Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Er ... Win-socks???

• 22-02-2002 5:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

I think I'm having a problem with my winsock in windows xp. I can connect to my isp fine but I can't open any pages in ie and I mIRC tells me that it "can't create socket" when I try to connect.

I don't know sheet about winsock so I'm a bit lost to say the least.

Can anyone tell me how I can reinstall winsock or tell me what might be wrong with it at the moment and how I might fix it.

Any help is appretiated. It's getting annoying using windows 98 again. :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

hmm what is the exact error code you get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I don't get an error code as such.

I can ping all servers fine and can ping the url's as well. My connection is grand. It connects but Internet Explorer gives me the "page cannot be displayed" bullocks.

As I said mIRC hives a "cannot create socket". I suspected it might be my winsock in winxp so i fiddled with my winsock files in win98 to see if i got the same problem and, hey presto, i did.

I could ping fine but couldn't use my connection with any programs.

So I don't get any error messages with ie and mIRC gives me the above error. I tryed finding out how to reinstall winsock on the net but i couldn't find anything.

Any idea's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

hmm have you set Ie up to use any forum of proxy server or installed a proxy program on your pc recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

if u can ping ip's then ods are its not winsock issue and afaik xp dosen use winsock as such

try a different isp and try repairing IE

Strat, what exactly do you mean by "repairing." I'm a bit of a winxp n00b.

And Boston, I havent done anything to the proxy settings. I didn't do anything at all actually.

You see the whole thing started when one day I switched on my computer and Lo!, I couldn't open any programmes or executables at all. This was slightly worrying so I checked my system for viruses in windows 98 with the housecall yokey and found nothing. I then booted up xp in safe mode and I could open things again. I pooched around with the startup programs and turned off a few things and rebooted normally. I could open programmes but my connection wasn't doing anything. I could ping addresses but couldn't open any pages or connect on mIRC.

The only things I have in my startup at the moment is a kodak digital camera proggy.

Make anything clearer???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

By repairing he means going into add/remove programs, when you try to uninstall IE it *should* give you a repair option (I'm not at my XP machine), run that or else try reinstalling IE6.
    Did you try to run the SFC like I posted over on net/comms?

Nope :)

Didn't look at that thread again.

I'll try it though.

And I'll try the repair as well.

Thx again F_G

I actually took a look on XP for the repair and unless I've missed something, it ain't there. Best bet is try a reinstall from a cover disk or something like that.

Well, at least I wasn't missing something :)

From http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/howto-03.html

"The only way to repair Internet Explorer is to have sfc check the system files by running the command sfc /scannow from the Command Window (Start > Run). "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

doesnt xp and 2k check these files before start-up....
    add/remove DUN in safe mode might cure the buggre...if not could be a nasty fix..without format

• Advertisement

Yea I have a funny feeling that sfc will fix it. I'm thinking along the lines of a corrupted .dll and I remember doing the sfc sheck in win98 one time. Twas actually that that I was trying to remember how to do ... ;)

Unfortunately my winxp CD has uped and left me. I swear I never removed it from the box but you know how it is ... and considering the state of my CD collection, I'm thinging it might me a while before I can root it out.

I will however search vigorously for it over the next few days and hopefully find it in order to complete the sfc.

I'll post the final result when I do get it so you can all sleep easy again. :p

Thanks for the help.

Clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭lynchie

I had the same problem roughly 1 year ago with win2k. I could dial up fine and ping machines perfectly. However, I could not http,ftp,telnet or ssh, basically I couldn't establish any TCP connections. Couldnt figure it out at all and ended up reinstalling win2k. Havent had that problem since.

Can you ftp or telnet to another machine??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Have you checked your lan settings in Internet options (connections tab) -> no option should be picked

Secondly, you should check your task list and processes for web acceleration software such as webcel - also look for something called 'fatal'. If you see either of these up there you should end the task/process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I know this is probably very stupid of me but........
    It won't be something to do with that built in firewall XP has, would it?
    Check your security settings of IE, also.

Advertisement