Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD-RW and DVD problems

• 27-01-2001 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

Guys need some serious help here!

Been having problem with CD_RW and DVD now for some time, pc hangs or reboots when its reading or looking to either device. If its looking at the device( ie exploring it) and you eject the disk the pc reboots.

I've been looking for the new drivers but all I find are firmware updates. Are these equivalent to drivers?

Im using a Mitsumi CR 4802TE CD-RW
    and a Pioneer DVD ROM 104 (on boot up it says 104 S 202) anybody know where i'd get drivers?

I recently formatted the whole hd and reinstalled Win98 again but to no avail.

I'm about to f*** it out the window now so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

when you say a long time did it just start happening or did it start after you added one of these drives ??

Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭shakel

No they were both working fine, I got the PC second-hand, they were working fine.

There was a lot of crap on the machine so I formatted and started again, since then i've had problems with the DVD.

Since I've tried re-installing again the problems are worse, the CD-RW has joined in on the fun now! frown.gif

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

Have you checked that windows isn't trying to assign the same IRQ to both drives ?.You might also want to look in your bios and see if there both showing up ok.In answer to your firmware question its a bit more brutal than drivers they flash upgrade the rom chip in your drives to add functionality.

Stone

[This message has been edited by THE SPERMINATOR (edited 28-01-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Go into your performance settings for your drives and make sure cache and read ahead are off or set to the lowest possible.

Sometimes having them on with fast drives can cause older machines to totally hang. If the drives are fast (over x4) then having it disabled should have no effect on performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If it's an Athlon system try reinstalling your Busmaster drivers. Also make sure you're not loading any CD/Rom dos drivers (Leftover from before the install).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭shakel

I tried what i could from what ye suggested and nothing worked, then I tried formatting again be used a identical but different Win98 CD, everything is working fine now!

Beyond me, but at least I can stop kicking the death outa my pc now.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Advertisement