Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat or spirit land line charges?

• 30-01-2001 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

Just wondering is there any advantage in going with esat or another telco for my landline?
    anyone have any experience with another telco?
    Id like to dump eircom if i can.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

we got ntl
    phone's are fine
    we got 2 new numbers and lost our old one
    we live in the first area for ntl tho
    package we got was good
    £20 a month
    - line rental on 2 phone lines
    - basic 13channel cable tv (sky1, etc)
    - 24/7 56k net access

Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy.
    The following tale of alien encounters is true.
    And by true, I mean false.
    It's all lies.
    But they're entertaining lies.
    And in the end, isn't that the real truth?
    The answer is: No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

I take it that you mean switching your local loop provider.

Esat and other companies don't provide this at present. They do "carrier pre-select". You still pay line rental to Eircom.

Currently most homes have no choice but to stick with Eircom for their local line.

I'm not sure whether this unbundling of the local loop will change this as I believe it will only be "bitstream" unbundling.

If you are in a Chorus area, you may be able to switch over to a wireless/cable phone system. This is due to come on-line sometime in April. They will also have a limited cable modem system available.

To switch your land line over to NTL requires access to their bi-directional network. Only 36,000 homes (mainly in the Tallaght area) have been upgraded to this. Recently they announced that they were (temporarily) halting their upgrade plance due to unforseen costs - though it's a good deal if you can get it (especially the cablemodem!).

Advertisement