Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

INSURANCE (Pain in the *rse!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Originally posted by Odian

Goverment said they were goin to crack down on unsupervised driving by ppl under prov's,aint gonna happen though.

Rather see the gardai stoppin speeding cars rather then checkin to see if u are/arnt on a full licence

While I agree with most of the things you post here, I'd rather see them enforcing the dangerous driving laws. There are too many idiots doing stupid things, whilst not necessarly speeding. But arguing about Garda policy is pointless. I was stopped on Bachelors Walk last week, they were checking tax and insurance. What good is that going to do in relation to road safety? They also caused a huge traffic jam. Methinks the poor bastards who were getting mugged within a few hundred metres would disagree with that policy, and why should the Gardai (paid by taxpayers) have to do the insurance companies dirty work?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Scruff
    and am a bit jealous that the rest of u can, especially given ages and what yer paying. :o:( (yes i know i'm bitter but i wanna car too)

not looking at any seamus in particular........:rolleyes:

Hence why I'm getting a bike... Last year my premium was.....subsidised.....(my parents felt sorry for me) but this year I can only afford to pay about half of it, at most, so once I get my bike, the Direct Debits to those bloodsuckers at Quinn Direct stop.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

why should the Gardai (paid by taxpayers) have to do the insurance companies dirty work?

Proabably because driving without insurance is breaking the law .

Would be a good idea for a special new motorway/road police to be set up,where ever there is a cop stopping cars for tax,there is once less cop patrolling the streets and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

20 Male
    Full Licence (Passed first time)
    97 Peugeot 406 1.8 Petrol
    Insurance - Fully comprehensively insured on my fathers company policy as the first named driver. Legally I'm actually classed as a third party while driving the car as the insurance is in a group policy in the companies name so if I crash I could seek compensation from my own policy. ;)

My father is retiring in 5 days time, so unfortunately my 3.5 yeas of free insurance will end. As my father is going back to a company as a new customer adding me as the first named driver would be hugely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Male
    92 Rover 214 si
    £2900 renewal with axa
    2nd provisional
    Software engineer
    Living in thurles co tipp

In november 2000 I bought my car, my first car, with only about 9 months named driver experience, and none of it in long stints, so the companies treated me like a new driver. I was on my second provisional.

In october, 2000, when I was 20 I was quoted £5000 for a 1 litre micra valued at £2000, 5 days later I turned 21, and my quote was £2700 (now that's retarded)

I was quoted £2800 by quinn direct.

I ended up getting a 1.4 cos the differnce wasn't that much, and I was in a good job at the time.

The 2 quotes were

Quinn direct £3200
    or AXA £3300

I actaully went with axa cos they offered a £1000 reduction, to be payed back over 5 months for 10 quid, as opposed to a similar deal from quinn direct which was gonna cost over £300 in finance and bank charges????

In october of 2001, unfortunately the engine blew, 20,000 miles in eleven months for a £1500 car was ok though, plus it was barely serviced.

I didn't want the car any more cos I'm back in college this year and couldn't afford it, but my quote was £2900, but with a load of conditions:

Even though I had a second provisional I would not drive without a fully licenced driver,

I would never break the speed limit (something I try not to do, but still object to signing to)

I would not drink drive (something I refuse to do, but also object to signing)

and another 3 or 4 conditions.

It is not axa's job to become the police, and all of these conditions are just nice little waivers for them to not cover you. The one basic fundamental of insurance law that I remember from junior cert business studies is that, if you lie to the insurance company, in any way, at all. They do not have to honour your policy if they don't want to. so be careful named drivers, if you are just that then ok, but buying a car and putting your mam as the owner, and you as a named driver, but with you as the main/only real driver is not strictly legit insurance.

Sorry for the long rant. Insurance companies are profiteering poor mouthing scumbags.

Our roads are in ****e

too many people, myself included are allowed drive without full licences.

vrt is bollox

all prices quoted are third party, I was never going to claim myself anyway.

john

[edit] god that was long [/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I had an accident on friday night when it started freezing, didn't realise it was freezing at all because it had been fine all night, and I hit a gentle corner at 70mph or so, lost it completely and spun round a few times before hitting the ditch and rolling over a time or two. Just been talking to the guys at the garage earlier, apparantly it's prettymuch a writeoff, not worth my while fixing it, but I don't think we'll be claiming on the insurance even so, because it'd end up costing so much more in the long run, don't know what I'm going to do.

I hit a gentle corner at 70mph or so,

lost it completely

Mills do ya think ure Micheal Shumacker?bloody dangerous driving.It accidents and bad driving like that,that make huge road death toll and high insurance!

Right, now we have got that bit outa the way!

What car was it?how much is it valued?wot insurance u have?Nathin better then a bit of speeding on country roads :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Originally posted by Mills
    I hit a gentle corner at 70mph or so, lost it completely and spun round a few times before hitting the ditch and rolling over a time or two.

where you on the motorway? speed limit 70?

If you were, then your damn lucky to be alive, and im glad your not hurt, maybe you shouldve been more aware of the conditions tho? i drive alot and its easy enough to know its freezing if you know how your car handles normally.

if you werent on the motorway, then in my opinion you're a fuc*ing idiot and deserve your bloody insurance costs.

Mine is £3700 because of young male dickh*ads who speed. Im a young male driver, and i dont act the b*llox in my car, i look after it and drive safely.

If i had met you in the field in your car and you were climbing out of it and id seen how fast u were going and what had happend, id have bet the sh*te out of you with a car jack and stuffed you back into your car before setting it alight. I hate boy racers their ALL w*nkers.

For every boy racer who drives his f*cking dumbass modded up to the geebags car at high speed and no concern for other road users this is for you.

Do us all a favor and go slit your wrists, *****RS the lot of you.

Im sorry im so hateful but if YOU were being screwed like me because these same muppets who just happen to be the same age and sex as you (altho obviously fuc*ing retarded) you'd feel as strongly.
    :mad:

ARGH!!!!!
    that rant felt good!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

It was on an ordinary road, not a motorway, I had no idea it was freezing, it had only just started and I'd been driving all night with no grip problems at all. I was doing 70mph because it was a straight stretch of road apart from this one very slight bend, which wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't slippy. I wouldn't consider myself a "boy racer", the car isn't modified in any way, it's not even mine, and in general I don't drive any faster than my mother or father, maybe hitting 75mph on straight stretches but taking it a lot easier through twisty areas. It won't be claimed on the insurance so it won't contribute to anyone elses high premiums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

If i had met you in the field in your car and you were climbing out of it and id seen how fast u were going and what had happend, id have bet the sh*te out of you with a car jack and stuffed you back into your car before setting it alight.

At the same time Road rage doesn't help the matter.
    It just keeps adding to the problems already there on The roads,
    It was suggested on the radio one morning that if there was
    a mental test performed on motorists - (As part of the driving test)
    Testing their reaction to different situations and general mental
    attitude towards the road and other users.
    This could reduce insurance dramatically.
    Or alternativly do an advanced driving course with the IAM.;)

ok ok ok....I did say that if it turned out you werent messing around, then thats a different story, by the way, have you a prov licence or full, cos if its prov, you shouldnt have been doing 70 on the motorway, cos youd no1 with you in the car!!

Also, i wouldnt actually beat some1 to a pulp with a carjack if they crashed, id probably call an ambulance..... then beat them to a pulp :p

LOL only joking.

Truth be known... im just annoyed with my insurance costs, i mean 4Gs for what? a ****ing wheelbarrow with a pissy little 1242cc engine and about 80 bhp??? i rang screw you direct sorry quinn direct this morning, and she said oh i cant give you a quote until its 21 days before your policy ends, the rates are changing, and il only get an error on the PC. (my arse, last week they said i had to wait until 30 days before the policy was up)

The F*CKING motor adds on TV that are all showing young male drivers causing the accidents dont help.

THUMP!
    Young male, driving listening to that ****e unce unce unce music, car packed with more gob****es, misses a JCB and plays chicken with a truck or whatever and ends up in a wheelchair. I live in the country and dont actually rally my car around like that fool. the potholes alone would do enough damage.

CRUNCH!
    Young male, plays soccer, goes for a pint or two, then flips a kerb and wall and flattens a young kid playing soccer, yet manages to scramble away from the carnage unscathed! I play soccer, drive but dont drink.

SMASH!
    Young male, driving listening to that ****e unce unce unce music again, with loads of mates in car, and one not wearing a seatbelt.... guess what, THAT gob****e without the belt is a young male too, and he manages to headbutt everyone in the car, and his girlfriend twice, incidently il wager the guy who hit them in the add, is probably a young male driver too!!!
    No1 gets into my car without buckling up, im not paying no stinking fine for them cos il be charged as the driver if they dont wear it, front and back.

When i tried to make a complaint that they were discriminating against people my age and sex, i was politely told that as the adds dont sell anything, i cant do anything, yeah right! that was a politely put "F*CK OFF" from AXA who have their name stuck everywhere, technically advertising their company as sponsers, is the same as selling their product!

****.:mad:

mid-morning (my fecking train was late) over..... Ive a lot of anger, maybe i need help:rolleyes:

what do you think about these adds tho?
    and who has gotten the cheapest insurance rates yet???? come on keep to the flavor of the post... keep sticking up your insurance policies, so we can at least find out the cheapest around.

So far eaglestar direct have been my cheapest. with €3466 for my punto 01 1242cc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 NewSteelSplash

Yeah,
    I'm a 19 year old male living in Leitrim and I got insured on my brand new Audi A3 1.6 litre recently.

It cost me 1900 Euros with my full licence with lombardy Insurance

A mate of mine got insured with Eagle star today
    hes 17 on prov,never had one driving lesson in his life
    hes driving a 91 or 92 nissan micra
    he got insured for 6 months with TP,F&T for €300!!

couldnt believe it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A mate of mine got insured with Eagle star today
    hes 17 on prov,never had one driving lesson in his life
    hes driving a 91 or 92 nissan micra
    he got insured for 6 months with TP,F&T for €300!!

couldnt believe it!

I dont belive it either!

I did'nt know you could get insurance for 6 monthly periods...

Mike.

either did i but ya can get it monthly,if you want to add a person to your policy and the policy is up in two months,then you just pay fo 2 months,works out a bit more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

26yo (male)

Car is a 99 Corolla Luna 1.4 (yes, yes, it has a spoiler and alloy wheels but they came with the car. If anything the spoiler is bloody annoying when reversing)

Provisional licence, driving not for very long before getting the car so about a year now
    (passed test yesterday, whoopee)
    £2200 3pf&t (comp was fairly hefty so didn't bother)

Insuere is AXA

Due for renewal in April so I'll be scouring around soon

Here's an odd thing though. Got my GF added as a named driver recently. Cost nothing, they even gave me money back. Even understanding the concept of actuary tables it seemed rather odd.

My cheapest quote is STILL 3466 Yoyos with Eaglestar.

Apparently Hibernian now have an offer of up to 20% off if u do a advanced driving course they set, and a further 10% if u agree not to dirve between 6am and 11pm??? its also now open to anyone, before it was only Hibernian customers and their families, apparently hibernian pick up the training tab too, AND get this, supply the car for the course!!

im gonna check it out, so watch this space.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Morphéus
    not to dirve between 6am and 11pm??? its also now open to

Surely you mean between 11pm and 6am? :p No use to me. Sometimes I finish work at 12 and sometimes I start at 6.30am (leaving at 5.45). 11pm is waay to early, and time restrictions are pointless for full licence holders. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Apparently Hibernian now have an offer of up to 20% off if u do a advanced driving course they set, and a further 10% if u agree not to dirve between 6am and 11pm??? its also now open to anyone, before it was only Hibernian customers and their families, apparently hibernian pick up the training tab too, AND get this, supply the car for the course!!

dont u need to have 5 yrs no-claims bonus ??
    FFS, the idea is for to reduce accidents, safer driving...but if u have 5yrs no-claims...surely u are a much safer driver anyway ??
    it wont have any affect on young drivers...5 yrs is a long time,
    How many drivers under 30 have 5yrs no-claims ?...not many i say :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

This thread is simple...
    :o
    Tell us ur age,
    ur type of licence,
    ur insurance company,
    ur car type/size/age,
    how long ur driving,
    and how much ur insurance is?

27 Male
    Full Licence since I was 21
    PMPA
    Mondeo/1.6/97
    Driving since I was 19 (8 Years)
    Insurance was IR£4100 last year, dropped to IR£2500
    this year...

Have 3 claims, 2 write offs and one slight tap, 1 dead dog and 2 dead rabbits.. and counting... :rolleyes:

yea they do,but it only applys to the main driver of the car,not named
    Have 3 claims, 2 write offs and one slight tap, 1 dead dog and 2 dead rabbits.. and counting...

you should drop ure mondeo for a bumper car:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

you should drop ure mondeo for a bumper car:D

The Mondeo is my third car... what do ya think the 2 write offs are.. my last 2 cars.. a fiesta and a polo :rolleyes:

The Mondeo is my third car... what do ya think the 2 write offs are.. my last 2 cars.. a fiesta and a polo

too much GTA comes to mind

man you are a insurers dream!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

3 years full license
    Hibernian
    1.1 Fiesa
    €1,808 (20% discount : http://fb.via-net-works.ie/hibernian/story.asp?ID=74)
    My cheapest quote is STILL 3466 Yoyos with Eaglestar.

Apparently Hibernian now have an offer of up to 20% off if u do a advanced driving course they set, and a further 10% if u agree not to dirve between 6pm and 11am??? its also now open to anyone, before it was only Hibernian customers and their families, apparently hibernian pick up the training tab too, AND get this, supply the car for the course!!

I went on it a few weeks ago. The course was easy enough and they even give you a free lunch (I though it'd be a bit cheeky to take a strawberry and cream dessert though). 20% off your insurance is not to be sniffed at.

Catches? They don't give you the certificate you're supposed to get for passing an advanced driving test, so you only get credit for it with them. This isn't a problem though as nobody else seems to offer a discount for it. The discount probably comes out of your no claims bonus, so the benefits will only be short term (3-4 years).

Originally posted by gurramok
    dont u need to have 5 yrs no-claims bonus ??

eh? The only requirement is that you have held a full license for less than 5 years.

What's with the hostility towards Quinn Direct? I was with them last year and they quoted £1,200 less than anyone else. I steered a friend towards them this year and they saved him £750. This year their quote was lower than anyone else's, and the only reason I'm not still with them is the Hibernian Ignition scheme.

too much GTA comes to mind

man you are a insurers dream!!

Not really...

2 Years no claims bonus...

IR£2500

Dropped by IR£1500 last year :D

I know guys that are paying that one 10 year old fiesta's..

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

my mum and dad both have cars and if they were to get a third car for me to drive, would they be able to get a second policy on another car so I could become the named driver on the new car or can you only have one policy?

if that makes sense... :confused:

a/s/l Rachel

lol only messin
    :D
    my mum and dad both have cars and if they were to get a third car for me to drive, would they be able to get a second policy on another car so I could become the named driver on the new car or can you only have one policy?

nope because all the insurance co,s work together,and iure ure mam is first driver on her car,and ure da is first on his then neither can take out another first policy on a car,and especially wit u named driver,be so clear that ull only be driving it.

if u cud do that then everyone wud

dont hold me to all that,but pretty sure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 longie

age - 27
    ur type of licence - third party
    ur insurance company - quinn direct
    ur car type/size/age - citroen xsara 1.4i, 1998
    how long ur driving - two years
    Licence - prov 1yr, full 1 yr
    and how much ur insurance is - 1200e

Advertisement