Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Dsl Modems

Options
  • 21-02-2002 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

ESAT are lookin for their DSL trail (Last September) modems back on the 23rd of Feb. So get those dusty blue manta ray modems out from under closet and give em back! There's no point in holding on to them...is there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

yes there is, if i was you id make it as difficult to hand them back as i could.

you never know, in you get eircom i stream you may save yourself a few hundread euro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yeh, there the same modems that are bundled with i-stream.
    Dathi, how was the trial? Did it even happen? Your reference to dusty modems under the closet doesnt seem to indicate it got much use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Trial was fine 1mb full download capability for 4 weeks... could watch streaming videos at 3-400k from RealNetworks with out a hitch. Uploading FTP and streaming content brillo!! Gave it all I could and couldn't fault it. Withdrawal symptoms after the trial though were very bad. But a wireless future beckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Is it now the 10th Anniversary of DSL in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

watty wrote: »
    Is it now the 10th Anniversary of DSL in Ireland?

I wondered why you resurrected such an old thread:)

But yeah it must be 10 years now...and to think there was no demand for it according to eircom at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Telecom Eireann had brief ADSL trials in 1999. It might have been associated with that Ennis "Technology Town" bull, but I can barely remember. Sorry for off topic post.

Ennis 1999 was all ISDN

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

watty wrote: »
    Ennis 1999 was all ISDN
    I suspected as much. I think Sponge Bob said otherwise in a thread recently. I'm certain that Tinet had ADSL trials in 1999 though. Where in Ireland I don't know.

The public launch of Esat and Eircom about the same time. Esat off the Raheen exchange in Limerick and Eircom Dublin or Cork or both.

In our office we had to order an extra line from Eircom and then sign it over to Esat (at Esat launch end of 2001). I lived a couple of miles away but could not get Broadband till Digiweb Metro (fixed wireless) appeared in 2005. No LOS for a couple of WiFi Bridges on MMDS type dishes either. I think DSL arrived here in 2008, but it's more expensive due to crazy line rental. We have saved over €1,200 in line rental and dial was costing us a fortune, so over 3 years we saved about €1,800 in call charges, if we had used Eircom dialup till ADSL arrived.
    So total saving is about €3,000 and speed is a real 7.3Mbps down 0.9Mbps up typically on the 8/1 package compared to 19K to 42k (variable) on the Eircom line from 1998 to 2005 here (with a gap in middle using stable Chorus Wireless loop phone at 42kbps)

Advertisement