Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has anyone ever heard of NVRAM ??????

• 22-02-2002 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

i got this new cheap comp l8ly made out of spare parts. its got 64mb NVRAM. has anyone ever heard of this b4 cos i sure as fcuk havent - and whats d story with it?-is it so **** that i havent heard of it? can i change it around - put like SDRAM innit as i want to upgrade.
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

non volatile ram
    and you can change it
    you can put memory in if it has the same keys on the bottom of the stick and if the motherboard can handle the amount you put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

NvRam is normally only used for your BIOS, or on PCMCIA memory cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by conZ
    i got this new cheap comp l8ly made out of spare parts. its got 64mb NVRAM. has anyone ever heard of this b4 cos i sure as fcuk havent - and whats d story with it?-is it so **** that i havent heard of it? can i change it around - put like SDRAM innit as i want to upgrade.
    :confused:

As mentioned previously, Non-volatile RAM. It would be extremely unlikely that you have 64Mb of the bugger, as it is not like standard RAM. As _CreeD_ said, it is used for the BIOS - the idea being that you can update the BIOS, but it keeps it's settings (non-volatile) when the PC is powered off.

In contrast to this, the main memory in a PC (DRAM) will lose it's contents when it is powered off (hence the need for a hard-disk). As NVRAM keeps it's contents when powered off, it is a hell of a lot more expensive than DRAM, hence why I suspect it would be unlikely that you would have 64Mb of it.

TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

When the machine is booting, it probably looks something like this:
    Checking NVRAM.
    65536 KB OK.

It just means that its checked the NVRAM (where the bios is stored), then checked the DRAM (main memory).

Advertisement