Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound-alikes !!!

Options
  • 22-02-2002 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody here have any soundalikes they would like to get off their chest?

I'll start the ball with the intro to Ash's Shining Light and Reef - Place Your Hands. Not copied but they sound similar.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

this is an odd couple, not really on your topic but anyway:
    piano in pearl jams black & guitar at the end of depeche modes home.... pretty much the exact same short melody (if you want to call it that)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Scon

Pearl Jams Black actually reminds me a little of Space Oddity by Bowie and Radioheads True Love Waits intro sounds A LOT like the intro to Howie Days Kristina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Andrew WK's "Let's get a party started, let's get a..." and The Beach Boys' "Surifin' Safari" "Let's go surfin' now everybody's learning how", (I'm not talking about the lyrics, the tune sounds pretty similar to me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

lead singer of the white stripes sounds very similar to black francis of the mighty pixies.

anyone else think so?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

not so much, he sounds more like Robert Plant from Led Zep
    He's got the whole Blues hight pitch gruff thing going

But that video with the lego in ti thats ****ing cool
    must have taken ages to buile
    probably hired loads a kids to build it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭insanebadgergirljess

the lead singers from pearl jam, creed,incubus, nickelback and the calling all sound the same,i think they just swop them around

and the intros to 'bullet with butterfly wings' by the pumpkins,and 'sunshine of your love' by cream are soo similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

i posted this before.......

I bought Green Days Warning agood while ago and from day one i noticed that i heard it ALL before.
    Warning is Picture Book by THE KINKS
    Hold on is I can't figure it out but i know it from somewhere. Somebody help.
    Jackass is Well Respected Man by THE KINKS
    Wasted Life by STIFF LITTLE FINGERS
    Waiting is Downtown by BILLY JOEL
    Minorty Sounds like the POGUES
    All the songs infact sound like something i've heard before. Can anyone else suggest something.

It's a good thing that it's a great ablum or i'd be very ****ed off.

I wonder does Ray Davis know

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭The Evil Monkey

hey i thought i was the only one who noticed that!! Its still a good album but alot of the songs sound like they're taken straight from the Kinks best of collection.
    I think Hold On is "dedicated follower of fashion" by the Kinks but i could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

the beatles were the biggest monkies rip off in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

"Drown" by the Smashing Pumpkins
    "Testimony" by Grant Lee Bufallo
    "Pick a part that's new" (ironic?) by the Streophonics

They all have that '9th fret open string' guitar riff thing going on...Similar sounding, but not liable to spark off any royalty court cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

hey beany, dont forget Pavement Tune by the Frames, same deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

does anyone else think the guitar in the chorus of lou reeds "dirty boulevard" sounds like the guitar riff to michael jacksons "black or white"???? hmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by 120_Minutes
    does anyone else think the guitar in the chorus of lou reeds "dirty boulevard" sounds like the guitar riff to michael jacksons "black or white"???? hmmmmmmmm

****, yeah! Never occurred to me before, but goshdarnit you're right.

Obvious current one that comes to mind - Dandy Warhols 'Bohemian Like You' and Rolling Stones 'Brown Sugar' (but it's probably 'deliberate' and, y'know, 'ironic').

Originally posted by Lolo

****, yeah!

I keep forgetting you can't swear on these f*u*c*k*i*n*g boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

The ending of the frames song "dance the devil" utterly rips of "in the meantime" by spacehog (the song was enormous in america).

the ending of frames "stars are underground" is almost literally "kashmir" by led zep, but i think this might be intentional cos the lead-in lyric s "when the piper plays this song.."

"wake up" by RATM also totally rips off "kashmir".

"smells like teen spirit" guitar is quite like "more than a feeling" by boston.

"inside" by stiltskin (huge song in a levis commercial with this bloke in a lake..) - the chorus progression is literally lifted from a smashing pumpkins song on gish... name escapes me... if u had it on tape (god i'm old..) i think it was the 1st song on side 2....

not necessarily a rip-off... but alot of ppl don't realised that the main "riff" (for lack of a better word) in 'riverdance' has been around in various forms since the 30/40s.....

i'm sure i'll think of loads more when i hit 'submit reply' .. :)

Originally posted by soma

"smells like teen spirit" guitar is quite like "more than a feeling" by boston.

tee hee, yes - SLTS is like a minor key version of MTAF. It's good fun singing one along to the other.

I used to devote part of my show on a Another Leading Dublin Pirate (cough) to 'Plagiarism Corner', that was one of the ones we featured. It was the height of Britpop and I felt it was my moral duty to expose Elastica for the shameless looters they were:

'Line Up' = 'I Am The Fly' by Wire (or is it called 'Fly In The Ointment'?)
    'Waking up' = 'No More Heroes' by the Stranglers, etc etc

here's some more:
    bon Jovi 'Living on a Prayer' and Belinda Carlisle 'Heaven is a Place on Earth'
    Pulp 'help the aged' and Don Maclean 'Vincent' (listen to the lines "one day you'll be older too" in HTA and "paint your palette blue and grey" in Vincent)

I feel sorry for people like George Harrison who accidentally plagiarised somehting while genuinely believling they'd come up with the tunes themsleves ('My Sweet Lord' is an unintentional rip-off of 'He's So Fine ' by the Chiffons, they won the court case).
    That happens to me nearly every time I try to write a song.

my god i was just listening to nevermind by nirvava and i realised that polly (new wave) sounds just like polly! but faster!!
    Is it just me or did you notice it too?

Back in the USSR was obviously a Beach Boys rip-off

and Dirty Boulevard came first...

Originally posted by Monkey
    Back in the USSR was obviously a Beach Boys rip-off

Weeelll, there's a fine line between pastiche/tribute and rip-off, I'd say it's more of an affectionate piss-take of the surfer genre in genral, BBs in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

>That happens to me nearly every time I try to write a song.

haha - yeah i know what you mean.. I once thought I'd written the best ever vocal-melody line (and normally i only write guitar parts for my band) until I realised I'd flippin' ripped off the beatles!!!!

As for elastica's rip-off's I was SHOCKED when I heard that original strangler's song!!! I mean people rip stuff off all the time for but this was taken note_for_note !!! did they actually dream for a minute they'd get away with it!

I meant it was an acknowledged rip-off, it was never meant to be seen as original sounding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

Radiohead's Creep sounds very like "The Air that I Breath" by the Hollies.

On the verse that is, not the chorus....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

THE RADIOHEARD - basically the endless stream of UK bands that sounds like Radiohead but more mass market, some of these band are really good and talented, some suck horribly most are simply mediocre - and they are all getting quite boring.

Muse perhaps could be considered as a Radiohead copycat band.
    They are good most of the time but
    There moving on, you know to new things but then again so are Radiohead!
    I might be wrong! ha ha ha ha NO.

Tha SIX group yolk if you listen really carefully to there song it sounds kinda lik a big pile of SH1T.

Advertisement