Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Sells Aussie unit for $442m

Options
  • 22-02-2002 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/24169.html

THis may be relevant it may not. If they are sorting out their finances maybe they can start to finally upgrade their network properly so we can get an always on connection and they can generate more revenue. Alternatively maybe they can sell the network to someone who is willing to upgrade it.

Gandalf.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

I dont really know what to say if NTL sold the irish unit of NTL. I dunno if it would be good or bad news ? NTl are saying they will upgrade the network eventually in 2003, but still, I've heard a lot of bull in the last 2/3 years ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

To be fair, this could go both ways. NTL says that it's divesting itself of the Australian network so it can concentrate on Europe, and to be far, that /had/ to happen, they had to lose something. There's a chance that NTL Europe may now decide to start distributing the savings by concentrating on rolling out value-added services to tackle the Sky problem. And of course there's a chance they will divest themselves of the loss-making European subsidiaries, and concentrate on the more profitable, already-upgraded networks. It could go both ways really. It's probably already decided internally, the trick is in finding out the decision, and given NTL's lack of interest in being answerable, that may be difficult.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

If ntl sold off thier irish arm, would the buyer need to be another large multinational to afford to upgrade the current network?
    Does anyone know the last estimate of how much it would cost to complete the work?
    It doesnt seem like the amount of money that an irish company could afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by dahamsta
    the trick is in finding out the decision, and given NTL's lack of interest in being answerable, that may be difficult.

adam

I'm guessing you didn't get anywhere with their PR dept with the "Are you or are you not continuing the roll out of 2 way cable in dublin, as your telephone answering drones have been telling people you are." question?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I've moved the thread to Nets/Comms as I feel it's more appropriate to that forum.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm guessing you didn't get anywhere with their PR dept with the "Are you or are you not continuing the roll out of 2 way cable in dublin, as your telephone answering drones have been telling people you are." question?

Their PR manager was on holiday, and got back to me Monday; and then Wednesday, asking me to ring her (I kid you not -- as if I can afford it with my phone bill). I didn't get the chance to ring her yesterday, so I'll be getting in touch this afternoon.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

remember, ntl ireland actually makes money for ntl, its the fact that they paid about 200 million over the odds for the company that shows a paper loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭R_Tribesman

i didnt know that Boston,
    but its a good point , interesting..

Advertisement