Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nt domain policy

Options
  • 21-02-2002 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

(soz for double threading but no response in security, thought there may be someone here who may be able to help......)

We have 3 labs, each lab has a network drive mapped for the students to save their work on.

The problem is that they seem to think it's funny to disconnect the network drive and then the next unsuspecting person that uses the pc afterwards starts giving out that they can't save their work and that they have no network drive mapped. So I get called upon to run around and reconnect the network drives.

Is it possible to implement a domain policy so that they can't disconnect network drives?

Or could I implement some form of script on the server so that network drives are automatically connected upon logon or reboot so I can just tell them to reboot/log off and back on again and save myself a bit of time in the long run?

server is running win2k server Sp2 and clients are running Nt4 with Sp6a.

I've also been hearing rumours about policies not working properly with later service packs on nt, is there any truth to this or is it complete rubbish :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

THis is a network issue, that is why i moved the last thread there. The moderator there must have deleted the topic, i dont know why, maybe you and he have issues, but this isnt the place for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

would it not be easier to just log off and then log back onto the workstation so the network drives will be reconnected. That is of course assuming that they are set to automatically reconnect on logon.

When youre mapping a drive you get the option to reconnect to it every time u logon (in case u didnt already know). I'd imagine this is the easiest way to do it because if you can change domain security policies there is something seriously wrong with your administrator

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

yes I had a look at it, there is nothing wrong with my administrator thanks, it's just that the students can disconnect the network drives and they weren't set up to reconnect at log on. problem solved anyway, thanks.

soz bout that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by Boston
    THis is a network issue, that is why i moved the last thread there. The moderator there must have deleted the topic, i dont know why, maybe you and he have issues, but this isnt the place for this.

? I have never deleted a single thread off this board and don't appreciate any indictments by you that I treat people differently because of 'issues' I have with them.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

A lot of folks put NET USE commands in the logon script to get around this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Create a policy for these users. Under Windows NT Shell you can remove the option to disconnect mapped drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

well i moved it here verb, if it wasnt you then it was an admin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

m8 You shud have just asked me in college.

Anyhow, im assuming you're using active directory

On the Active Directory server do the following:

Click Start -> Run -> Programs -> Active Directory Users and Computers

Find the user account in question

Right Click on the user - goto Properties

Goto the "Profile Tab"

Select "Connect H: To \\servername\sharename"

(where \\servername\sharename is the UNC name to the path you used to map the network drives to manually...)

Make sure you're permissions are set right, Log off the user, log back on, Disco \o/

Rent

(oh and btw, this is simple ****, what is u playing at. we learnt this in our course like 4 months ago, newb :p)

It would also be a good idea to set up a few OU's for the individual labs, and set up a Group policy to redirect the "My Docs" folder, that wud make mapping drives (which sucks), un-necessary.

Rent

[EDIT]
    Or set up a group policy to disable users ability to disconnect mapped drives...

Lots and lots of stuff you cud do here.
    [/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Originally posted by tactical anni
    (server is running win2k server Sp2 and clients are running Nt4 with Sp6a.

Correct me if I'm wrong Renton but if the above is the case then active directory cannot be used. I'm under the impression that active directory cannot work in a mixed mode enviroment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by SickBoy

Correct me if I'm wrong Renton but if the above is the case then active directory cannot be used. I'm under the impression that active directory cannot work in a mixed mode enviroment.

I'll do it for him :) You can run Active Directory in mixed mode or native mode. Mixed mode means you can use NT servers as BDCs. Native mode means you can only have Windows 2000 DCs. You can connect any client to a Windows 2000 domain, that doesn't effect what mode you run it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Create a student logon script.bat file and when all students log in the bat file will run and, presto map drives are there,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Oh:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

hehe thx lads, plenty to keep me entertained for about 20 mins there :)

Originally posted by SickBoy

Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man

I'll do it for him :) You can run Active Directory in mixed mode or native mode. Mixed mode means you can use NT servers as BDCs. Native mode means you can only have Windows 2000 DCs. You can connect any client to a Windows 2000 domain, that doesn't effect what mode you run it in.

Corrected :cool:

Also sickboy, its been at least a few years since ive made some wild speculations regarding you using a name from the hit movie "Trainspotting" (tm), and you'll be hearing from my solicitor very soon.

(joking btw)

- Rent

Advertisement