Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dune

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

there's a series!? fair enough the film was good too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I've seen trailers for this but have never managed to see it, how did you mange to watch it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

ok...seems people need to be setright about a few points here

1)Azezil...I will beat you for this, the Dune movie was atrocious, a fact that anyone who has read the novel will attest to

2)There is a series, and it is good, but (as someone judging it having read the book and been mightily impressed), I felt that they made one or two major changes, (like the role of Prinscess Irulan), which completely contravened the actual story, and then some minor changes to compensate for character emphasis, and in the prcess destroyed some awesome characters, (Duncan getting hit by a missile......need I say more?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by AngryBadger
    1)Azezil...I will beat you for this, the Dune movie was atrocious, a fact that anyone who has read the novel will attest to
    well everyones entitled to their own opinion no matter how stupid it is :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I've read the book(s), seen the film and watched the series...

Book is amazing. No doubt about it.

Film is typical lynch.. you either get into it, or you hate it. He's just one of those directors.

The series was mostly harmless, but took some directions with the plot which I didn't like. Can't say I was that impressed.. but it's watchable.

If anyone wants to get their hands on the series to see it ... just go down to your local xtravision or chartbusters etc., they have it in stock on VHS.

c0y0te

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by AngryBadger
    ok...seems people need to be setright about a few points here

2)There is a series, and it is good, but (as someone judging it having read the book and been mightily impressed), I felt that they made one or two major changes, (like the role of Prinscess Irulan), which completely contravened the actual story, and then some minor changes to compensate for character emphasis, and in the prcess destroyed some awesome characters, (Duncan getting hit by a missile......need I say more?)
    I read the novel and liked the movie, thanks for telling me my opinion too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Originally posted by meglome
    I've seen trailers for this but have never managed to see it, how did you mange to watch it?

It was released a few months ago on dvd

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I recently rented the three episodes from xtra vision and thought they where excellent. The film was good in my opinion but not as good as the book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Well most of them never match up to the book but I liked the series explains a lot more than the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I've read the book.

Excellent.

I saw the (original) film, and ok, it was decent enough but was very strange hard to understand but you got the general idea. The thoughts in the actors heads was a good idea, but didnt really work.

Decent.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but it isnt a series?
    I mean the whole thing is done and dealt with at the end of the 3rd. As I understood it was basically splitting this monstrous book into 3 films, like a triology. Which worked quite nicely cos they could stretch it out, which the first film couldnt do.

In the end I thought it was far better than the original film, but not as good as the book. But then when is a film ever?

Ivan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

well it was a sci-fi production, and is named as one of their best series, but hey, maybe I'm wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

I am still fascinated by the quality of the books.

The film was OK, even if I think that you would not be able to get a proper understanding of what is going on unless you read the books.
    I've seen very little of the series, but I don't like Tv anyway, so I find very difficult to sit down every day/week at the same time to follow a series. Thus, I can't talk of the plotline in the series, the rest is OK, but will never be as good as a great imagination combined with a good book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The "series" was a made-for-tv miniseries. Not a trilogy of movies or anything else.

It was relatively successful, and has received mixed reactions. Personally, I thought it captured much of the book far better than Lynch did, but like everything has its flaws and weak points.

Fans of the mini will be happy to hear that (last I heard) the second book of the Dune series ("Children of Dune" I think) had been green-lighted for a "sequel" mini-series.

jc

Advertisement