Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to be a computer technician

• 22-02-2002 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭

i want to be a computer technicain. i am in the galway area. anybody got any companies i can pester for a job for the summer or even in for a longer term i have some experience and i have done a course on pc maintenance and repair. i dont wanna move from galway as its close to home in achill island(anybody ever heard of it or been there) i am still at college doing a degree but wont be going back.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Finish your degree. It will be worth it in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Not much money in this job if you go in with a big league company.
    But its one of the more lower paid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wasting your time mate, no jobs in Galway and especially if you have no experience or a stronge qualification.

do your Degree and come back in a year or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I deont think i made my self clear. i finish the degree this year and i am looking for a company to get my foot in the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

what was the degree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

never mind what kinda degree, U have a degree and want to be a tech! actually i know i guy in UL who felt the same way... i don't see why???

The reason i'm saying this is because i'm doing an accelerated I.T. tech course... its' an 18month cert with 6 months on site training :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fredthebread

where are u doing the accelerated tech thingy. Is it good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'm studying in Tipperary Institute, the course is also run in Carlow, Athlone, Sligo Cork and numerous other places.

Click here for course description

p.s. TI isn't running the course as of this year? and afaik there's only a few other places still running it.

I'v been informed there's also a diploma which requires one extra year. TI are not doing this (i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

ive been working as a tech in a hospital for over 6 months and i have no certs apart from a poxy Comptia A+ and the money not bad at all, it goes up as you find a department you want to learn about, like Networking, imaging, etc theres not much money in the whole hardware/software fixing/upgrading area

BomB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by bombidol
    ive been working as a tech in a hospital for over 6 months and i have no certs apart from a poxy Comptia A+ and the money not bad at all, it goes up as you find a department you want to learn about, like Networking, imaging, etc theres not much money in the whole hardware/software fixing/upgrading area

BomB

a+ is an industry standard cert. maybe not in ireland, but ive seen a lot of people asking for it in england, so its not entirely useless. why not go and do the network + or sevrer+ ones and thats a quarter of an MCSA done

as for no money in hardware/software fixing/ugrading, you are seriously wrong there mate. seriously wrong.
    what do you think most IT companies do?
    sit around developing applications for other people to install for them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I said not much money, and i meant to the actual tech himself the company might be raking it in but most techs start out just upgrading repairing ETC then move on to a particular area wheres theres a hell of a lot more money, Eg. Networking, Security, Admin. I have the Net+ too, and the A+ might be an industry standard for helpdesks maybe but in the real world you would learn more with computer and a screwdriver. Ill be doing The Cisco exams in a while too when i get my head around it all.

bomB

Advertisement