Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Overpricing on games?!?!

Options
  • 21-02-2002 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed prices on games kinda shooting up since the euro has come out. Look at Metal Gear Solid 75 euro, the Xbox 500! Has anyone noticed if other games doing the same thing? It just seems while yes there are obviously going to be more euros than pounds there seems to be TOO many more euros than pounds. Are they taking advantage of the changeover?

Are shops/publishers overpricing games and taking advantage of the euro changeover? 30 votes

Yes I think they are taking advantage of the euro changeover.
    0% 0 votes
    No I don't think they are taking advantage of the euro changeover.
    100% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Votes seem pretty one sided,but what can ya do?
    I dotn have to pay rediculous prices though,because im from the north :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well if you're paying €75 for Metal Gear Solid, you probably deserve to!

www.play.com sells it for UK£34 stg inc. postage
    XtraVision sells it for €55 (less €5 from wwww.pigsback.com's offer) making it €50.

Shop around... Save time, save money..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Should be more like E45 though.

Shop around, buy in smyth's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I meant Metal Gear Solid 2 :) forgot the 2.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Last game I bought was Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, it cost €50.78 which is the direct equivalent of £39.99, I bought it in HMV.
    They were the only shop as far as I am aware that did not have the price rounded to the next €5.

Game €59.99
    EB €59.99
    Smyths €54.99
    Virgin €54.99

Therefore, one can only conclude that yes, these retailers ARE taking advantage of the Euro situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭MelKor

Originally posted by Pugsley

I dotn have to pay rediculous prices though,because im from the north :)

i know what you mean, im from kerry!!

what i mean is, theres a net cafe in tralee,(the only place in tralee that sells half decent games)and he gets all his stuff from the north.
    i bought mohaa for 40, op-flash for 35 and the op-flash add on for 12!!!
    thats all euro by the way
    it rocks

but i do actually think lots of places took advantage(the owner if this place is just an idiot!), but then again who didnt take advantage?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Basically don't buy any games in EB, Game or HMV. They never offer good value for money.

Best offline bet is Smyths, Gamesworld and then Virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

game prices where going up since before the euro ... muppets.

games have been going up in prices for last two years. if you go back over past releases and their prices you'd see that.

console games have always been expensive.

price of the pS2 ... convert to euros €500 for the xbox ... the price I expected.

Sprial there is a law that prices must be rounded down at the change over... you are just complaining over the prices and blaming the euro, get over it. game prices have been going up and up for ages.

PC games and console games alike. shops like EB which own game don't give you and special discounts don't confuse them with shopping in tesco and buying own brand goods.

best advice is to shop around, vote no

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Lord Khan,

Despite re-reading your post several times, I couldn't make any sense out of it.

Try adding a few more words to complete each of your sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

I understood lord khan fairly ok but Terminator has a good point. Try adding little words like the & and to your sentence to string the them together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

soz fer the last post it was off topic.

i voted fer Yes, they are screwing us rightly.

you know mennies? they have gone up to 25c in the local siopa! thats outlandish like a malfunction.

the funting (<- this being a substitute fer f**k) shop keepers are loving it to.
    ....................you bastards..................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

Originally posted by Terminator
    Lord Khan,

Despite re-reading your post several times, I couldn't make any sense out of it.

Try adding a few more words to complete each of your sentences.

the lamest reply. My post is not difficult to understand.

I even summarised it in the last line.

blank lines to break it up so it isn't one huge blob of text.

I stand by my opinion that game prices have not gone up because of the euro, but because of inflation and that they have gone up well before the euro came in. games like quake3(£35/€45) and more recent mech4(£45/€57) when they came out.

the price of everything will generally go up, inflation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Lord Khan

the lamest reply. My post is not difficult to understand.

I even summarised it in the last line.

blank lines to break it up so it isn't one huge blob of text.

I stand by my opinion that game prices have not gone up because of the euro, but because of inflation and that they have gone up well before the euro came in. games like quake3(£35/€45) and more recent mech4(£45/€57) when they came out.

the price of everything will generally go up, inflation.
    Newbs so they are, ignore them.

Advertisement