic bags in a land fill, or a few littered, actually harm anyone physically?

if the goverment wanted to actually make a difference, they should tackle the amount of fumes from vehicles which can physically harm you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

l3rian,

You sent the message not me, anyway I'll stop it happily.

The tax on Plastic Bags is the only time a law in this country has caused an immediate change in behaviour among the population and therefore there will be more taxes of this nature I suspect over the next year or two. There will be addditional costs for the consumer on for example purchases of fridges and tyres.

As for the damage done by plastic bag litter well what about damage to toursim (foreigners find the Irish very dirty) and blocking up of drains which cause flooding during heavy rain,
    animals/birds being caught up in them and dying slow deaths. I could go on...

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

The fact that a few less bags make it to a landfill is only a small part of what this levy on bags has achieved. The fact is it has make more ppl concious of what they are actually doing to the enviorment.

Its sad really that only way to ppl to actually do something good is to attact there pockets.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by mike65
    Do all cool newbies go through a plonker stage....?

No, not all
    I gota say the 15c levy is excellent!

Just look on the streets and roads around the country and you can see the change it has made.

Now if only they could do something about other litter we'd be sorted

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Keeks
    The fact is it has make more ppl concious of what they are actually doing to the enviorment.

Yes I totally agree, it really has, As an example my house has gone from dumping almost everything , to recycling cans & glass and composting (shame there's no place for paper).
    Its sad really that only way to ppl to actually do something good is to attact there pockets.

Very sad, but also very true, its a start but the Goverment could certainly do alot more like introducing compulsery recylcing, and if you don't do it your fined!

Its harsh but it NEEDS to be done.

Advertisement