Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fred durst what do u think of him??

Options
  • 21-02-2002 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

i was just wondering what u all think of fred durst. he is in one my fav bands but everyone i talk to seems to hate him. and as for the polls in Kerrang! magazine they said fred durst was the most hatted and most slappable man on the planet. although i think of a man who is the most hatted i think you all know who im talking about.

"CANNOT KILL THE FAMILY BATTERY IS FOUND IN ME"
    (LYRICS FROM THE SONG "bATTERY" BY THE ALMIGHTY METALLICA)
    \M/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I hate anyone involved in Nu-Metal. Complete and utter crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

i don't like what i know aqnd think of him.

i think he's ,first and foremost,a business man.

also he's got this whole "jock" mentality going on;that's bloody bad jive.

his lyrics are cliched and repetitive.

he's not a nice guy.

anyone heard of the whole "buddyhead" incident?

i've too much time...

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

An utter c\/nt! Someone should make the prick eat that red f\/cking hat, what a knob!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Manufractured Individual

Originally posted by Gar_ptc

anyone heard of the whole "buddyhead" incident?

Bwahahahahahaa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 evil_L

he started out nice enuff,i was a bizkit fan myself. but now he's just a sold out spasmatron!! n i hate him :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

He's an American git!

He's just like Luois Walsh in some senses... A business man, who really knows nothing about music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Hitler wore a cap and waved his arms around like a rapper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

well the fool sure is hatted..... but not the most hatted... i think that has to go to the edge..hes been wearing wearing hats non stop for oooh must be 15 years now...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pencapchew

I think the Louis Walsh of the nu-metal world is a fair comparison.

I hate reading about this crap of him auditioning for a new guitarist in record shops. im glad someone threw a pie in his face not too long ago :p

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭The Evil Monkey

He's just like Luois Walsh in some senses... A business man, who really knows nothing about music.

talk about hitting the nail on the head! Congratulations Angel Whore, i never heard a better description of him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Brautigan

The following appeared on the discussion board at www.cluas.com recently - Might be of interest to some of you.

B

I just receved this in an email from a mate. Check it out. It's long but quite something. I did some searches on google about it which made me have doubts if it is all 100% true. But it appears that a good chunk of it is, at worst, close to the truth. Have a read if you're bored out of your tree.
    eoghan

"Some of you may have heard about the Limp Bizkit guitarist search. Basically, the band has been "touring" the country visiting Guitar Center stores, holding auditions for a new guitarist to replace the one who left the band.

The deal is this. From 7:00 to 11:00 AM you can sign up for a slot to try out that day. The tryouts are from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. During this time, they take you into a room to play your stuff. At the end of that time, you leave. They call three to ten people at 5:30 to come back to the place and play in front of Limp Bizkit. Out of those people, one is selected to return at 9:00 to jam with the band, and anyone who participated is invited to watch -- a free concert, basically.

So I arrive there, with a copy of our band's full CD in hand. I'm with a friend who wants to try out, so I go ahead and sign up too. We get there at 5:00 AM and we're pretty far back in line. Not incredibly bad though. Free donuts and coffee, so all isn't too bad.

10:00 rolls around. The line is moving slow, but that's to be expected. We finally get up around the corner of the building to the front of the line at about noon. Current total time there: 7 hours.

Get to the table, and I notice there's a waiver you have to sign. No problem, standard stuff. Then I notice it's a three page contract. This contract basically said that if you play, you must sign the contract. Okay. No big deal here either. So I keep reading it. An interesting note. Anything you play can NOT be copyright, and can be used by Limp Bizkit in audio, video, or recorded form of any sort. Other big words which basically translated to the fact that if you play something, they are fully authorized to steal it and use it on a CD. The artist agrees to zero compensation and zero rights over the track, and will get their name in the liner notes "if possible."

This didn't sit well, as me and the guy I was with were planning on playing something we wrote. So we sign it and decide to make something up. An annoyance at the very least, but we'd waited seven hours to get this far.

Then we got to stand in the parking lot for another two hours. We finally get inside at about 2:30, where it's another 30 minute wait for your turn. Current total time there: 10 hours.

So then we get the "rules". They are outlined for us straight out. No guitar solos. No playing cover songs. No playing copyrighted material. No playing Limp Bizkit songs. This effectively means that you're forced to play something that you made up, but don't have a copyright for. You may see where this is going.

Entering the room, there's one guy. He's got a mute button under his foot. His job is to make sure you follow the rules. If you break any, you get muted and kicked out immediately. So I go in, and there's one amp for me to plug into, and the settings are turned to "mud". It sounded awful, and was not pleasing to the ears. And it was loud enough that the awfulness didn't go away for some time. Then comes another fun part.

"You have 60 seconds to play. Starting now."

One @#%$ minute?!

So since the thing I'd been planning was two minutes and thirty seconds, I cut most of the parts out. Kept it under time (about 57 seconds), but it still sounded worse than a handful of ass due to that beautiful amplifier (hmm). And I leave the room and the line proceeds. We're told that the winners will be announced at 5:30. And that we are to remain in the front parking lot until that time. No leaving. Period. This makes for unhappy people. We're talking 200+ people here, plus any wives / girlfriends / husbands / boyfriends / family / friends which accompanied them. But what can you do? We stay until 5:30. Total current time there: 12 hours, 30 minutes.

5:30 rolls around. People are getting ansi. The clock keeps ticking, and it's 6:00 before we notice anything going on. Guitar Center management flags all their people and security to come inside to discuss something. They go in there, and the guy in charge walks out with a megaphone. After getting everyone's attention, the guy on the megaphone speaks:

"he competition has been called off effective immediately and will not be rescheduled. The band will not be performing with nor for anyone. They most likely will not be signing autographs. This is beyond our control, but we are ending it."

The guy then proceeds to enter back inside the huge glass doors, and two cops stand behind the door. They lock the building. After about an hour, most have gone home. The radio station is completely screwed, having brought their entire broadcast booths out to cover it. Everyone is very, very pissed. Me and the other guy stayed awhile to figure out what was going on. It's now about 7:30 PM.

Limp Bizkit now has over 200 guitar parts, written by various artists around here, which are unowned and not copyrighted. Limp Bizkit now owns these riffs. Limp Bizkit just stole 200 pieces of material right out from under these guitarists' noses, myself included. If I'd played something off our CD, I would be ABSOLUTELY pissed. I *am* absolutely pissed. They have completely ripped off hundreds of people, and they're getting away with it because they can. They're on their way to their next stop, and the radio station here has given out request line numbers for the stations down there for us to call and let them know what's happening over the course of this event, to warn them. But people aren't going to buy it. They're going to go and get their @#%$ stolen too.

To add insult to injury, Guitar Center ran a contest where the winner would get to watch the band play even if they didn't play guitar. One person and a friend. That person also won an autographed Gibson Les Paul Studio ($1500+ guitar) by the band. She showed up after a near 200 mile drive to the area. Guitar Center told her that the band refused to acknowledge the contest at this point, and so not only did she drive three and a half hours for no performance (which she took her ten year old kid to see as his first concert), but apparently the guitar wasn't given either. All because the band wanted to be one giant collective @#%$.

If any of you know anyone who's considering going to these tryouts, show them this message. If they have any questions they can contact me directly. I'm doing everything I possibly can to make sure this does NOT happen to anyone else. It's not my stuff I'm concerned about -- our CD is copyrighted completely and legally -- but I'm guessing 90% of the local bands who passed Durst a copy of their CD are going to be @#%$. Many bands, especially newer local ones, don't have the money or know-how to copyright their stuff, and by giving it to them tonight, they just basically tossed them a new Limp Bizkit CD if Fred wants to do that. I wouldn't be surprised if he copyrights their @#%$ tomorrow.

It hurts to look around and see hundreds of people get excited at the chance to be able to make something of their guitar work; to have a shot at being in a popular band, making a living doing what they dream of. Fred Durst and Limp Bizkit are taking that dream and @#%$ it over. And anyone who wasn't there who just caught the coverage at noon and 5:00 on the news just think everything is perfect. Happy Fred Durst in front of the cameras behind the place, fenced off, saying how good the turnout is and how happy everyone seems, and talking about all the great @#%$ he's hearing. That man is the true meaning of a music label representative. He's the perfect salesman and nice guy in front of the media, and turns around and screws everyone involved in the ass without having to take any hit in his overall popularity, and possibly gaining a @#%$ ton of new music in the process that he's ripped from people.

Not many things piss me off, but I'm pissed off. I'm not the only one. All sorts of "this band is playing tonight at this place, and they'd like me to announce to Fred Durst that if you're still in the area and you come to this venue, you will be able to see what a REAL band is like -- right before the real band beats your skull in." This radio station is sick of the @#%$ from this band, and so are its listeners. If this keeps happening, I wouldn't be surprised if some @#%$ goes down somewhere really damn soon."

Originally posted by The Evil Monkey

talk about hitting the nail on the head! Congratulations Angel Whore, i never heard a better description of him

Well, I could give you hundreds of accurate discriptions of him.
    ****wit ****up of a bastard ****head who should have been ass****ed to death at birth!
    PUT THAT IN YOUR CORNFLAKES AND MUNCH IT DURST!!!

But yes, other than mindless insults, it's as accurate as I'm gonna get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

he's a twat and his music sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

yes, he IS a twat, and his music DOES suck... here here!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

yes twat doesn't begin to describe that moron. there is no begining to his talent.

he is a terriblle, terrible mc with an annoying voice and, as was said, repetitive boring cliched lyrics.

a business man in a red cap pretending to be a gorrilla

I FVCKING H A T E Fred Durst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

Someone comapared him to Louis Walsh and said he doesnt know music.

Well he has mangaged to pratically, create, market
    sell, and make a hell of an amount of money like Louis out of music. So he may not be talented, but
    talent isnt everything.

Yet again, unsigned musicans angst.

Dont get me wrong, I dont like Limp Biscuit, but the cut themselves a hell of a chunk in nu-metal and for that Durst and co. deserve some sort of a pat on the back, or the big cheques they get every week.

Either way, the boy done good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

Ste K:

"Well he has mangaged to pratically, create, market
    sell, and make a hell of an amount of money like Louis out of music. So he may not be talented, but
    talent isnt everything."
    As a matter of fact talent counts for a lot in the music industry, even a child knows that. Are you saying that making lots of money out of music deserves some sort of credit or admiration??? Do you not realise that they are actually ruining the music industry with all this generic ****e?

"Yet again, unsigned musicans angst."
    Such patronising, blinkered bull****! Not everyone wants to be or is in a band, some of us actually have an interest in music and many of us possess taste, something you clearly lack.

"Dont get me wrong, I dont like Limp Biscuit, but the cut themselves a hell of a chunk in nu-metal (sic) and for that Durst and co. deserve some sort of a pat on the back, or the big cheques they get every week."
    So, once again you seem to be suggesting that making wads of cash while masquerading as a music group is a noble and admirable cause. Pat on the back? For what? For being easily manipulated by record companies and vested interests? For being unashamedly commercial and willing to flog their talentless asses at the drop of a hat? I'm all for making a few quid while restoring some artistic integrity but for these bunch of dickheads it's obviosuly the former rather than the latter.

The problem with your sort is that for some reason you seem to think Louis Walsh and his ilk are to be commended for their activities. They make a few quid and we're just begrudgers, is probably how your rationale goes. Well listen chump, this kind of **** is destroying the charts, turning them into vehicles for certain record companies and so-called producers. It's children's entertainment as John Kelly wrote in last Saturday's Irish Times, and in the case of Limp Bizkit, it's angry children's entertainment.

"Either way, the boy done good."
    Oh please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"music industry" - I hate that bleedin' term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"talent isnt everything" no, but it's everything that matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

that email put up by Brautigan is one of the most shocking documents i have ever read,
    whoever orginised that THING diserves to die a slow and painful death - i hope they burn in hell. that makes me F U C K I N G sick.- i own a limp bizkit cd, please excuse me now as i must go and shatter it into tiny pieces and burn the inlay cover.

I HATE BIG CORPORATIONS
    I HATE THEM MORE WHEN THEY GET INVOLVED WITH AND DISTROY MUSIC
    I HATE THEM EVEN MORE WHEN THEY TRY AND RIP OFF THE ORDINARY PERSON IN THE STREET.

DIE YOU B A S T A R D S!!!! DIE!!!!!!

ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND, I'M OFF

ferdi

• Advertisement

Originally posted by joey D
    Ste K:

"Well he has mangaged to pratically, create, market
    talent isnt everything."
    As a matter of fact talent counts for a lot in the music industry, even a child knows that. Are you saying that making lots of money out of music deserves some sort of credit or admiration??? Do you not realise that they are actually ruining the music industry with all this generic ****e?

"Yet again, unsigned musicans angst."
    Such patronising, blinkered bull****! Not everyone wants to be or is in a band, some of us actually have an interest in music and many of us possess taste, something you clearly lack.

"Dont get me wrong, I dont like Limp Biscuit, but the cut themselves a hell of a chunk in nu-metal (sic) and for that Durst and co. deserve some sort of a pat on the back, or the big cheques they get every week."
    So, once again you seem to be suggesting that making wads of cash while masquerading as a music group is a noble and admirable cause. Pat on the back? For what? For being easily manipulated by record companies and vested interests? For being unashamedly commercial and willing to flog their talentless asses at the drop of a hat? I'm all for making a few quid while restoring some artistic integrity but for these bunch of dickheads it's obviosuly the former rather than the latter.

The problem with your sort is that for some reason you seem to think Louis Walsh and his ilk are to be commended for their activities. They make a few quid and we're just begrudgers, is probably how your rationale goes. Well listen chump, this kind of **** is destroying the charts, turning them into vehicles for certain record companies and so-called producers. It's children's entertainment as John Kelly wrote in last Saturday's Irish Times, and in the case of Limp Bizkit, it's angry children's entertainment.

"Either way, the boy done good."
    Oh please.

Very well said indeed, Joey D!

I seriously think that people have absolutely NO IDEA the sheer amount of damage that this kind of "Music" does to real music.

For me, music is an art form. Quite easily the most beautiful art form.
    It's about expressing emotions and ideas, and for some bands (Like Rage) politics.
    And while I beleive there's no need for politics in music, I can respect a political bands motivations.

I take my music EXTREMELY seriously, it means an great deal to me.

But the kind of "Fred Dusrt" music is exactly the same as the Louis Walsh brand, and it has only ONE purpose: To suck up as much of the market, an make as much money in the least space of time that it can.
    There is no art.
    There is no emotion.
    There is no feeling.
    There is no beauty.

It's all just something that's draining life from an art form, and making it a product.
    And people don't understand that it's doing a LOT of damage.

So, no.
    People like that should NOT be given a pat on the back!
    They should be barred from doing anything in the beautiful art form that is music.

If Fred Dusrt built his own museum, and filled it with paintings that the general public thought looked nice, but had no artistic feeling, or emotion... Then torched a real museum, so he'd have no competion, what would you all say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Fred Durst and Limp Bizkit are product and not art.
    it is substandard low quality product at that.

Talent may not count for a lot in the "Music Industry" (whatever that is exactly) indeed there is plenty of evidence that it does not. Talent does however count for alot to those who love music.

I will not credit Fred Durst himself with damaging the world of music it is not fully the fault of the industry that is content to sell low-quality trend based acts rather than focus on quality creative artists. In the end it comes down to the public who buy this stuff. Both "The Industry" and Durst are supplying a demand. As long as the public is content to lap up enless low quality "Music" that is what they are going to get. Unless people expect and demand more the world of popular music is going to remain where it is and as Durts's popularity lessens he will be replaced with another talentless hack who someone thought they could market sucessfully.

Originally posted by atonal
    In the end it comes down to the public who buy this stuff. Both "The Industry" and Durst are supplying a demand. As long as the public is content to lap up enless low quality "Music" that is what they are going to get. Unless people expect and demand more the world of popular music is going to remain where it is and as Durts's popularity lessens he will be replaced with another talentless hack who someone thought they could market sucessfully.

It's not as simple as that at all.

It's not exacty the public who are going out and buying what they like.
    But it's the fact that it's marketed to the point of saturation!

People are so drowned by the amount of advertisements, airplay of radio/TV, guest appearances, signings, and a whole host of other shameless self promotions... That people literaly can't hear ANYTHING other than what's being shoved down their throats!

And that fact that there's two sides to this, makes it the perfect money maker!

On one side you have all the stylized Louis Walsh pop-groups.
    On the other side you have the marketed rebels with their pre-packaged angst, like Limp Bizkit and Slipknot.

And besides that, there's pop culture, peir pressure, and "The In Thing!"
    Every schoolgirl MUST be a Westlife fan, or be shunned as the freak. And lets not forget who buys the stuff in droves? Schoolgirls.

And if that side doesn't get the masses, why here's a few rebels who REALLY know what's going on! They can really relate to all the kids who feel pushed out because they're not with the whole Britney loving crowd. Just take a look at all the Slipknot/Linkin Park/Papa Roach/Korn lyrics.

It's all marketed to the point of saturation!
    And if one side doesn't get the masses, the others will.

So many times, as much as it would seem that if people wanted to hear something with proper meaning and artistic, inteligent points of view, they could listen to it if they wanted to. But because of all the prevously blurted reasons, they simply CAN'T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

AngelWhore- Good points, but people have all too easly accpeted this marketing blitz because it saves them the need to think. Unless people throw off the schackles of marketing they will not be free to choose. There is loads of good music in the world if you scratch the surface and those who seek it will find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

Fred Durst has put out some great bands from his label,Puddle of Mudd and Staind. He is nothing like louis walsh, there two completly different people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ryuji

Puddle of Mudd are really cool!

As for Fred...hmmmm...nah, I don't like Limp Bizcit, or any nu-metal, except Lost Prophets! THEY RULE!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Two words... squealing homo.

Ever hear his rendition of Master of Puppets? :p

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Ryuji
    Ever hear his rendition of Master of Puppets? :p
    Yup... I downloaded it. Then deleted it after one listen. :)

• Advertisement

LOL! It's utter rubbish! I downloaded it too, but I kept for all my friends to listen...thenI deleted it...

Advertisement