Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple console deathmatch Poll!

Options
  • 22-02-2002 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Ok the big three (or not) go head to head to head in the mother of all polls. So, which of these consoles will you expect to own or want to own when they are available?

E&OE
    This poll does not constitute a written agreement between the moderator and the poster. No refunds available. Shinji's opinion is his own and is (tm)Shinji. All trademarks are their own except ones that aren't. No purchase neccessary. People who post up something like "waaaah! why is the dreamcast/neo-geo/yore-ma2000 not on the list?" are just plain stupid. Any posts by Aerzial are just plain stupid. This is not a complete rip-off of my homepage. I like cake(tm) is a register trademark of Hackett Industries. All rights reserved. All rights wronged. All lefts righted. All writs wrong. All whites blacked. Up is down. Right is might. Left is lovely. All cakes reserved. No Devore's were injured during this post. Buy now and get 2 free. Ban Castor Troy. Amp testing is illegal in the state of Utah. Any posts to this thread automatically become the property of amp, Shinji and Microsoft as well as the poster themselves. You know it mocks sense.

Which console will you own/lust after? 71 votes

Playstation 2 (Sony)
    0% 0 votes
    GameCube (Nintendo)
    36% 26 votes
    Xbox (Microsoft)
    35% 25 votes
    Atari Jaguar (other)
    28% 20 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm eagerly awaiting my little cube of joy from Ninty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

gotta go for the atari!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

[sarcasm]
    Atari Jaguar ahahahahah.
    /me falls off chair from laughing too hard.
    I never get tired of that joke no matter how many times they use it in different threads.
    [/sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I want to play halo on the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Chubby
    [sarcasm]
    Atari Jaguar ahahahahah.
    /me falls off chair from laughing too hard.
    I never get tired of that joke no matter how many times they use it in different threads.
    [/sarcasm]

Oh such sarcasm! The sheer weight of it is crushing meh! Look how I am being crushed by the sheer wit of Chiubby!

WON'T SOMEONE SAVE MEH FROM TEH SARCASM!

Aghh no.... it's.... no ..... use. I r defeated..... Chubby takes the crown of the Most Sarcastic Man In The World (except the moon)

Loser.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

/me hands amp the +4 STAFF OF SARCASM

Thanks for the loaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

What's this I hear about a console war?

This season, three huge companies are competing to convince you to spend most or all of your waking hours on their machine pretending to kill aliens, beat up irate people from around the world, and/or rescue unidentifiable Japanese-designed friendly beings from unidentifiable Japanese-designed evil beings.

How is this different from last year?

Last year some of the game consoles in the battle were as much as five years old. In game console terms, that means that they were the equivalent of unholy beings kept alive by unnatural forces and dark incantations long after they should have passed from this earth. The latest round of machines are much fresher and newer, which means that the unholy powers can go into marketing instead.

How do the consoles differ from each other?

Unlike previous generations where the differences were simple and easy to articulate, such as "Mortal Kombat on the Genesis gots more blood," the differences among these machines involve pushing polygons, bump mapping, and other phrases that sound like excerpts from "Debbie Does Flatland." The actual effect this has on the screen is subtle and often difficult to see, which is why each machine is now bundled with a rabid fan of the system recruited from various discussion boards around the Web. This fan will stand over your shoulder and point out reasons your machine completely rocks over the competition. They will also make disappointed noises and roll their eyes whenever you fail to play the games at optimal efficiency, but that's the price you pay for progress.

Which console should I buy?

That depends on which company you hate the least. Modern video game purchases are motivated primarily by the desire to see some console or another perish in a yawning rift that opens up beneath it, brimstone and the wails of the damned reaching up as the console sinks into a lake of fire, as happened with the Dreamcast.

So which companies should I hate?

Thanks to the wonders of capitalism, there should be a console to match any of your prejudices and preconceptions. You should hate Nintendo if you can't stand the idea of people wanting to play a game that doesn't involve arterial spray, as Nintendo has been known to encourage people under the age of fifteen to enjoy their games. You should hate Microsoft if you believe that the company that controls the Crazy Taxi franchise controls the world. You should hate Sony if you bought a Dreamcast.

Shouldn't I base my decision on the games available for each one?

Your naivete is charming.

adnans

No really, you guys don't find this Atari Jaguar business getting old? It's like the budweiser wussup ad, amusing first time you see it but then it just becomes annoying. Maybe it's just me. I am sure hearing the same joke over and over amuses you guys.

Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar! Atari Jaguar!

PS2 since ive never played the other 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I have a GC and PS2, and will get an X-Box when it gets price drop. Or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Ps2 - Sony Screwed everyone for games.

GameCube - Never liked nintendos kiddy-approach, and the one time I took advice from the folks here and bough a GBA, it was the greatest waste of money 'It's like a handheld playstation'...to quote someone who should have known a HELL of a lot better ;). More like a handheld Sega16 for those born with nightvision.

Xbox - Msoft, expensive bound to be issues, but has a lot of decent games already.

Originally posted by _CreeD_
    Ps2 - Sony Screwed everyone for games.

Xbox - Msoft, expensive bound to be issues, but has a lot of decent games already.
    Sony screwed everyone for games and xbox has lot of decent games already? Oh my god. Please back that up cause that sounds like you know very little about games and what's on offer.

Obviously Rez, GTAIII, Metal Gear Solid 2, FFX, and Ico aren't games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

That panasonic dvd gamecube thingy looks leet, rather expensive though :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I don't see what the big deal is about Rez myself, rented it out with a few friends yesterday and yeah it's fun, but if I'd paid full whack for it I'd be very disappointed. It's fun while it lasts but it's really short and I didn't really have any desire to play it again after. It's definately original though, and fun, it's worth renting but I wouldn't buy it.

Tbh after a couple of hours on a friend's PS2 and Rez, GTA3 and Unreal Tournament i'm not really impressed, and I'd probably be inclined to go for a Gamecube or maybe even wait and buy an X-box if/when it gets some good titles and the price falls. But then there's FFX, which makes the decision a lot harder for me :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Good lord! It's exactly tied 4 ways! Probably shouldn't have made it multiple choice.

P.s Hope nobody from Codemasters reads this thread. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Nintendo.

Haha now the GameCube is in front :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by Chubby
    Sony screwed everyone for games and xbox has lot of decent games already? Oh my god. Please back that up cause that sounds like you know very little about games and what's on offer.

My 2 brothers got PS2's from the first release batch (one works for the transport company that handled most of them in Dublin and got a good deal from one of the shops they supply). They were both waiting nearly a YEAR before anything better than 'Its okay' came out. Therefore, after paying all that money they were screwed. This isn't just their/my oppinion either. It was the biggest single criticism of the system for that first year, though yes it is changing.
    Soooo, I do have a bit of a clue what I'm talking about, I'm just taking history into account. I would not buy a PS2 simply because to Sony their game-release schedule is more about strategy/inter-company politics than actually giving their customers what they bought the thing for in the first place (I know all companies have to strategically market their products, I'm not naive, they just take it to the extreme, as they have done with all of their products).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

'It's like a handheld playstation'

I think the qoute was along the lines 'its better than a playstation' ;)

Originally posted by _CreeD_

My 2 brothers got PS2's from the first release batch (one works for the transport company that handled most of them in Dublin and got a good deal from one of the shops they supply). They were both waiting nearly a YEAR before anything better than 'Its okay' came out. Therefore, after paying all that money they were screwed. This isn't just their/my oppinion either. It was the biggest single criticism of the system for that first year, though yes it is changing.
    Soooo, I do have a bit of a clue what I'm talking about, I'm just taking history into account. I would not buy a PS2 simply because to Sony their game-release schedule is more about strategy/inter-company politics than actually giving their customers what they bought the thing for in the first place (I know all companies have to strategically market their products, I'm not naive, they just take it to the extreme, as they have done with all of their products).
    Okay, so you were referring to the initial PS2 launch which you should've said as your statement does not reflect the current lineup of games available.

Without sounding like a defender of all things sony, I am sure it was part of their PS2 strategy to force games developers to delay their games for ages just to piss PS2 owners off. They also brainwashed everyone into not looking at games lineup for the coming future and into buying the console for the sake of owning one. People like your brothers were screwed for games as you put it because they are buying consoles for the wrong reasons. Consoles are for playing games. If there are no games you want to play on it, what the hell is the point of lusting after one?

As for X-Box having lots of decent games already, if by lots you mean 1 or 2 then okay. Most of the games looks rubish there are no games I see that are coming out soon that would make me buy a X-Box. But that's just personal preference in games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Nintendo, no questioning it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I want a Cube for 3 reasons
    1 i have a PC why buy an Xbox games will get here eventually .
    2 I have a PS2 and about bleedin time i got some decent games for it ,GTA3 ISS 2 worth buying the thing for them 2 alone.
    3 I want nintendo games cos they are just better ,they make me play again and again .
    And GTA3 is coming out on PC ,ISS will come out on Cube .
    Anyone want to buy a PS2 ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭MelKor

I HATE CONSOLESES.....??.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Nintendo fail to dissappoint me. 1st prize for Gamecube!

PS2 has some decent games..hopefully we'll see some decent PC converts.

X-box...over-hyped piece of poo. The screenshots look dire, and they have very few good launch games.

Atari............sorry! was looking at Adnans sig! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭BlackMagic

I cant wait to play gamecube and the X-box

but id say the x-box will be sh][t

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

how can that game cube go in front.

are you all pokemon fans or what.

But im thinking of getting the game cube for my son as he is only 4, and getting boared with UT CTF.

Yeah, and can I suggest picking up the Resident Evil series, Die Hard, Duke Nukem Forever, Eternal Darkness and Mortal Kombat for him as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Yeah, and can I suggest picking up the Resident Evil series, Die Hard, Duke Nukem Forever, Eternal Darkness and Mortal Kombat for him as well?

Ohhhh burn

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

PS2, only because I have no hands on experience of the other 2. I will be getting a Cube but I'm a bit suspisious about all the XBOX hype. All the XBOX fanboys(having never even seen the thing in the flesh) claiming it will be better because of the Spec. Well my PC is well better(Spec Wise) than any of the consoles and with a controller connected it plays just like a console(on tv), however it is not better than my PS2, just different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

i had to vote atari i loved that system.... as for the other 3, I think i'll be getting them all... depends on what games are released....

Advertisement