Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

INSURANCE (Pain in the *rse!)

Options
  • 21-02-2002 4:34pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is simple...
    :o
    Tell us ur age,
    ur type of licence,
    ur insurance company,
    ur car type/size/age,
    how long ur driving,
    and how much ur insurance is?
    :D
    maybe it will help some of us shop around and get a better deal? seeing as to how MIJAG altho well intentioned is turning out to be aseries of BOY RACER meets, even if those spa's are only a minority. Truth is after the carry on at the last meet, id be embarassed to be seen there.

COME ON MIJAG you need more cop on, whats the point? convince the public young drivers lunatics like those gobsh*tes racing around at the last meet, or get rid of them and show the rest of us are responsible young people who are being walked on and exploited by over greedy monopolistic scumbag insurance companies.:rolleyes:

:mad:
    IMO your first insurance should be at an entry level average such as the average insurance premium in ireland at the minute, it is a paltry IR£468.00(Ireland drivers pay the highest VRT tax in Europe therefore we have the highest costing cars in Europe, and also we pay the HIGHEST CAR INSURANCE PREMIUMS IN THE WORLD!!! YES... ON EARTH!!!!)

Mine is a world dominating IR£3700.
    :eek:
    That on a Punto 01-D 1.2 3 door hatch with alarm and imobiliser, is up in march, i need new quotes im with Quinn direct, but they havent requoted me as yet.
    :mad:

So come on get the finger out and post-a-quote :D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Originally posted by Morphéus
    This thread is simple...

Tell us ur age,
    ur type of licence,
    ur insurance company,
    ur car type/size/age,
    how long ur driving,
    and how much ur insurance is?

BTW.... almost forgot :D

Im 25
    Its a provisional licence
    Im with Quinn direct
    Ive a Punto 01 1.2litre
    Im driving 1 year
    My current insurance (april 2001 - present) = IR£3700
    Thats fully comprehensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Eagle Star through Marsh Brokers
    1.4l 2000 Ford Focus
    Full Licence since December 1999
    €1900 / IR£ 1400 fully comp

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

full licence
    one direct - not sure of the final insurer
    astra 1.4 2000 reg 5 door hatchback with alarm and immobliser
    driving 5 years 2 on provisional, 3 on my full (3 years no claims bonus)
    €1200 - fully comp

and this was the cheapest by about €600

The cheapest new quote ive gotten so far is Eagle Star at €3466 fully comp, i wouldnt even consider 3rd party. but il be screwed getting the deposit for this together in a month :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

car : honda prelude 2.0i 16v
    ins : 720 old irish pounds fully comp

its a disgrace i say

*cough*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by bruce wayne
    full licence
    one direct - not sure of the final insurer
    astra 1.4 2000 reg 5 door hatchback with alarm and immobliser
    driving 5 years 2 on provisional, 3 on my full (3 years no claims bonus)
    €1200 - fully comp

and this was the cheapest by about €600

One Direct my old system that I coded so well :) the underwriter for One Diect are Hibernian. I would say they gave you a intro bonus with a price like that (most likely they boosted you up to about 40% NCB)

If anyone else is posting up dont forget your sex and your area the most important parts of the story in insurance.

Morphéus my only advice to you is get your full licence ASAP that will drop a load off your insurance.

kayos

oh yeah

PLEASE ALSO TELL WHAT SEX YOU ARE!!! MOST IMPORTANT.

im male (least i was last time i checked :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

17 year old male
    Full License
    FBD
    Opel Vectra 1.6 litre 1997 reg (insured as a named driver)
    Been driving almost a year.
    Cost about €1600 in total fully comp, of which €1000 is extra that had to be paid so that I could be a named driver. It's cheaper than usual because we have our house and some land insured with FBD and we know some people who work there..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Any chance of swingin a deal this way? Jesus christ thats fantastic! €1600 for a 17 yr old male in a 1.6 lr Vectra?!?!?!

Originally posted by Mills
    17 year old male
    Full License
    FBD
    Opel Vectra 1.6 litre 1997 reg (insured as a named driver)
    Been driving almost a year.
    Cost about €1600 in total fully comp, of which €1000 is extra that had to be paid so that I could be a named driver. It's cheaper than usual because we have our house and some land insured with FBD and we know some people who work there..... ;)

You will never get Comp insurance as a named driver AFAIK you are only third party fire and theft but your father/mother would be comp.

One thing I should have said is if you can only get TPF&T cover if you find a brooker that does Acciendental Damage cover you can get that fairly cheap as it is based nearly solely on the value of the car. Very well worth it if you can only get TPF&T.

kayos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

18 Years old
    Provisional lisence(*ahem*failed test first time*ahem*)
    Own Car(like YAW!), 01-D Polo, (only) 1.0 litre, 5dr
    Quinn Direct
    £1500-£1800 as named driver, not too sure exactly

Well pissed off at insurance, ive had my eye on the alfa 147, but being an "almighty" 1.6 litre engine and with a bit of a sporty image i dont think thats likely unless i get my full license and grow a few years, perhaps a sex change is in order........

btw, I AM full comp so i guess that maks the post above me kinda inaccurate :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog
    car : honda prelude 2.0i 16v
    ins : 720 old irish pounds fully comp

its a disgrace i say

*cough*

Thats quite a good price!
    how could you complain drive a prelude
    Orgionally posted by Neil3030
    Any chance of swingin a deal this way? Jesus christ thats fantastic! €1600 for a 17 yr old male in a 1.6 lr Vectra?!?!?!

Not that bad Neil, my quote on a Aventis 2.0 lr Turbo was 1,600-1,700 including 10-15 driving lessons, as a named driver btw

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Originally posted by kayos

You will never get Comp insurance as a named driver AFAIK you are only third party fire and theft but your father/mother would be comp.

One thing I should have said is if you can only get TPF&T cover if you find a brooker that does Acciendental Damage cover you can get that fairly cheap as it is based nearly solely on the value of the car. Very well worth it if you can only get TPF&T.

kayos

Actually I was insured as a named driver by the AA with fully comp a few years ago. Then when I got my own car they wouldn't even quote me for 3rd party. Bunch of hypocritical twats.

Licence: Full, for 3 years
    Company: Axa
    Car: 97 Mitsubishi Colt 1298cc
    Driving for 5 years, 1 year NCB, 4 years named driver

£2124 TPF&T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

licence: full (for over a year now)
    car: Punto (97) 1.2l
    company: eagle star
    price: €1100 named driver

unbeatable tho is this:

my best friend at the mo was recently quoted €9000 for his renewal...
    he's 21, full licence for 3 years...
    they said they'd bring it down to €6000 after an advanced driving course.
    of course he's a professional racing driver and has had three crashs.. but thats irrelevant, 9grand? ouch :)

Originally posted by DirkVoodoo
    18 Years old
    Provisional lisence(*ahem*failed test first time*ahem*)
    Own Car(like YAW!), 01-D Polo, (only) 1.0 litre, 5dr
    Quinn Direct
    £1500-£1800 as named driver, not too sure exactly

Well pissed off at insurance, ive had my eye on the alfa 147, but being an "almighty" 1.6 litre engine and with a bit of a sporty image i dont think thats likely unless i get my full license and grow a few years, perhaps a sex change is in order........

btw, I AM full comp so i guess that maks the post above me kinda inaccurate :P

Well if you want to be like that acouple of things to point out to you....
    1. I did say "as far as I know" which means I admitted I could be wrong. It does not make my full post inaccurate.
    2. You could not in any way shape or form (unless you are breaking the law) be a named driver on your own car now that is fact prove me otherwise.

Just to explain point 2 you can get insurance on your own car no problems but you are not a named driver if you own the car. By own I mean is it your name on the tax book for the car??? This is also what insurance companies look out for big time these days.

Also on point 1 I will try to explain myself a bit more. On most policies where there is a named driver the policy its self is fully comp but there is an endorsement put against the named driver to state that they are only covered TPF&T. So when you look at the policy you will see fully comp as the policy cover but if you check the endorsements on the policy the named driver will only be TPF&T in some cases TPO. To explain why I do know what I am talking about I have written software for one of the largest underwriter's in Ireland and others for years and I have a fairly good notion of what I am talking about.

kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Age 27
    full licence for 9 years
    1.3i Mini se7en 2000
    Allianz Ireland PLC
    IR£620 Fully Comp.
    Driving 10 years 3 years named 7 on me own.
    Never crashed (well never claimed against my insurance i mean)
    Caught drunk driving 9 years ago. lost licence for a year (appealled and got back after 6 months) and endorsed for 3 years - I don't have to mention this to the insurer anymore though.

another factor - I live in Donegal which helps I believe.
    Your job helps too by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

kayos

It's definately fully comp, but if I make a claim against it for something that happened while I was driving I have to pay the first £1000. The first place I tried quoted £3500 3rd party only, I only got such a good quote from FBD because my extended family has several million pounds worth of farms and a quarry insured all under FBD :), friend of mine tried them and was told that they don't insure anyone under 25, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

:(

Full Licence,
    With Quinn Direct,
    97 Fiat Punto 1.1,
    Driving 16 months,
    Insured at €4500 TPF&T

Insurance was the same last year, but I had a claim against me for 1,100 (wrote off an 88 micra). Obviously the fact that they still made a profit on me and I'd only been driving 2 months at the time made no difference :( Buh Bye car, Hello Bike! mmmmm bike :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

18, Driving since a month after I turned 17
    Full Licence
    BMW 525tds Estate
    2nd named driver
    Premium €1100
    Eagle Star

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

sex:male
    liscense:full driving liscense for 1.5 years
    car:none
    company:n/a
    rate:n/a

posting this because i can't afford to pay the extorsionistic rates that the rest of you are paying, i'm completely priced out of owning a car on those grounds alone. :mad: Living and working on Dublin south side doesn't help either......

and am a bit jealous that the rest of u can, especially given ages and what yer paying. :o:( (yes i know i'm bitter but i wanna car too)

not looking at any seamus in particular........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

VRT taxes ..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh
    Insurance .... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Sex: male
    Driving: Renault kangoo, company van (can't and won't bother buying my own car)
    Insurance: FBD
    Full Licence
    Insurance cost: ? i dunno ?

can anyone advise me if I can use a 'no claims bonus', as I have been driving for a year now without incident. I'm hoping it could help me when i do eventually get my own car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Age = 23
    Full Licence 4 years (passed first time)
    AXA (were PMPA)
    Merc, 2.3 litre, 16
    5 years
    Total = 1600
    For me = 845 quid.

Coyote

Originally posted by ando
    can anyone advise me if I can use a 'no claims bonus', as I have been driving for a year now without incident. I'm hoping it could help me when i do eventually get my own car
    As far as I know, it's at the company's discretion, they are unlikely to give you 1 years NCB for every year you were driving a company vehicle. They may treat it as named driver experience, but since your a young male, they'll all probably try and screw you. I know my dad had a company car for 10 years, when he left the job and got his own insurance, they gave him 5 years NCB. You'd have to get letters from your company and their insurers to prove you had no claims too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Full Licence 6 months (passed first time)
    FBD Insurance
    1996 Renault 19 1.4
    4 years
    £600 pa
    Named driver - on me ma's car even thought im the only one driving

btw - enquired to see if i could get a car - regester it with me ma again and put me down as named droiver and they say piss off we know u will be the one driving it being the third car

what's the story with those FBD heads anyway? Are they just for farmers and people like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

male
    full license 1 year
    me insurance last year was IR£3400
    Peugeot 106 1L 98
    Quinn-Direct

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

well, i actually share it with my sister, tho i do most of the driving so it is my car:P, but she is 21 and fully licensed so i guess she is main driver, i dont pay the insurance bill so i never really give it much thought, i just wanna drive. Hope that fixes it insurance guru.....

The only law i break is occasionally driving on my own, i can however think of far worse; commercial vehicles and company cars perform some of the worst driving maneuvers i have seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

The only law i break is occasionally driving on my own, i can however think of far worse

Goverment said they were goin to crack down on unsupervised driving by ppl under prov's,aint gonna happen though.

Rather see the gardai stoppin speeding cars rather then checkin to see if u are/arnt on a full licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

19 y/o male,
    provisional A1 licence (we're talking motorbikes here), so the largest thing I can drive is a 125cc, pretty much.

Its going to cost me about 1,000-1,100 euros p/a for third party only insurance on a 1999 Yamaha Virago 125. Comprehensive cover could cost me anything from 1400-1600 euros.

I've 3 years experience now (on a crappy scooter) with no claims for about 2 years and 10 months :/. Don't think this really makes a diff though. My premium didn't change the year after that claim.

Advertisement