Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircon i-Stream: Screw this, I'm selling out.

Options
  • 21-02-2002 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

For me, the situation is as follows:
    The quicker I can get my online life back, the better.[Yes, I live Online..] So, I'm quite prepaired to fork out 500Euro's to get the Flat Rate I-Stream access. I have NO DOUBTS that Eircon will drop the price of the monthly payments just a wee bit, Once they see Chorus come running with the DSL which will be 30 quid a month.

If they DON'T, then Eircon's board of directors are far less intellegent that I had previously predicted.

Time is Money.
    Eircon looks like the company wich will produce high speed net access first.

Chorus are just lazy bastards.

I'll give Eircon this: They've never told me I could have something when I actually couldn't.
    Powernet will be avalable in the wicklow area, some time in mid 2001.

Bollocks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Sorry to break this to you, but Eircoms I-stream isnt available to anyone outside trial areas yet. When it is launched, it will initially only be some areas in dublin.
    You may be waiting a while for them to get round to wicklow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Originally posted by Dustaz
    but Eircoms I-stream isnt available to anyone outside trial areas yet. When it is launched, it will initially only be some areas in dublin.

There was two trial periods though yes/no?

And does this mean that it will be launched in all the areas trialed in these two periods??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by Arboration
    So, I'm quite prepaired to fork out 500Euro's to get the Flat Rate I-Stream access. I have NO DOUBTS that Eircon will drop the price of the monthly payments just a wee bit, Once they see Chorus come running with the DSL which will be 30 quid a month.

Um, would the price not be locked during the 12 month contract with them?

Just a thought...:confused:

Apart from that, Chorus have a tendency to say things they can't stick to - apparently their cable service was launching here last year...then last summer...then new year...then this summer... Well, you get my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by NoelRock
    apparently their cable service was launching here last year...then last summer...then new year...then this summer... Well, you get my point.

unfortunally I do get your point ! I can clearly see the three rock mountain if I look to my left, but am stil waiting to see a single powernet sign anywhere on that hill :( ! after being told it would be available by last august 2001

BTW, are Esat doing Dsl trials anywhere now ? and just as the idea is with me, when are esat going to be launching their dsl in limerick ? (if you remember, the only eircom exchange esat have access to is limerick)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

BTW, are Esat doing Dsl trials anywhere now ? and just as the idea is with me, when are esat going to be launching their dsl in limerick ?

As I said in another thread, I don't see it as very likely that Esat will roll out a consumer/SOHO DSL product on the yet-to-be-unbundled lines. It would appear that they will target current and prospective leased line customers with ever-so-slightly lower prices and value-added services (VoIP). Perhaps the Esat people who monitor our forum would like to call me and clarify.

(if you remember, the only eircom exchange esat have access to is limerick)

Not any more, they appear to have access to at least three exchanges now.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Not any more, they appear to have access to at least three exchanges now.
    adam

oh sweet ;) I did'nt know that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

the situation is as follows, the adsl prise will not be 500euro, your looking at 120 euro or lower.

you are locked in for 12 months

it is only available in trial areas

there are 3(not two) trial areas, the orgianl 9 exchanges, another 7 exchanges (i think it was 7) that brougfht it to the north side of the city, and then eventually there will be inner city upogrades for business users in dublin 1-2.

we are curently on the second trial, good news for me, is that the trial has been extremely problematic in alot of the newly upgraded exchagnes with few excpetions, so dont expect phase 3 anytime soon.

Actually boston, your on the 4th trial. There were two trials before the one i signed up on.
    Not sure what areas they covered, but the first one when dsl was first introduced defintly covered people living in dublin 2. Im pretty sure that first one wasnt a public one tho.

Actually worng again Dustaz, im on about the 8th dsl trial here and about the 6th adsl one.

your forgetting all those HDSL trial TE had, the trials in ennis of VDSL and ADSL, the trials in dublin for eircom employies for the last 2 mayeb 3 years. the trials at the moment in limirick,

basically the trials im on are way down the line. i was repharing to the stages of this particular, of which in were in the first phase (actually i dont know that because i dont know when you got it)and i was in the second. there was a document on eircoms site, which showed all the inner workings of this trial, the ratios and bandwidth to each exchange, the number o user per exchange, then it broke all the exchanges that are to be upgraded for lauch day, into 3 groups, of which the first 9 were group one(phase one) the exchange im on was in group two, among others and the several other excahnges in group 3

Btw i know TE had HDSL trials, because i saw some HDSL equipment somewhere once with their markings

Interesting about the HDSL, never knew that. Pity they didnt see fit to give it a go before they rebranded :(

Are you sure about 6 adsl trials? Im just going by what i was told by 'bloke down the pub who works in eircom' type of thing. He wasnt counting employee trials (hed already had me jealous about them for a while:P ).

Its also interesting that the newer exchanges are having problems - Youd think theyd have it down by now due to the amount of practise theyve had :) . Do you know what sort of trouble theres been?

There was very few problems in my exchange from what ive been told, whether thats cos its newer or they just had longer to set it up, i dont know.

• Advertisement

by newer i just mean newer to be upgraded to DSL,

its logical(to me anyway) that they would upgrade the highest quality exchanges first to adsl, probably that 9 on the south side.

then move onto the less modern, my exchange was refitted completely when TE became eircom, because of the extremely poor standards. Ive never had a problem.

But ive heard sorrys about the serivce going down on other exchanges, they having to stop installations on some exchanges, the use of a sub exchange (dont know exactly what that is) on one exchange meaning no one or few could get adsl even thought it was upgraded.

theres been aload of them, i get the impressio nit hasnt gone at all well compared with the first phase.

As for HDSL, afaik they use a form of it (growly cut down) to provide leased lines in parts of dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Originally posted by Boston
    the situation is as follows, the adsl prise will not be 500euro, your looking at 120 euro or lower.

Not with a per Mb charge and a ridiculous cap.....

o yea, i forgot about that, see on the trial theres no cap

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Not sure what areas they covered, but the first one when dsl was first introduced defintly covered people living in dublin 2. Im pretty sure that first one wasnt a public one tho.

The Dundrum Exchange (D.14 & D.16 anyway) was apparently on the first "trial" which was "EirCON only"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Arboration - If you buy DSL at such a rediculous proce from Eircom, that means you will be giving into them, and they will have won. I think thats what they are trying to do. Dont buy anything like ISDN or DSL from Eircom. Dont let them beat you, and that goes for everyone else. We shouldnt have to pay such a high price for DSL, or anyting like that. We need flatrate. Eircom wont give that to us until it is absolutely necessary for them ( ie: if and when that telecoms bill finally arrives and gives the ODTR teeth ).

Just bear with us

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

I cant handle the phone bills man!
    150Euro a month is a HUGE drop from what I get.

Ha, you havent a hope of getting a bill that is that prise, my adsl is free, i hardly use the damn phone and my last bill was 150 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

Ha, you havent a hope of getting a bill that is that prise, my adsl is free, i hardly use the damn phone and my last bill was 150 euro

Yes, need I remind you that you actually HAVE adsl.
    I lkive in wicklow, I wont HAVE adsl, or flate rate access untill 2198. Hey thats a reasonable assumption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

I cant handle the phone bills man!
    150Euro a month is a HUGE drop from what I get.

What kind of phonebills do you get? I also get huge phonebills, and it makes my stomach churn every time I have to pay hundreds of euro to Eircom, only to have that money spent on some stupid rat! It also incences me that the government are doing 'nothing' about it at all. In fact Id say theyre being counter productive, giving Eircom €18m for regional broadband investment!, andn not giving the comms bill a passing.

I wish I could say to you, yes there is an alternative, but as long as there is corruption and outright greed present in the telecoms industry, I cant help you out. My only idea for now is to connect to NTL or Esat, who offer free weekend access or 1 cent per minute online respectively. You could also arrange to have a wireless area network setup amongst you and your mates, so you can share the cost of going online, and that would make matters easier.

Its your call. Just dont give in to Eircom.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I wont HAVE adsl, or flate rate access untill 2198. Hey thats a reasonable assumption? [/B]

More than that,- it's (probably) Eircom's official planned launch date for ADSL in Wicklow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

haha funny!

It could actually be worse , you could live in Cork City like me!

We seem to be overlooked for everything , really getting to me at this stage :(

Advertisement